MAX AA - ridiculously OP?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by SirJMD, Feb 14, 2013.

1. SirJMD

- Can't see them because they don't render
    - Extremely accurate
    - Does 2-3 times the damage of the Skyguard (lightning tank)

At 500 meters away a single MAX can bring my mosquito down to 70% health in about 2 seconds - well before it even starts to render. A single swift fly-by brings me down to 30% health. And this is just a single MAX.

Not long ago I bought the Skyguard turret.. It's a joke. Completely gimped compared to the MAX - and this is a tank with 4 barrels. The MAX can move anywhere the tank can - but not vice versa. The MAX can be revived (for some reason...) - the tank can't. Landing hits on the tank from an airplane? Easy! Landing hits on the MAX.. forget about it.

Am I the only one that feels this is a bit messed up?
    • Up x 6
  2. Morpholine

Overpowered? Not at all.

Mind-bogglingly better in all situations than a Skyguard? Yep. But the problem is with the Skyguard, not the Max.
    • Up x 17
  3. Aghar30

max takes at least 2, usually 3 people to function correctly, they also have to specialize in order to be able to do what you say they can do, dual burster max is about damn near useless against infantry, and totally useless against tanks. They also need an engie dedicated to giving them ammo/health. The skyguard is still a bit of a joke but in teams of 2 or more they are quite useful. To use maxes effectivly you need 3+ with engies and other support to keep them functioning.
  4. GhostAvatar

Question, how the heck do you know it is only a single max if they don't render for you?
    • Up x 12
  5. RobotCriminal

I feel pretty much the opposite actually, the only way that you are going to kill anything with the AA max is if you have about 2-4 of them working together.
    • Up x 2
  6. Yil

o_O
    • Up x 1
  7. Metalsheep

The AA MAX has to sarifice his ability to do just about anything else in order to combat Aircav. I don't mind that they have some punch. They actually have to hit you with nearly 80% of all their shots to actually kill you in one pass without reloads. (Not including ext clips)

The Skyguard is woefully weak compared to its MAX counterpart, however. It does look freakin awesome at nighttime though, watching the stream of tracers shoot up into the sky to tickle some libs.

But a smart MAX suit wont open fire on you right away, he'll wait untill you move in for an attack run and light you up once you are committed. I get alot of AA kills this way, because the Aircav thinks there is no AA untill its well within its killzone.
  8. SirJMD

I had high hopes for the Skyguard when I bought it, and why not? Four long big barrels, tons of metal launched toward the enemy.. aaaand nothing. You would thing it was accurate with those long barrels, right? I can literally snipe people with my lightning tank and the 100mm HEAT. But with the Skyguard it is as effective as p*ssing with your eyes closed and in headwind - it's all over the place and you feel embarrassed.

And you have to specialize the lightning tank too. You need ammo as well - you can't just get that from infantry, you need a sunderer with the proper upgrade or a ammo supply tower. You need an engineer to repair the tank, if you're not an engineer yourself - and if you are, you need to expose yourself and get out of the tank.

And if you die as a MAX in a big battle, someone will revive you. And someone will repair you, because it gives them extra XP doing so - more than repairing a tank or any other vehicle.

After buying the Skyguard I just feel violated :(
    • Up x 2
  9. Hamakua

OP? I disagree, and I mostly fly a Mossy. (~280 hours).

Better than the skyguard? I think they both have advantages and disadvantages, the AA Max has a few more than the SG, but both have unique advantages the other does not.

The SG has more range that the AA MAX and more importantly, Maneuverability. I regularly chase wounded aircraft or quickly re-position myself so they don't get away on their return leg by changing my cone of fire relative to natural obstacles.
    • Up x 1
  10. Morpholine

Excellent point.

A single max (or indeed any anti-air platform that isn't also an aircraft) isn't killing any aircraft that's not previously damaged, tunnel-visioned on something else, or asleep at the keyboard. Especially at ranges where they do not render to the pilot.
    • Up x 1
  11. TeknoBug

No I think it's just right, a single burster still takes forever to kill especially against EFS's with tier 5 composite. Dual burster can down an ESF if *EVERY* hit lands.
  12. CoffeeBreak

AA Max is incredibly OP...when some Mossy is hovering 20ft above you trying to rocket pod and doesn't even notice you.
  13. AccelPrime

MAX burster is not OP, Skyguard is ridiculously UP. Don't try nerfing something that is in no need of a nerf, average forum whiner.
  14. Ayabe

Bingo.

1 Max can deter an ESF but only a bad will die, if there are multiple ESF's then the AA Max is most likely toast if there is any coordination whatsoever.

Mr. Solo ESF is still going to get at least one salvo off, but with a Max on him he can't sit there and dump multiple loads.

Extended mags help somewhat with Libs, but ESF's can still easily escape due to their speed.
    • Up x 2
  15. Aghar30

I would laugh at this if it didn't happen every few min, gotta breathe sometime :)
  16. Morpholine

The Skyguard's gone through several iterations ranging from godly slayer of all things aircraft to (if you can believe it) even more "meh" than it currently is.

Unfortunately, SOE seems to intend for it to be sub-par to its Max mounted counterpart.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Burster Maxes should be very deadly to air up close, but lack the accuracy to be very effective at long range, and the Skyguard should be accurate at long ranges - even if it's TTK on aircraft is lower than the Max suit's, overall.
    • Up x 1
  17. ManowarKills

MAX suits still render much better than HAs using lock-on missile launchers, which is to say they render outside 250m and you can actually see their projectiles to figure out where they are shooting from. Also unlike HAs, MAXs have to aim at and properly lead their targets. Even when close enough that the other infantry renders, MAX suits still stand out and draw lots more attention to themselves if not properly concealed.

If the MAX AA is "ridiculously OP" then I don't know how to even begin to classify how powerful the HA is.
  18. IronWarrior

They need to need to render better, I think we can all agree there.

At the moment, it's like they have stealth. They can see you and shoot you, but you can't see them unless you get 50m+ close to them but by them, you are asking to die.
    • Up x 1
  19. 13lackCats

Anyone who wasn't opposing the disinformation when the lobbyists were fighting for "Air/Ground Equality" is equally to blame for what has happened.
  20. CoffeeBreak

Nope, was not trolling. Most of my ESF kills with AA Max, shotgun, LSG, Carbine, etc are all from reckless pilots hovering or slowly gliding over me.
    • Up x 1