[Suggestion] Make Base Turrets Significantly More Resilient

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jac70, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Jac70

Base turrets are too weak to provide an effective defense against incoming tanks. 1v1 a base turret should always win against an MBT but often it's not that simple. A turret is fixed meaning it is easier for a tank to find the range to target. A tank is mobile meaning once a turret has found its range all the tank has to do is move meaning the turret has to re-estimate range.

If you've ever played Engineer you would know how annoying it is to spend 10 minutes bringing a base back online only for every turret to be destroyed within seconds when a pack of tanks roll over the horizon. Of course when the zerg arrives there's not a lot you are going to be able to do about it but give those in the base a chance to thin out the numbers.

I would suggest at least doubling the health points of a turret, maybe even more than that.
    • Up x 2
  2. demondrew

Nah
    • Up x 3
  3. SerasVic

That's why you put a repair sundy in range of the turret.

200 nanites and then you win any 1v1 with that turret

tl;dr: organization is key
  4. Copasetic

Health is fine IMO but the heat mechanic should be removed. I don't see why they should have ammo or a heat bar, they should be able to shoot indefinitely especially when they can be taken out so easily.
    • Up x 6
  5. Paragon Exile

I'd like if they could be repaired faster. Right now you need to hang bare-***** on this exposed ledge for half a minute to get it back online from nothing. It needs to be faster.
    • Up x 2
  6. Hosp

How about...No Ammo/Heat Bar AND Repaired faster from Destroyed status back to operational, but not repaired faster from damaged to topped off.

This way, they can protect better and get operational faster, but otherwise aren't necessarily harder to destroy due to passive reasons such as increasing HP.
    • Up x 1
  7. Goretzu

The problem is if they were a proper lattice system you could tie turrets ammo and self-repair to nanites (and probably beef their toughness up a bit)...... but there is no proper lattice system yet.
    • Up x 1
  8. Metalsheep

Give the base turrets a rechargable shield similar to Infantry. So at least 50% of the turrets HP will regenerate automatically. This makes minor damage or single blows inconsequential.

Make the turrets recharge time roughly the same amount of time it takes to repair an MBT from half to full HP. So that a single MBT cant just peekaboo a turret to death, if they are trading blows. It now will take 2 or more tanks/infantry to effectively take down base turrets.

THEN we can change the AMP Station base benefit to either increased shield capacity for base turrets, or faster recharge on the turrets shield.
    • Up x 7
  9. LodeTria

- Remove the heat bar
    - Add Nanite Auto Repair that functions even if destroyed
    - "Wreckage" can no longer be damaged to reset the persons attempts at repairing it.
    - 300 degrees rotation
    • Up x 1
  10. The_Blazing

I think they could have an enhanced version of Nanite Auto Repair. It would reactivate every 2 seconds and repair twice as fast as max level NAR. Why? Because heavy defense turrets should require concentrated fire to be brought down and should never be solo-able by a tank with no secondary gunner.
    • Up x 2
  11. WTSherman

Honestly, I think they just need to make amp station towers more accessible to sunderers so that you can use the sundy-turret combo in more places. Right now a lot of those towers are inacessible because they're sunk part way into the ground, or blocked by ground clutter.
  12. OldMaster80

Base turrets are actually not so great. They could use some different features like improved cooling system, better mobility, more armor, improved repair or even auto-repair.

It would be cool if the outfit that conquered the base would be allowed to upgrade defensive systems by giving some "perks" to the turrets.
    • Up x 1
  13. tf2hero

may i be the first to suggest the ps1 turret design?
    sorry tuco;)
  14. Tuco

When you're outnumbered you're outnumbered.

Whenever you balance a base for lopsided battles, than battles become lopsided when pops are balanced (wwiionline).

What makes the PS1 AMS/CE so great is that it's only useful for lopsided battles (when the enemy is moving in a forwards direction and you are retreating in abackwards direction) screw you guys, you'll never learn.
    • Up x 2
  15. RykerStruvian

Give us the ability to spend nanites to upgrade base turrets. Increase health, fire speed, etc.
  16. ColonelChingles

Eh. I'm not a big fan of buffing defense turrets. If the enemy already has controlled the area outside of the base, that means that your side lacks the men, material, or tactics to take the outside of the base.

Warfare, since WWII, hasn't been about defending fortifications. War is swift and mobile, and if you're not attacking you're probably losing.

In a situation where the enemy is sending tanks against your walls, the important question is why you're not rallying your own armored forces to flank and destroy the enemy. Sitting in a fixed position is antithetical to modern (and futuristic) warfare.

In my opinion tanks shouldn't just blow up defense turrets, they should be able to blow up the whole darned wall if they try hard enough.
    • Up x 1
  17. CNR4806

They need to fix the glitch where a turret stops benefiting from the nearby repair Sundy after it gets destroyed. I'm so sick of having to move the Sundy away and back again.
    • Up x 1
  18. BengalTiger

If base turrets fixed automatically, we'd get a whole new level of cheese:

The attackers destroy the turrets, move Sundy to base wall, deploy, assault the base itself.

The turrets fix.

The defenders sneak a couple of Infiltrators out of the spawn, they man the turrets.

Deployment shield Sundy vs 2 or 3 turrets?
    Farewell Sundy.

Farewell assault.
    Other than keeping a tank nearby that would wreck the turrets as they fix up, there's not much that can be done.
  19. TheKhopesh

I think removing one round from the TTK against all forms of heavy armor (anything small arms cannot damage that tank primary rounds can) would be enough to balance out the AV turret's use.
  20. Revel

Just make them semi auto like Planetside 1. If they're unoccupied and are damaged by an enemy, they lock on and fire back. Would stop 1 or 2 guys from sneaking around to blow up turrets, or at least make it much slower.