[Suggestion] Make GD-22S the standard issue NC LMG

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberNoob1337101, Sep 1, 2015.

1. UberNoob1337101

I'm seriously wondering why is the NC6 Gauss SAW the starter LMG for NC instead of the GD-22S.

There are definitely situations where the SAW is great, but in most situations I didn't wish "Damn, I would REALLY like a Gauss SAW right now" and it's rather bad for situations it's not meant for, which is a lot of situations.

So, from a beginner's POV, this gun is rather jittery, not very useful in most situations and if you don't know how to recoil compensate and burst your shots, which an average Planetside 2 player doesn't do at all, let alone a brand new player, he's going to find himself in a world of hurt.

So instead of giving them a situational gun that's definitely not noob friendly, give them something that's more all-roundish and much more noob friendly. It's good in all situations, is rather controllable and is overall a good gun = GD-22S. Even though most veteran players would prefer a free Gauss SAW, brand new and new-ish to the game players will appreciate the ability to play a HA without sacrificing CQC capability and having punishing recoil and CoF.
    • Up x 14
  2. Nabil1998

Excellent idea m8. Thing is, it's been suggested like a billion times since the game's release (and I suppose during beta too) and SOE/GBD/BGD/DBG/RGB/KGB has not commented on that period.
    Still, it should be repeated in the hopes it may go into the LMG changes coming SoonTM.
    • Up x 6
  3. MarkAntony

imo all the starter weapons should be all rounders. which means the VS should get the SVA 88 (equivalent to the pulsar VS1 and the Solstice.
    the NC should get the em6.
    TR with Carv is fine.

also infils should get the auto scout rifles with the tier 1 BASRS being 100-200 certs as an alternative.
    • Up x 6
  4. Ronin Oni

The SAW is NC's "iconic" LMG, and the one that most carries the NC mantra of firearms....

But then again, the Lynx would be the Carbine most fitting for TR's "traits" yet their default carbine is the Trac5....

So I think it's a poor reasoning to **** the NC's newbie heavies so much. It's a GREAT, and FANTASTIC weapon that I often wish I had available on NC or TR characters, but it is NOT the weapon I'd want if I could only have 1.

the GD-22s would be a great all-purpose LMG
  5. Ronin Oni

^ALL THIS
  6. ATRA_Wampa-One

Yeah, I'm 100% down with this.

Make the VS default either the Pulsar LSW or the SVA-88.

Make the NC default either the GD-22s or EM6

CARV is fine as it is.
  7. HadesR

^ Sadly this
    • Up x 1
  8. Call-Me-Kenneth

the GD-22 is a nice gun but if you like those kind of guns you will get the anchor instead. getting the GD-22 for free will just leave you feeling that the anchor is not worth it.

IMHO most new players will get more out of the SAW-S or the EM6.

the SAW-S has a TON of attachments, and can be modified for different situations. and as far as performance goes it can fill every role, lane control, range, CQC, whatever. plus it is punishing enough on long bursts to sway the player towards better trigger control, instead of slamming their heads with a hammer like the SAW does... where after the 4th bullet the recoil gets so outta control you are in danger of shooting yourself. o_O

anyway... this is an old discussion. one where people asking for the change have been right from the beginning, but SOE didn't budge then and more likely DBG wont budge now.

and i wouldn't be surprised if things like this are one of the reasons VS has a bigger player pool.
    • Up x 2
  9. Linedan

I've always thought the EM6 would be the best NC starter LMG because it's 167 damage (so it still has that NC trait of higher damage at the expense of fire rate) and it's big and blocky like the SAW. The SAW is a great gun but it's a lousy weapon for a newbie.
  10. zaspacer

I personally think all Infils should get Tier 1 BASR *AND* the Auto Scout Rifle. The ASR keeps em relevant in non-Long Range engagements, and the BASR gives them the popular Sniper option while also keeping the Sniping role (what I consider a circumstantial key role) available to every player and so well supplied on the Battlefield. (I also think that all HA should start with a Dumbfire *AND* a Lockon Rocket Launcher)
  11. Plastikfrosch

PLEAS GOD NO!!!! give me the failstorm if you want but the auto scout rifles are the worst crap ever. they will get outperformed by the NS7 PDW and the MKV suppressed in nearly every situation and range (and especially when it comes to damage per mag - with ext. mag - and ttk). No but really, i would prefer the first gen SMGs as default weapons for the infiltrators or even the semiauto scouts instead of the actuall sniper rifles (by giving the infiltrators sniperrifles by default you will push them away from the real infiltrator roll and encourage spawnroom sniper heroes).
  12. Raysen

I generally avoid playing HA unless I just need to hold the Rocket Launcher... The starting weapon is just underperforming in nearly all situations, usefull only when you want to take down a mid ranged enemy uncaring of me. But sincerely, any other weapon could do the same better...
  13. customer548

What is the goal of a game if the best/easiest weapons are given to you from the start ?

I remember having hard times as a noob on PS2. I had to find solutions, to try to improve, to spend time in the VR Room in order to test different weapons. And after finding a "good" one, I couldn't buy it because I handn't the Certs. But i was happy because I had a goal : to unlock this next shiny weapon.
    GD-22s is good, but seriously it's such a lazy LMG for lazy gameplay. Point and Click. Oh, no more amno. Wow.
    Saw is a real nightmare at first. Just add 2 attachements and it will be fine and will bring a nervous gameplay.
    All HAs having lockons from the 1rst minute of gameplay ? Really ? Game experience would be so exciting.

I never thought that PS2 was a dumb simple FPS. You have to be a bit curious about it. You have to test classes, weapons,equipments and situations. And you have to fail at first. This why PS2 is a great game. Digging in the large amount of weapons in order to get a "better" one is a part of the game.
  14. nehylen

Starter guns should indeed be all-rounders, but also un-expensive. Which is why it should be more GD-22s and the Pulsar LSW (the closer equivalent to Pulsar VS1/Solstice), because no attachments. Unfortunately though, the LSW, just as the VS1, doesn't perform like the Solstice, nor as it should in absolute due to excessive horizontal tolerance. Which means it would need a buff (2 actually: one to CoF, one to HRT).
    I'll let you imagine the community uproar if any of the crappy, barely used LMGs (mostly for Betelgeuse i expect) available to VS gets a buff of any kind ( Flare&Ursa need standardized horizontal recoil, LSW needs CoF/HRT, Polaris needed that EM1/Rhino/Polaris PTS buff).

NC is a bit weird when i think of it, because i'd imagine the ideal starter all-around LMG to be some 600x167 gun with 75 rounds per mag, and a friendly horizontal recoil pattern. EM6 fits or improves on the first 2 parameters, but GD-22s fits the latter.
  15. MarkAntony

it's not the ASRs that are the problem. it's the operator...
    • Up x 4
  16. Plastikfrosch

The ASRs are the worst infiltrator weapons out there. with 652rof and 143dps they get outperformed by the NS smgs, which have a ttk of a 698rof/143dps weapon by far, also the ASRs have horrible bad hipfire especially compared to ALL SMGs. AAAAND, the ASRs, only have 25rounds per mag while the NS SMGs (with extended mag) have the damage profile of a 35round per mag 143dps weapon. Also the ASRs have 0,5ads the smgs 0,75.
    The higher muzzlevelocity is the only plus on the ASR side but you will learn to compensate for this while using your lot more trustworthy SMG.
    How bad a 25round magazine is could be seen by the eclipse and the darkstar before they got buffed. against normal infantry it was workable but against HAs it was such a pain in the *** and i only really started to love my eclipse after it got those 5 missed rounds back.
    So if i want a really good close to mid range weapon i will always take the NS SMGs or the first gen SMGs but not the ASR and if i want a valid mid to long range weapon i will take the semi auto scoutrifles because they are a lot more accurate and reliable in those situations.
  17. hostilechild

Imagine how much more money they could have made if the Orion had to be purchased. Even at double the cost ;-p
  18. Casterbridge

At one time I would have agreed with the GD-22s, and I do think that's a better choice than the Saw regardless, however now I think it should be the EM6, but I also think the EM6 should be reworked a bit as well.

Make the drum magazine a bit smaller (maybe 65 like the GodSaw), mainly because higher magazines should primarily be a TR trait, and NC default should have less than the TR default.

Ditch the HVA and keep only basic attachments, since it would be the default gun, tweak some of the accuracy stats, since the EM6 did get noticeably worse after it was tweaked all those months ago. Make sure the gun is better at mid range fighting, than the TR or VS, so you end up with a gun that fits the NC traits of slower firing, heavy hitting, but being more controllable than the Saw,

Something along those lines.
  19. Pfundi

No, the EM6 has 100 rounds in the magazine. VS already have 50 and TR 100, so NC should only have 50 rounds as well because TR is the big magazine empire
    • Up x 1
  20. Casterbridge

That's why I said I would change the EM6 before making it the default, and one of those changes was giving it a smaller magazine...
    • Up x 1