[Suggestion] Make nanoweave armor an item instead of a suit

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Halkesh, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Halkesh

Title.
    Corrent problem is NW is always better than other suit. But now, what if you have the choice between NW, C4 and medkit ? The choice is harder.

If nanoweave as an item is still always chosen, maybe we can also add a nanite cost on spawn ? (like for the MAX cost, but only 25-100).
  2. Campagne

Problem then becomes everyone chooses Flak instead, and we could all have both at once. :confused:
  3. Sazukata

Bonus effective HP with no downsides is a mistake no matter what form it takes.

The only way nanoweave could be remotely acceptable is if they returned it to extra health but added a considerable movement penalty.

Or just delete it, reduce headshot multipliers, and call it a day.
  4. Corezer

flack would definitely be the most common by a good margin, but I don't think it would be as ubiquitous as nanoweave.

As for OP, I would just straight up remove nanoweave and lower the HS multiplier to 150% damage, that's it.

The cert refund would be nice...
    • Up x 1
  5. Xebov

The 150% HS multiplier should only count for full auto weapons and some of the pistols. Semi-Autos should keep their 200% as tehy are meant to be accurate and it would set them appart from full autos.

As for Flak Armor, i would also remove it and make some of its capabilities passive. The C4 and Grenade resistance would be good as its still spammed alot.
  6. LaughingDead

Run the numbers on every single gun in the game and then tell me if 150% headshots would be balanced. Because in some situations in which the gun is often a semi-auto weapon you have it dealing more damage in headshots than weapons like the saw.

Also no, passive anything is simply a bad idea unless balanced for a particular class. Simply having passive flak is like saying all grenades shouldn't 1 shot even if I sit on them.

It's always better, but making it a deployable doesn't make it any less annoying to fight. It's like if I simply moved the heavy's shield to his tool slot, all that does is make the heavy not run a rocket launcher in more cases.

I am almost always an advocate of counter balancing, in which if there is something, there is a tool to counter that. The only things we do not have counters for are: Repping in enmass, motion spotters, strictly better ESFs and reviving.
    Repping in mass will simply leave you wasting ammo. Motion spotters are "countered" by sensor shield but that's only if you're 15 meters away from it at lvl 4-5 and even then, that's an implant not everyone can aquire, a better ESF will always **** the lowbie ESF no matter the situation to the point it's not worth running an ESF and no matter what you do to a corpse you can always revive it.

Nanoweave is something that is semi-countered by headshots but there is not reasonable ability based counter in which better players simply **** average players even harder. It's a perpetually feel bad design in which no one likes playing against it but no one can run without it. I believe there should be mid-to long range guns that can bypass the armor itself (I've said this before by the by) to counterbalance the lower tier damage model with a purpose beyond being more effective at range. As with guns designed for close range you are going to be either hitting headshots already with far higher dps and it gives the longer range guns more of a niche to fill as they are far less popular weapons.

This way you can have the new players buy weapons that can nullify the effectiveness of nano, increase cashflow to DB to fund the game, not overpower weapons that dominate the CQC scene and give long range weapons a niche in which they can be used at long range more effectively without increasing their numbers directly.

Probably wouldn't be as busted as you might think. Now ASC and nano, that would be annoying as ****.
    No other armor has a penalty tied to it and could be disadvantageous to put certs into it which sets it at a different tune in which all other upgrades and loadout picks have no drawbacks besides not picking something else. Plus nerfing harshly something that someone has already puts certs into sucks, let's do less of that please (I still want my god damn refund for my kobalt thermals dammit).
  7. Halkesh

While nanoweave armor removal is clearly the best option, I don't think lowering headshot multiplier will improve the gameplay that much once the headshot to bodyshot damage ratio is back to x2 (from the current x2,5).

For flak armor, I'm completely against making it a passive : explosion are still supposed to be lethal threat.
    On the other hand, I think C4 and tankmines resistance should appear at lower rank instead of max rank.

I hope if nanoweave armor is removed, all the damage reduction are transferred to flak armor (except of course for small weapon).
    And once NW is removed and flak armor is improved into to protect against nearly all vehicles damage, maybe we can upgrade other suit to the same level of usefulness.
  8. Prudentia

Symbiont Implant: 20% small arms resistance but if you do not take damage for 30 seconds it deals ~100 damage to you. this damage can not kill you and leaves you at 1HP
  9. Xebov

Scoring hits with faster firing guns is easier while strafing and misses dont hurt that much. For slow firing weapons its the other way around. Its harder to strafe while firing and harder to hit strafing enemies. Changing HS multipliers according to that would simply put risk vs reward into place.

Thats the point where theory hits reality. We have alot of grenade and C4 spam in the game. Simply due to the fact that you usually end up in limited rooms so you cant get away from it.
  10. FateJH

But then flak armor becomes the problem due to the number of bonuses it encompasses and conveys in a single package. Prejudice against small arms resistance is not a justification for creating a monster on other terms just becaused you don't care about all the other damage reduction.
  11. Halkesh

I'm not sure about that. Even that upgraded version of flak armor will still have limited usefulness as it's still a situational armor that is only effective against vehicles and explosion (explosion aren't that common without vehicles nearby and as long as you don't go inside a bio lab).

The only thing to do is making other suit appealing enough so people will be willing to leave the safe protection provided by flak armor and try other cool stuff.

Something like this :

Flanker suit (replace adrenaline pump)
    Increase your mobility and make you harder to spot by recon tools.
    Rank 1 : Gradualy increase your sprint speed up to 140% of your normal sprint speed after a 4 sec acceleration. Taking damage or changing direction too sharply reduce your sprint speed to normal speed. Recon dart and motion spotter won't spot you if you walk unless you're at less than 15m.
    Rank 2 : Maximum sprint speed increased to 150%.
    Rank 3 : Maximum sprint speed increased to 160%.
    Rank 4 : Maximum sprint speed increased to 170%.
    Rank 5 : Maximum sprint speed increased to 180%.

Utility poutch
    Increase your defensive item carry capacity
    Rank 1 : You can carry 2 additionnal medkit, restokit or reserve hardlight barrier
    Rank 2 : Restock medkit, restokit or reserve hardlight barrier over time. Item that cost 25/50/75 nanites will be respectively restocked every 30/60/90 sec, provided nanites are available.
  12. Blam320

Remove Nanoweave and we might see a little more variety in suit slots, but there is no doubt in my mind that Flak Armor would literally just replace it as the most used slot. Nanoweave is used most often because of how many bullets are flying around, while Flak would be used because explosives are spammed with little attention paid to who you're actually throwing it at (I won't even mention it's effectiveness in Infantry vs vehicle combat). I can't tell you how many times I've been TK'd because a bunch of idiots in the back of a point rush kept chucking grenades and C4 into a room that's already clear of hostiles.

If Nanoweave gets removed, I would expect the nanite cost of resupplying grenades and C4 be increased as well; reducing the number of explosives being thrown around should reduce how often we see Flak as a result.
  13. FateJH

Putting everything else aside, I don't like that "restock consumerable over time naturally" thing. Since your idea is not an important aspect of this topic, I don't want to make a fuss over speculative details here though.
    Mines and grenades can be used everywhere. In fact, you probably should fight back against small arms resistance by exploiting explosive vulnerability. Even your improved "improved Utility Pouch" that I said I wouldn't fuss about would make flak armor more appealing in light of grenades that continuously magic themselves into your opponent's pocket.

The way I see it, if your team doesn't have a good distribution of suit slot options, you're all just going to die to the same thing.
  14. AEROCHAOSS

As I got it yesterday and since stream already forgot.
    There is this symbiont implant, which mimicks the NW, but damages you over time