[Suggestion] Make a new continent (or subarea) with no air allowed

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Megrim, Dec 20, 2012.

1. vani

To take over from Mathmatics for abit.

Also as a pilot i DO think that the AA is lacking specifically in bullet velocity. But nothing else, the range is absolutely fine, they can see and shot at me before i can even shot back and yet they're are stationary!(curse you render distance!)

I think however that, in a heavy battle area where there's more than 1 AA unit and for arguments sake we'll also include multiple ESF's. I would have to say in this situation everything is balenced and comes down purely to how well co-orindated your sides teamwork is. An AA max isn't render until it's within an ESF's infantry attack range yet the ESF is rendered for the MAX unit well before then. If there's a significant air pressence, then it make's sense to get a significant anti air pressence on the ground to defend no? Once that's in place the ESF's won't come near becuase in order to attack infantry they have to be within render distance which is too dangerous.

This situation is balenced, however.

In a 1v1 air vs anti, this can be seen as imbalenced becuase it's easier for an ESF to engage a stationary AA turret as you've mentioned in your very post, the bullet speed is as slow as a snail's pace. Which directly effects accuracey and range.

In conclusion to both examples. I think it's fair to say that overall air IS balenced, however the AA weapons velocity ON ALL AA WEAPONS needs a boost in order for perfection. This will also make everyone's accuracey with the weapons much better and This way nobody can complain when the render distance's are fixed for air and ground as well becuase both can engage at render range.

Agreed?
  2. Yeo-Yin

yes, my logic is : because pilots can't understand logic, i won't try to explain anything and i'll just give the result (here, the result is the sentence you quoted. It's not logic, it the result). No surprise that your avatar is an aircraft and you didn't understand that.
  3. Mathematics

It's certainly much easier for you to point your finger and make unfounded claims, but that doesn't magically make your argument valid. Sorry.
  4. bPostal

The inside of bases are where the majority of infantry action should be occurring. This is not to say that infantry combat can not happen outdoors, in the open...but it must have the full support of armor and air superiority.
    • Up x 1
  5. Yeo-Yin

yes, logic make my argument valid. But if i try to explain it to you, you won't understand it. Just accept that you have limited mental capability and take what as say as a fundamental truth. I already did the job to consider arguments and counter-arguments for you.
    nothing personnal in that, you are just a pilot, it's normal.
  6. 13lackCats

If they do this, I will pull out my subscription.

Will you pull out yours if they don't?
  7. 13lackCats

Combined arms in an environment where any movement is allowed!

Do you think the players are ready for such a challenge? :)
  8. smokemaker

Bad idea.
    Dont split the community further for the sake of the whiney few.
  9. Starbridge

This would be awesome. I would love to see some underground stuff too, limited tank movement and no air. I hate having a great ground battle and then all of a sudden some ***** rolls in with rocket pods or a zephyr lib.

I just find it really strange that there a ZERO tunnels, caves, and water. I mean... come on... 3 large continents and there are no lakes, rivers and waterfalls?!
  10. Yeo-Yin

if only whiney people want to have a no-fly cont, then give it to them. I think that nobody love whiney so you should be happy to have a way to make them go away.
    But, i think that the "don't split the community" is not what you think and that you are in bad faith.
  11. bPostal

Honestly? No. The players and the game itself doesn't favor that kind of movement. I will admit I've seen players smarten up with the ready availability of AV and AA (in that the average player now has equal access to vehicle counters as they do vehicles, which is what caused the hotly debated disparity) but the only place you're really going to see any real kind of combined arms will be with the zerg or amongst a few of the very large outfits. I imagine it will be a while until you see specialized outfits coordinate movement outside of perhaps the Vanu Alliance.
    The hard part now is going to be to get these large scale operations to actually hit each other and risk their precious precious cert farming.
  12. Alex Taldren

As many have said, the game suffers from **** base design, both for main bases and outposts. The interior of bases, not just indoors should be **MOSTLY** infantry focused, and places where air and tanks are minimized, but they aren't. Hell, outposts should have more and larger interior environments instead of these ****, prefab buildings. Why are control points upstairs and not below ground? Why aren't spawn points within the interior, sub portions of the bases and outposts like they were in PS1? That was solid thinking.

Alas, they ****** it up.
    • Up x 2
  13. Eduard K.

This was asked for the next continent, the idea of having an area the size of 3 biodomes with a large shield on top, when the generators were taken out, the shield goes off and air steps in.
    • Up x 1
  14. smokemaker

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "This is the second time that I've had to point out to you that this thread is not about removing air, right?"
    By making another map inside of PS2 without the ability to fly would in fact be removing the aircraft on that map.

"We'll never find out, as pilots like you will kick up a stink the moment people try to leave air behind."
    Correct. You willingly joined the game knowing there where aircraft in it. Play accordingly. But its easier to whine and hope for a game mechanic change then to grab some AA or god forbid grab an esf.

"But I'm sure in your mind balance can be achieved without trial and error, I'm sure you've calculated what every stat for every weapon should be to achieve balance."
    Balance is not completely removing 1 side of the equation.

"Adding an air-free continent would keep the pilots able to play their game as they currently do and provide a secondary set of data minus air."
    It would spit the population even further, reducing large battles. And balance, as stated above, is not removing 1 side of the equation.

Ultimately, you joined a FPS with multiple dimensions in it. And instead of trying to learn about them and there counters, you ( OP ) wants them removed. (call it another map whatever...) we already have games were infantry can play without air. Here they cant, and hopefully they wont.

Larger bases with more inside area for infantry, i support this.
  15. Dral

Air is ruining the game, those defending it and not addressing the issue are just going to hurt the longevity of the game.

If air was simply good outside fine, but the fact that it completely counters both infantry and tanks, and with the crap base design allows pilots to fire into buildings its impossible to play against (or avoid).
  16. Phyr

Don't need to completely remove air, just need to keep air outside where it belongs.
  17. Starbridge

The only other thing is to limit the number that can be used at one time per side as well as make re-stocking your ammo use your air resources from the person in the gun. Full lib crews would have to stock up and take better aim rather then just rain down random shots in hopes of a hit indicator. Or just lower the max ammo they can hold at one time. Holding 250 bullets, I can see that... holding 100 missiles... eh... how? With that much explosive power on those things 1 missile should make them blow up.
  18. smokemaker

"Air is ruining the game, those defending it and not addressing the issue are just going to hurt the longevity of the game."
    For those unwilling to adapt, I bet. But those willing to adapt, i believe, will find that false.

"If air was simply good outside fine, but the fact that it completely counters both infantry and tanks"
    Air is over powered by its very nature. It flies. Its faster, harder to hit, and more mobile then anything else on the battlefield. This can not be balanced out other then by making them not fly.

"**** base design allows pilots to fire into buildings its impossible to play against"
    I agree, I think ( hope ) the newer maps will address this issue.

"...impossible to play against"
    At this point one needs to adapt, and move to AA or an esf. Then when the air is pushed back, resume your infantry roles. To insist on an infantry roll in the face of overwhelming enemy air, is to allow oneself to be farmed. And no game mechanic can code out foolishness.

with respect for my fellow players
    smokemaker
  19. Mathematics

More ad hominem? Do you even know what "fallacy" means? Bye troll.
  20. JDCollie=VX9=

I'd like to see a primarily urban continent; lots of tall buildings, long roads, tunnels, etc. Aircraft would still serve a role, but much of the A2A combat would need to take place above the city -- tanks and infantry would do a lot more of the work.

Also, canyon/city fighting in an aircraft is insanely intense; as a pilot, I would absolutely love something like that.
    • Up x 1