Lovin' those dome shields

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Naehloseht, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Naehloseht

More Dome Shields please SoE, they are the best thing since sliced bread, and anything anyone else says can not convince me otherwise. Everyone needs to go on PTS and test them, they are amazing.
    • Up x 4
  2. Chipay

By amazing, you mean, amazingly broken? I can't spawn a lib at my amp station because it gers stuck between the shield, i can't do galaxy drops anymore because my infantry just lands on the shields and much much more
    • Up x 4
  3. Naehloseht

Yes! Lettuce was only the FIRST stage of restrictive game play, were gonna go full balls to the walls on this one! If you character is not in a straight jacket, he still is not restricted enough.

If I have to eat lettuce, you have to swallow dome shields.

Dome Shields For Life!!!
    • Up x 8
  4. Ryekir

Clearly it's a tie-in marketing campaign with that new TV show "Under the Dome"...
    • Up x 5
  5. Lolroflcake

They will be a good idea if they become an objective to make the capture of a base easier or harder depending on the skill of the defenders i.e. A dome shield should function just like an amp stations gates, impassible to enemies and incoming/outgoing fire but powered by a generator. Doing so will add more options to base defense/attack and this is always a good thing.
  6. [HH]Mered4

Usually I would agree, but these are just TOO MUCH.

Its a rough patchjob made for a different situation back in beta. If you want more metagame, fix the resource system. SOMETHING that makes sense. Not this, Let's exclude aircraft COMPLETELY from the rest of Auraxis. Oh you got the gen down? That's nice. The AA turrets already drove off your air force, so there was no point to turning off the shield. Bummer.
  7. Lolroflcake

Then you would be wrong, that's the whole idea behind not permitting any incoming or outgoing fire to pass through the shield and if the turrets are exposed to begin with they will die just as much as your aircraft die. So, either the turrets are safe under the shield until its down and useless until it is or exposed and effective as normal. This is not excluding anything from any part of Auraxis, it is only promoting combined arms assaults and interdependence between air and ground forces.

You are required to read and understand my entire post before quoting or attempting to engage me in a discussion thank you very much.
  8. [HH]Mered4

Apologies that I did not read between the lines, pal.

Look, why should we separate air and ground forces? That limits tactical options for both sides, and turns base fights into tank farms. Like I saide before, this is a POOR PATCHJOB. I am tired of patchjobs. Fix the thing and be done with it. I am fine waiting for a finished product instead of getting half-job crap like a dome shield. Seriously, Isaac or whatever your name is who came up with this idea:

WHY. This is planetside 2. AIR LAND AND BUILDINGS. Not Planetside 2: Ground and Air, separate but equal.
    Sigh. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 3
  9. Ivalician

[IMG] sig.

Irony.
    • Up x 7
  10. Lolroflcake

It limits tactical options for the attacks in favour of the defenders yes that's what defenses are supposed to do. It does not However split anything, if it does function similar to the gate shields it will bring aspects of the game closer because air support makes bases easier to take and pilots need the shield down to attack.

The point I am trying to make is that these shields give pilots something that they need from ground forces to be effective where as before a pilot needed nothing from the poor buggers on the ground before properly implemented shields. In the current game, aircraft simply fly overhead bomb the snot out of what ever isn't their color and then leave. You want to rain hell on a base you now need to work for it.
  11. ShadowAquilaX

I really think they need to have a way to take em down via generator overload, to do air drops and such. Or cause it to be disabled once a percentage of the capture is complete like the SCU shields, and could be repaired or reactivated once the defenders successfully recapture the base. It would give an extra objective and what not.
    If they're going to be permanently "ON", at least allow infantry to pass through for Galaxy drops and Drop pods. Also will the squad beacons be deploy-able under the domes? They better think this through. They should in my opinion. Precise tactical insertion just isn't feasible if the beacons can't be place as close as humanly possible to the objective.

Anyway they could do so much with it to make it fun and not completely shut out one aspect of the game from the others.
    I would really hate for this game to become more "run and gun COD" than it already is.
    It would stress the "PTFO or ****" mentality. If the defenders can't keep the shields up because they're too busy chasing tanks with C4, they get owned by vehicles. If the attackers don't get the shields down because they're too busy chasing kills inside a facility they get owned by all the defense systems around the facility. That's pretty much how it is now though, so why hold the defenders hand by giving them a perma-shield?
  12. [HH]Mered4

Wait what? I have to work for it every time I attack a base!

First I scout the area for AA and other ESFs, then I eliminate these threats, if at all possible. About a 50/50 chance of me surviving that. Then I will attack a base, and usually it is a one time deal, due to the proliferation of lock-ons and people shooting at me.

If I manage to land and repair, I will come back for another quick run, score a kill or maybe two, then RUN LIKE HELL.

and sometimes I do not come back, and then my helpfulness to the ground forces is very small.

Also, we air forces NEED ground forces, and we always will. Only infantry can take bases, we aircraft cannot. Air is meant as a support function that can obliterate single targets with ease, but still need other units to protect them and keep away flak.

Dome shields will kill the air-> ground mechanic. It will also help debilitate the ground->air mechanic, due to SG hiding behind the shield as a gigantic glowing umbrella. DOn't worry; it'll happen. we players are quite imaginative.
  13. Deathcapt

I have an idea, why not make a continent which is a Giant ' Y ' Or like a peace sign. with giant, corridors leading between bases. You will have infantry fighting along the infinite corridor, and Aircraft dog-fighting in the air around it. Corridor will have a base every 500m. Then it's an infinite meat grinder.
    • Up x 1
  14. [HH]Mered4

Then we should send everyone there who plays vehicles less than 10% of the time they are on PS2.

That will work :)
  15. Consumer

In a way, I'm very inclined to adopt this mentality. I'm still bitter about the lattice mechanic that is going to incorporate everything regardless.

Yes, more dome shields.
    • Up x 2
  16. Torok

+1
    Amp Stations are going to be improved biolabs once this hits live
    • Up x 3
  17. Liewec123

it'd probably be easier if they just replaced every base with biolabs.
    because lets face it with adding all of these walls and big blue eye sores thats where it is heading.
    • Up x 1
  18. PS2Freak

<3 dome shields too!
  19. Gremmel

Instead of adding something silly looking why not just remove all air vehicles. It'll have the same effect but it won't make every base look like a huge bandaid
    • Up x 1
  20. Roarboar

So if the AA turrets drove off the air units, there is no issue in having the dome shield then?