Make cloak visible via IR/NV sights.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Zhakathoom, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Zhakathoom

It's totally ridiculous that this feature isn't in the game.

Even worse is knowing it used to be in and got taken out.. As if cloak needed more help in being an OP griefing tool.
    • Up x 9
  2. JustGotSuspended

Yeah I never really got why they removed that feature to slap us with the darklight lmao

Sucks for most people especially since they added stalkers

If it ever did return to NVS I might consider running around ads with it equipped just to se how pathetic some people are. I swear there's stalkers around every rock now patiently waiting hours for their time to strike. There's some that literally just sit cloaked on top of a tower to kill beacon (not the dude dropping it, they just kill the beacon once the guy descends). Or some guys just sit on points or terminals far behind enemy lines, where there isn't even enemy fighting, in hopes of doing god knows what. And lol there's the ones that "attack" pmbs. I was once just having friendly TR/NC 1v1s next to my faction's wg, far from any fighting or anything. A stray bullet hits a VS stalker that was hiding in nearby bushes. Lord knows how long he was just sitting there. I'm telling you there's so stuff that's so unreal you can't make it up.

I get that most of them just park a stalker somewhere and leave to do whatever or maybe just try to milk some alert rewards out of it. But wow in general it's just fascinating to me the sheer number of people like this and the interesting spots they find. Would be cool to just observe these guys in their natural habitat for a day through the power of old night vision scopes.
    • Up x 2
  3. JustGotSuspended

4. BlackFox

I wondered if that is a bug - but now I know why my goddamn sights didn't worked out today...
  5. Uberubie

It got nerfed and removed long ago because it was so OP that pretty much everyone ran the damn things. They basically made close-range infiltrating worthless.
    • Up x 1
  6. BlackFox

Oh no, what a horrible time that must has been...

Sarcasm aside, now close range infiltrating is so OP that everybody runs that instead
    • Up x 3
  7. Zhakathoom

A cure for cancer then. Problem solved.
    • Up x 4
  8. brutes359

Hmm....why not a reverse sight then? the cloaking systems of auraxis utilize nanites to function. So what about a sight that detects nanites, and does not tell you if they are friend or foe? you can see an outline of a person, but that is all. Could balance it out. On the other hand, thermal imaging equipment is incredibly basic and removing it really screwed with the use of smoke. it was also a must have when fighting the vanu at night since they have such dark colored armor. So yea, I don't get why they removed it either.

If they made infiltrators "Obsolete" then make it a attachments for pistols only. That way even if you spot the infiltrator, they still have a decent chance to kill you first. In either case though, it is incredibly frustrating to watch people getting sometimes up to 50 kills by spamming smgs and cloak, or burst fire pistols with stalker cloak.
  9. Soul_Shinobi

Not being able to see infils is the perfect way to balance these vision assist devices. No issues.
    • Up x 1
  10. Scroffel5

Especially since Infiltrators can't fight vehicles, so you'd have to add this update to those as well. We need less "haha this tool make you see cloak" and more ways to actually change how the game is played if most of the community does just really hate Infiltrators.
  11. Tython

If Infils really bug you that much, learn how to counter them. It's not hard.

Get a good pistol and slap a flashlight on it. Problem solved.

Still not enough?

Go Light Assault and ambush them in their sniping spot. Go Resist Heavy with a Scout Rifle and counter-snipe them. Pull an A2G fighter and roast them with missiles. Pull a Lightning and shell their position. Pull a MAX. Pull a Stalker of your own and go knife them in the back. Put down proxy mines in their spot to get them when they return. If they're Stalking around your player base, put up Pain Spires and AI-Module-powered AI turrets.

Pull any vehicle but the Flash or Javelin and they can't touch you. Use Quick Deploy to spawn into it without leaving yourself a target. Terminal hacked or quick deploy broken (which it does sometimes)? Pull from the next base over.

There are more counters to Infiltrators than there are Infiltrators.
    • Up x 2
  12. Soul_Shinobi

Pulling a stalker of my own and going to knife them in the back is my favorite.
  13. ecsurfer

Honestly you're complaining only gets you were you're at now. Do what Tython said and counter them.
    • Up x 1
  14. Tormentos

Infrared light will get bend by a cloaking system as any light in the spectral range. So just because you look at an infiltrator with some other part of the light spectrum won't make a system visible that bends light around the user. Physics alone say no here.

Thermoptics on the other hand would give you something, but it would be so ridiculously low you would never find an infiltrator that way. Don't think thermoptics work like in Predator. They had to douse the plant life in that movie with freaky cold water in order to see the men in front of the camera, because the entire jungle was so heated up. So thermal vision is out of the way as well.

Just learn to counter them and act accordingly. Remember that a stalker, by his/her own limitations has enough problems already to deal with certain disadvantages. That player is alone, has no primary and relies solely on the element of surprise with nothing more than a knife and a sidearm. And depending on the sidearm that can be tough as nails as well. That person doesn't have the healing abilities of a medic, not the mobility of the light assault, nor the overshield of the heavy assault or a spitfire like the engineer.

They as well deserve a way to be a menace as every other class.
  15. d3c0y

Long time now ex-player here, I never really get the annoyance, you know they exist, unless they are sitting completely still and crouched, they are visible.
    I played primarily infil, both cqc smg/sniping and normal sniping and LA secondary for sundy runs, you can see them and hunt them easily, a stand out distortion of texture, unless you're trying to spot them across the map, even then most snipers are easy to predict and counter snipe or switch your weapon to single shot and spam tap fire them, accuracy is up to you and headshots win every time.

Take a darklight on your secondary if you need it, especially finding stalkers.

Be glad, from memory it actually used to be legitimately bad as the difference in seeing them was having high settings or not, that got normalised and all settings have similar visibility, if anything high settings added detail and noise making it harder last I saw.

If only they reverted the weapon and vehicle balance changes they made way back at CAI and didn't add things like Orbital strike and the emp thing, they might still have a larger playerbase, legitimately watched briggs population drop like a stone from CAI onward and I refuse to be stuck playing an FPS at the 150ms+ we get to us servers now, the soltech server is no better.
  16. BlackFox

The thing is that they aren't a separated threat, you still have a lot of other enemies around. Hunting down Infiltrators is a very demanding task that draws a lot of attention away from the actual battle, especially with a flashlight under the secondary gun it's harder to react to other enemies.

The whole issue with Infiltrators can be tracked down to one stupid decision - The ability to go invisible.
  17. d3c0y

Was nearly much ruder than this or intended, but....not pointing at you specifically, but players in this game have a definite lack of awareness, which for those coming from alot of mainstream fps i get, but if you know there is a cloaker running around, that should be a keep in the back of your head, pay attention to the minimap and carry on, respond to team mates deaths nearby, don't just ignore them, use sound, cloaking makes a noise you can hear half way accross a tech plant or further.

Outright, cloakers are visible while moving from a country mile away, don't ignore texture distortions so readily, it's fairly distinctive.
  18. BlackFox

That is the point:
    - There isn't usually only ONE cloaker around
    - The distortions work only when they sprint, are infront of something bright or very close. Otherwise good luck
    - The minimap doesn't only show infiltrators but every enemy (if they don't crouch using the implant to reduce the motion sensor detection rate or have suppressors equipped.
    - The sound becomes part of the overall enviroment due to the amount of cloaking sounds throughout the battle.

A widely available, invisible class with the highest damage weapons (Snipers, Revolvers) without any real counter besides some slight, random graphic effect is simply piss poor gamedesign
  19. Tormentos

There ARE counters: The most destructive weapon there is - Your brain... Or would you claim that this weapon isn't sharp as a knife? If you want to counter a cloaker, begin to think like the cloaker. What is he killing you with?
    An SMG? That means he has about so and so much time to remain cloaked - where could he disappear to in that amount of time?
    A revolver or knife only? Stalker, tricky, can be cloaked for a long, long time. Must be driven to move quickly somehow.

And the fact that eyes favor the usual. The eye paying attention will spot differences as they occur. I sometimes get some movement in my periphery, only to recognize it was just a leave blown by the wind from the graphics setting. If people can find me at night in cloak in the phases of utter darkness between the moon going down and the sun coming up, so can you find these cloakers.
  20. BlackFox

So, and now compare that to any other class - how much effort does it take to take out ANY of the other infantry classes? Even light assaults, with all their ways to flank, aren't as hard to counter as Infiltrators simply because they are visible. No other class (beside MAXes) needs specialized counters ingame like motion sensors or flashlights intended to fight them.

Imagine that Heavies would require a special ammunition mod to break their shield without DMG reduction, or a barrel mod that makes the guns shoot faster to outdamage the medics healing ability - would that be fun?