Make Players Complete Mandatory Vehicle Driving Training Before They Can Spawn a Vehicle

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AFK1, Nov 4, 2014.

1. AFK1

Over 90% of my deaths are from team kills, and the majority of those are from being ran over by a strafing Magrider. I have been killed by people moving sideways in their Magriders more than any other single cause of death in this game

Everyone that plays this game should have to complete a mandatory driving course before they can pull a vehicle. If they teamkill a few people with vehicles, then they should be forced to go through the training again and again until they stop running people over
    • Up x 3
  2. Alkezo

I highly doubt that. Besides, you must be new here if you're annoyed at dying from a friendly Magrider. Its common knowledge its exceptionally better at running over friendlies than enemies.
    • Up x 2
  3. Ronin Oni

Hyperbole much?

Also, as an occasional tank driver, I'd like all infantry to go through training on what roads are used for.
    • Up x 10
  4. OldCuban

Dude, if 90% of your deaths are from being run over by a friendly, then the problem isn't them.....it's YOU!

Making people take a driving course with the expectation that it will in ANY WAY reduce your TKs is asinine.

LTP!

Or are you the same type of person that crosses the street and expects all traffic to stop simply because you're in the way?

Ha!

Darwinism at it's best!
    • Up x 1
  5. Champagon

hmmm this is starting to sound like things PS1 did. To the letter. Funny how things come full circle like that

Shout out to PS1 vets
    • Up x 1
  6. AshHill07

As a primarily vehicle driver I will say that infantry need to learn what not to do around heavy moving vehicles.
    My Vanguard brakes suck! If you value your life, don't run in front of me!
    • Up x 4
  7. chevyowner

I could understand if you were exiting a building that is not close to normal vehicle traffic and got killed by a friendly, but it makes no sense to complain about it when you are in the road.

Come on man the roads in PS2 are there for idiots to get team killed by friendly vehicles...jk...
  8. z1967

I'm fairly certain that you can dodge a Lightning barreling towards you by jumping over it. Not flying, just jumping.

Also, http://planetside.tk/ exists, OP can just plug their names into there to figure out how many deaths are actually from TKs.
    • Up x 3
  9. FBVanu

yeah, we suggested this a long time ago....

the first training would be for infantry to learn to look before crossing the road..
    look before jumping off a bridge, from behind a tree, jumping out of vehicles
    look before.. oh, you get it..
    don't walk/run in front of firing vehicles
    don't jump on top of vehicles

after that training, then they would qualify to take the ground vehicle training..

they would have to learn to drive on the right side
    get out of the way of any friendly vehicle that comes towards you while it is smoking..
    tonnage has the right of way
    don't drive in front of friendly firing vehicles..

but all of that would require players to pay attention.. . and, well, :confused:, what was that again??
  10. Schizomatic

Drivers:
    Press T before you backup.
    Spin your turret around to look before you reverse.
    Check to your left and right for pedestrians before stepping on the gas.
    Refrain from strafing while near a friendly base, spawn point or collection of friendlies.

Pedestrians:
    The sides of a tank are the safest. Unless it's a Magrider, then you are truly f*cked.
    If it's a Magrider, give it 10m, at minimum.
    Glance left and right before crossing a thoroughfare.
    Check the facing of the turret to see if the driver sees you before getting close.
    ALWAYS assume a driver will backup when taking fire.
    • Up x 4
  11. Flag

First things first, how would you make a short yet useful vehicle tutorial?
    It can't be too long, and somehow convey whatever it is you feel is needed for new drivers.

Second.... The whole magmowing thing is tied deeply into the way damage calculations, and network delay interacts.
    Basically... On their end they're not running over anyone, yet in reality they are.
    If you'd spent a reasonable amount of time in said vehicle (the mag) you'd known this. And if you have spent "a fair bit" of time in one and haven't, that's a failing on your side.

TL;DR: It's more complicated than you make it out to be. On both accounts.
  12. VaIhall

Magriders don't have turrets that they can turn
  13. EGuardian1

When interfaction proximity chat is brought in, I will drive my Sunderer at top speed through a formation of friendlies and enemies blaring

"MOVE *****. GET OUT THE WAY, GET OUT THE WAY *****, GET OUT THE WAY."
    • Up x 2
  14. DrPapaPenguin

In that case every infantry player must seat a Rules of the Road theory exam before spawning.
  15. P1GG

They should also have a to fill out a form. Like, and in-game document with all kinds of fine-print. Yeah...Bureaucracyside 2....that'd be awesome.
    • Up x 2
  16. GhostAvatar

Can we have the same for nade tossing as well.
  17. Drasilov

Just bump friendlies to one side or make roadkill TK's not count. No issue then IMO.

The problem I have is with people deliberately roadkilling teammates. It seems to be getting more and more prevalent on Miller.
  18. Schizomatic

Press T, rotate camera. It's much faster than turning the whole Magrider.

I know Magrider drivers know the T-key function. It's bleedin' obvious when a Magrider starts dancing around the second someone with C4 approaches from the rear. It's not psychic ability. You're in third-person mode. You see that guy creeping on you. Mag drivers can do the same for people around them.
  19. AFK1

Yes
  20. Taemien

Do they not teach you to look both ways before crossing a road in public schools these days? 90% of deaths, means you're screwing up big time.

Here's how it works. Bigger things have right of way, always:

Galaxy > MBT/Sunderer > Lib > Lightning > Harasser/Valkyrie > ESF > Flash > MAX/Infantry
    • Up x 1