[Suggestion] Map Editor Access

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JudgeNu, Jan 7, 2018.

1. JudgeNu

I have said this a year or so ago and i thought id try again.

It would be nice if we were given access to the map editor to make our own base. You give us a plot of land and we have to make a base on it.
    It could be a contest.
    You give us the parameters.
    Winners get to have their base featured and/or other prizes.

I have made maps for fun for Duke3d and some for my community in CS:S.
    I have always wanted to make one for Planetside2.

Worth another try.
    • Up x 1
  2. FateJH

You just want to place those giant green rulers everywhere, don't you? :p
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  3. PlanetBound

Myself and a few friends used the BF2 editor for our mod. The down side is continent / map making is an extremely tedious process requiring a lot of work just to place things correctly and modify the world. And then to assign the correct settings to all entities on the map. Not really a simple drag and drop.
  4. Luicanus

This is a fantastic idea, I've argued for it myself before, forge world on Halo was the most fun thing ever. I used to even make maps for C&C: Red Alert it's fun to create fora game you love.

Granted it would be tedious, and I expect 9 out of 10 people who set down to make a map wouldn't finish their work. And of those only 1 in 10 would be of sufficient quality to be implemented in live.

However, from this supply of a few dozen possibilities the devs would be able to make minor edits and balancing changes and with relatively little work they could have a slew of new bases.
    If they found some people who regularly produced maps/bases of a high quality then they'd discover options for hiring if they chose to develop more maps in the future.
  5. JudgeNu

Tedious? maybe to some. I like Tedious. For Duke3D you had to do several tag edits to link items and directions it operates (teleports/lifts) and you couldnt even make a room on top of a room. You could just create sectors and either lift them or lower them.
    Hammer editor for CS:S is easy once you get to know what is needed.
    I have watched a Planetside 2 Map Maker on video feed and it is just as "easy" as Hammer. IDK if he still works for PS2 or not.

Sure not everyone would be able to do well just like in game. There are a lot of factors to consider.
    • Up x 1