Lynx versus Jaguar, a comparison and review. (MEOW.)

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Wrel, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Wrel Developer

Let me know what you think!
  2. Iridar51

I didn't like it, which I'm surprised to say.
    Perhaps I'm biased, but to me, Jaguar is the hands down the best carbine in the game.

I grunted every time when you called Jaguar "CQC-oriented / mid range carbine". What do you make of TRAC 5 then?
    I'm used to a thought that default carbines are versatile, and good at all ranges, but not dominating any.
    Attachments aside (which are CQC oriented), Jaguar is basically TRAC 5 with little downsides - tad longer recoil, tad lower bullet speed, nothing major.

I was very surprised when you said that Lynx can actually be more accurate because of it's recoil pattern. I doubt that very much, but I'm interested enough to conduct practical and theoretical experiments to find out if it's true.
    It's just when I use Lynx, I feel like Lynx fires where Lynx wants, and I'm just an appendage to restive gun. And Jaguar shoots where I want, growing into my hands like a part of my body.

When I finally got to use Jaguar (and I did that after playing some time with all TR carbines) I felt like I died and ascended to heaven. Jaguar is simply the best gun TR LA could wish for, in all situations from 5 to 50 meters. And past that, none of the carbines can really kill anything reliably.

I like what you said about Lynx paying too much for it's DPS increase, and I agree with you. Jaguar is the clear winner for me here, but I guess you can't afford displaying such opinions when doing a gun review, otherwise all the Lynx lovers would pounce at you and eat alive :D
  3. Kronic

Very nice overview, I agree on nearly everything. I can't get with the comment about getting a Hailstorm over the Lynx for CQC though. SMGs imo, are generally a bad weapon class. Way too limited. I also think you kinda sold the Lynx short on it's potential for mid to longer ranges. Sure, it has low DPS that far away (carbines generally do) but its recoil pattern is a lot more consistent than the Jag, making it better for longer ranges (at least in my hands anyway). But then again I'm have a bit of a soft spot for the Lynx as it was my first purchased weapon ( :') ) so I think I'm a lil biased hehe. Anyways good job.
  4. Wrel Developer

This is how I feel about the T5 AMC, believe it or not. It feels like a VS weapon with a 40 round magazine, which tickles my pickle.

I view the TRAC-5 as basically a Jaguar that sacrifices a bit of its kill potential in closer ranges (no soft point/adv laser) for a bit of extra range, thanks to the increased bullet velocity and reliable recoil (more reliable than the lynx, provided you can get past the first shot recoil multiplier.)

Thanks for the honest response, and continued support!
  5. Lorginir

TRAC-5 is a junk and Jaguar is a strait-up upgrade to it.

As for review I can not agree with Lynx having anything to do with mid range, it is way too inaccurate and have too much recoil. Jaguar is completely superior to Lynx past 15 meters, however both of them are completely inferior to VS and NC close range carbines due to lower RPM rate and less controllable recoil. Believe me, 45 rpm is huge number, especially in close range engagement.
  6. hammyhamm

I've had the T5 AMC since day one due to alpha squad, and have always found the low TTK too much of a liability to use - it doesn't mesh well with LA playstyle due to low dps and mobility, which gives preference to the Jaguar for LA, or TRAC5-S with UBGL on the engineer instead - the enhanced first-round accuracy of the latter typically give it comparable damage on target to the T5AMC with good burst control, the the UBGL is a fairly OP area deterrent with an ammo pack. I agree that there isn't a significantly good enough reason to roll with the TRAC5-S on the light assault - once you are out of grenades it's essentially just a bad TRAC5, and the Jaguar just suits the class better.
  7. hammyhamm

As I just mentioned, underbarrel grenade launcher coupled with engineer ammopack makes the TRAC5-S truly shine - yes, it doesnt match the jaguar in terms of mobility and reliable accuracy, but the ability to land significant alpha damage at range on infantry and small groups makes it a fantastic weapon in defensive situations.

EDIT: Just realised you said TRAC5, not the S variant. Apologies!

As far as the TRAC5 goes, it's fairly good as a default weapon - decent DPS in close/midrange and particularly forgiving for new players due to the larger mag. Sure, it can't do softpoint ammunition but hey, it's a free gun!
  8. Farlion

All TR carbines are trash when compared to their NC/VS counterparts. Hence why I'm forced to use the NS-11.

What I'd give for either the Razor or Serpent ...
  9. vulkkan

I have to agree with your review, both are good weapons but the Lynx gives up too much for a slightly better TTK at short range. The Jaguar, in my humble opinion, is one of the best guns available to the TR. I bought it after it dropped down to 250 certs and never went back to my Lynx.
  10. Megaman3300

I disagree with your assessment that the T5's relatively high TTK is a liability. You don't use it to drop behind someone from 3m and kill them before they can react, because that's not what it's meant for. It's meant, in my opinion, to be used as a weapon for flanking from a distance. With a 6x and standard distance loadout, it's hands down the most reliable and consistent sniping carbine, and because it doesn't suffer a severe recoil, ROF, or clip penalty, it's effective at the close and extreme ranges that the other sniping carbines can never hope to be in.
  11. hammyhamm

I guess it comes down to the point where the carbines aren't exactly designed to be used at a distance, and I feel that trying to use the AMC at range means you are trying to shoehorn a class of weapons into a role that makes it mediocre in any role. Yes, it doesn't suffer much recoil but I'd disagree and say the ROF difference is severe. The TRAC5-S can do the same job sniping in burst, has better DPS up close (marginally) and has more utility in engineer. I guess it's down to personal preference - and using the light assault in a long-range manner doesn't feel like a good way to utilise the class in my opinion.
  12. Iridar51

I'm now trying out the shadowflight loadout - suppressed T5 AMC with double grip and HV Ammo, and that's exactly how I use it sometimes :p just throw in a knife stab and you're home free :)