[Suggestion] Map size vs Map population.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Leandre, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Leandre

Everytimes I play on low population server I feel like the map is getting bigger too quickly. More players should be allowed on 3 way map before it get fully opened! We had a good fight in the only possible spot, then map fully opened and fight died.. after that people just vanish all around the map and it become impossible for hours until you get in a decent fight again!

I feel like the same is true when a second map open... sometimes there is no good fighting yet and another map open...

OR... another situation... there is an alert with full population...which is fine, then you have choice between 3 empty's maps!
    • Up x 1
  2. Leandre

Again today it feel like Redeployside 2! Map is too big for the pop it got...

116 total players pretty much balanced across factions +/- 38 x 38 x 38

Then if you consider afk people, builder and cortium farmer it is actually less people willing to fight!

Let's say 25 x 25 x 25 divided by +/- 7 lattices = AVERAGE FIGHTS OF 3 PEOPLE!
  3. Badman76

Cere's is similar. You either go to that one place where the rest of your faction is fighting at, you ghost cap, or stop ghost cappers

The large battles are almost always a stalemate, the ghost cappers are usually infiltrators which are never fun fighting against, and if you try and ghost cap yourself, the enemy will take out your sunderer then you
    • Up x 1
  4. Leandre

Exactly! My point is that if the map would be smaller, then some fights would happen instead of every factions ghostcapping and avoid each others...
    • Up x 2
  5. FABIIK

I agree. The sweet spot where best fights happen is usually in the middle of the map... just before the warpgates stabilize... :(
  6. The Shady Engineer

Agreed.

Playing on a freshly opened continent generates surprisingly good fights. Usually involving a huge 3-way battle in a large facility, which was designed to accommodate large numbers of players, in the middle of the map.

It's such a shame that most of the time these fights are ended not because a faction was able to secure an advantage and push the others back but because the continent opened up prematurely and the population dissipated, turning an amazing battle into 2v2 skirmishes and ghost caps across the continent.
    • Up x 2
  7. RabidIBM

I'd say they need to bring Koltyr back in in a bigger way. For those situations where to pop is too big for the current continent, but not big enough for another, open Koltry, make it start a mini alert easily, then check again to see if another full continent is warranted. The current system of unstable alerts annoys many players, as those can start after the alert on the main continent, and finish before it. Had one a few days ago on Connery where most of the pop missed Indar because of that.
  8. Blam320

They would need stronger population controls if they want to make fighting on the off-pop continent fun. Incentives for people to want to flock to the underpopped faction(s) so it's not utter domination or a 1v1 while one gets ignored or warpgated.
    • Up x 2
  9. ecomizombi

I think they should introduce Kyltor, and other mid size continents for pop overflow. Instead of sending players to Hossin with a gimped lattice, the overflow should be sent to a smaller continent to play on. Continebts should unlock in a staggered way Large>Small>Large>Small, Indar>Kyoltor>Amerish>????. I think this would help the gameplay remain in tact even during times of low population.
  10. Leandre

UP!
    • Up x 1
  11. RabidIBM

Still just as relevant as it was when originally posted. Additional points, the map needs to open in increments, and not go from one lane to full map all at once. Also sometimes the off continent will start an unstable alert while the main continent is in alert. What happens is the whole server pop crashes the unstable alert and don't have enough elbow room. I'd say that if enough population joins an unstable alert, the map should open up and add more time.