MASSIVE NERF IN SARON:time of refund cert and sc

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Navoletti, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riffix

My only complaint really is that it is such a change from the previous variant. I agree that it was always silly that it was basically the same as the halberd though. I feel like it would have made more sense for them to continue the theme and make it a charge-type weapon like the lancer but I guess my gunners and I will just work on taking full advantage of it. It's certainly more versatile.
  2. Ash87

Join the NC, who said we want you?
  3. Keiichi25

Uhm... The Saron was not 'dead accurate' at times after the first change, because there is that delay in the shot. Now you don't have that delay. If you read the posting about the Saron:

You will note... The Highlighted section. AS a RANGED weapon, the first shot is pin-point accurate. This means it for long range sniping, yes, it won't do massive damage, but also notice the other stats mentioned...

Increased in projectile speed and removed the firing delay. Which means now it is 'click to hit' similar to the lancer/vortex. The bloom was set to make it so you don't spam a target with 2550 damage (that 6x425) at long range, but at close range. If you noticed, 1 shot in .2 seconds, that means you will do about 2125 in 1 second at close range, assuming you hit with all 6 shots.

Which means... WHEN USED PROPERLY... It is a nasty weapon for Close range. The damage it does per shot to infantry is less than half of what it would do and a slightly smaller range, but again, the fact you can spam the fire around, 5 shots in one second, makes it still a bit nasty.
  4. Keiichi25

You keep forgetting... The VS are suppose to be the Half TR/Half NC faction, where they can have the rapid fire with the heavy hitting traits, just not the strong pro both. So in this case, they get the accuracy for range, but they can't spam it nicely, but in close, they can go all out, so in a sense, they are similar to the TR's Vulcan, but at the same time, without huge amount of rounds, the damage is a bit higher, but not nearly as much as the NCs.
  5. EliteEskimo

I'm not forgetting that per say, but I really thought they had the Saron nailed as a precision single shot laser cannon. Only time will tell what the Vanu think of it.
  6. Ashur

So now we have none, our main gun already is a crap, poor placement, poor velocity and stupidly high drop combined with low damage make it the weakest out of the 3, and weaker than most secondaries.
  7. Zenanii

Give it a week. Then pass judgement
  8. Trucky

If they were going to do a spammable laser they could have make another weapon, really.
  9. QuakerOatsMan

The saron is as strong or even stronger at close range than a vulcan now, while maintaining a strong long range capability. What the hell is everyone complaining about? Just learn to manually semi-auto.
  10. LibertyRevolution

Well my main is NC ↓...
  11. Ashur

If your rocketpods turned in to AA missles I'd say you'd be pissed as well. This is essentially that, SOE took a weapon we all bought and certed and replaced it with a completely different weapon using the same name.

Even when they perfectly balance the new saron it's not the gun I bought and certed, and this doesn't really inspire me with confidence to buy more stuff just to watch it backfire on me.
    • Up x 1
  12. Frosty The Pyro

well asuming the patch notes are acurate and ttk vs vehicles remains about the same if fired semi auto in adition to havin the short range option of full auto for faster damage then this is a buff mechanicly. Also looks like the .25s warm up delay is gone, and thouh it never bothered me, plenty of yall have complained about how "big" a deal it was.

So here is some dps math for ya

Old saron
    461 dps (508 upgraded)

New saron acurate
    425 dps (447 upgraded) 850 burst

New saron full auto
    607 dps (654 upgraded) 2125 burst

For reference
    Vulcan (old vulcan? I heard someone mention vulcan changes, but the patch notes only mentioned visual change)
    606 dps (714 upgraded) 1280 burst
    Those are AV dps by the way, raw (AI) dps is a bit higher

New enforcer
    539 dps (551 upgraded) 700 burst
    500 dps (512 upgraded) 650 burst for the haraser version

so you are giving up 36 long range dps and the ability to one shot infantry for removing the fire delay, and increasing projectile velocity, and gaining 146 dps at short range.

The change was radical, but it was not a nerf.
  13. SinerAthin

It's DPS over longer ranges has been significantly nerfed.

It used to be a 1.4k(somewhat) damage pin-point tank sniper.

People bought the Saron because they wanted a long-range weapon, not a short range weapon. During its many changes, it has been turned from a long-range weapon into a short-range weapon.
  14. ValorousBob

The problem is the Saron isn't supposed to be a close ranged weapon. The COF is massive anyways, and the Mag sucks at close range combat so in practice that part of the change isn't really a buff. Nerfing the ability to one shot infantry was ********, they were really hard to hit anyways, so why the **** did they nerf it? They just lowered the skill ceiling on this weapon massively.
    • Up x 1
  15. isilyan

Yup and SOE changed it just as they fixed micro stuttering in the Mag:(
    The Saron is a whole new weapon imho, cant say yet if its good or bad, need alot more time with it too have a balanced opinion about it.....
  16. WalrusJones

It looks like the vulcan.....
    If it had a baby with flux pods.
  17. Ibuprofen

It appears that you are factoring an extra 0.5s delay into the time to empty the clip. Since your first shot is fully accurate, you only need to wait for the CoF to shrink 5 times, not 6, so the burst DPS happens over 2.5 seconds, putting the accurate burst damage at 1020. I'm not sure if the reload doesn't start until 0.2s after the last shot or as soon as you fire the last shot, so the full accurate firing cycle takes either 5.5 or 5.7 seconds.

If it's 5.5, the sustained DPS is 463, with the old Saron at 461. At 5.7, it would be 447.
  18. Phazaar

One person's opinion... Are you denying there are tankies who aren't irritated with these changes (NC, also)?

Myself, I like the new Saron, and the new Enforcer, but I'd still rather have the choice of using the old ones too... It just seems silly to change a weapon so much (along with a graphics redesign too!!) without taking the opportunity to make a few SC and give the players some more shinies... It seems so unlike SOE ;)
  19. FigM

I have to admit that Saron change is uncalled for.

I don't remember hearing any major complaints about Saron. Who wanted to make it rapid fire 6 shot?
    It just seems like a completely random change that SOE pulled for no good reason. And as any such change, of course it will have bad feedback. It was simply uncalled for.

I support the idea of refunds for any equipment that is significantly changed. (having more than 5% deviation from norm)
    If SOE wants to have random changes in the game, they need to have consequences to their actions. Refund is the only thing that can make them think twice.
  20. Jinrei

I was told "Customer Service is unable to grant any compensation for items changed by game updates, hotfixes, patches, etc". EDIT: I was granted a one time refund, thank you, SOE. That is all I wanted because you need to give us the ability to test it, or at least a heads up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.