[Suggestion] Making ESF composite armour worth it: make it reduce the 'on fire' threshold

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by a4555in, May 21, 2014.

1. a4555in

Right now, composite armor on ESFs is the least used- because all it does is reduce damage from flak and only flak ,giving you an measly extra ~3 seconds of life in most cases.(The small arms resistance is very negligible)
    My suggestion is make it decrease the on fire threshold with each rank. Maxed composite armor means you NEVER catch fire- the only way to kill you is to get you down to 0%.
    • Up x 4
  2. Burevestnik

I can sort of support this.
    • Up x 1
  3. Halkesh

The idea of "no fire for me" isn't bad. I agree ESF composite armor should have something to make it a competitive choice against NAR.

But just for info, ESF +10% resistance to small weapon is very strong : it increase the total resistance to 90% (from 80%) so it double effective HP against small weapon.
    • Up x 1
  4. NoctD

The only way I think you can make Composite Armor viable is to make it resist direct damage from explosive sources - if it could be used to mitigate Dalton, MBT, Decimator OHKs, it would actually become viable.

The burn threshold is of little importance really. If you have Fire Suppression you can survive, if you don't chances are likely you'll lose the ESF.
  5. a4555in

No, 10% more resistance means you get 10% more health, not double. To me it is inconsequential because infantry rarely fire on ESFs- coordinated focus fire is effective, but most foot soldiers have other duties than scanning the sky every minute to do some chip damage to aircraft.

I don't think making ESFs more resistant to explosive ordinance will be good- they are already too agile to dodge most OHK rockets. Landing an OHK shot requires tremendous amount of skill or luck. The shooter should always be aptly rewarded for landing a shot.

Since being on fire DECREASES vehicle handling and also provides a constant damage source, a vehicle that can preform to it's fullest untill it's utterly destroyed IS important.
  6. Halkesh

Unlike MAXes flak armor, ESF composite is 10 % additionnal. So, 80+10 = 90% resistance, it double effective HP.
    Anyway, you're right, infantry rarely shot at ESF.
    • Up x 2
  7. biterwylie

It definitely needs a reason to use it. It is pointless at the moment.
  8. FaLI3N

No. ESF do not need to be tanky..
  9. a4555in

Aha mybad.
  10. TheBlazing

I think it just needs to give some more resist against flak. Nothing major, but hell, the Lib composite armor reduces damge by 50% or so.

And what about upgrades with drawbacks? For example, Strafe Runner Armor: decreases damage from all sources by 25% and flak by 60% if the figther is flying at over 130 Km/h, but increases it by the same values if speed is below 130 Km/h. Also places a warning indicator on the HUD that warns the pilot when they are flying slow.