Lore-related content?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Obscura, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Obscura

Planetside 2 has some well written lore and a fairly deep backstory, everything about the game that makes it unique(besides it's gameplay) and appealing is taken from the lore and the ideas the writers had. I personally remember the first trailer being the thing that drew me to this game and made me get a beta key to try it out. I think alot of the problem with the decline in population and lack of fresh blood is that this game is pretty much unknown to most gamers, it's MIA in comparison to the hype-machines that EA and Infinity Ward have pushing their mediocre COD and BF reskins. We all know that the average consumer will choose the product he sees advertised and hyped the most, because how could something they've never heard about before actually be good?

What are some ideas for content that are realistic for the devs and lore related?

For those who haven't read all of the lore or are unfamiliar with the backstory I highly recommend doing so.
    http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Lore_Archive
    http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Lore
    • Up x 1
  2. Dennisz125

They could theoretically make a film out of it
    • Up x 1
  3. SgtBeta

Lots of propaganda and broadcast about the game.
    Throw random(payed) people to talk **** on the internet like "OH BOY PLANETSIDE 2!" and then let's just wait pop grow again, just like most games like Fallout 4.
  4. Obscura

Yeah that would help spread the word about the game itself. I was thinking of something like new faction videos kind of like the "choose your empire" trailers they put out a while back but animated like the very first launch trailer. Each video could follow the same cinematic style the launch trailer did, maybe showing it from the POV of a Heavy Assault putting their armor on in the beginning while the narrator in the background says some cool **** lol and it shows them being dropped into a battle between them and another empire.
  5. Mezinov

Unfortunately, this video was outsourced and not produced internally by SOE/DBG. This means it was expensive. Which means there is a very low probability something like this will be made again, unless there is a really hard-core fan with CGI experience and a MOCAP rig (or infinite patience for manual gesturing).
  6. SQPD

I was thinking maybe a Band of Brothers parody but with drop pods on Indar instead of C-47s at Normandy.
  7. EclecticDreck

I can't agree with that statement.

The official lore is little more than a collection of plot holes and fridge logic. In fact, there is so little lore that it would be incredibly easy to fix any of the instances of fridge logic by simply filling in the plot holes.

To give an example, officially the war started about fifteen years ago. They never bothered writing down when. It started on Searhus, and there was battle at the Kane Prison complex that escalated into some sort of deployment of nuclear weapons. At some non-defined point after that, Rebirth became a thing. Somewhere in there, the VS did "something" to the warpgates on Hossin and kicked out the NC.

Then, there is literally nothing else until Sigma goes and reverses whatever the VS did.

The only other fully official thing that happened since we landed on Auraxis 200 years before current events is that Briggs found another artifact and then killed himself.

There is literally nothing that explains how we go from tension born of desperation in the fleet to full scale war. Nothing about how the Vanu formed the basis of a religion. Nothing about the process behind rebirth or its discovery. Nothing about the war before rebirth when someone could have conceivably won the damn thing. There is no explanation for how tech works, nothing about design of equipment or weapons, nothing explaining what the bases were for, nothing to tell us what life on Auraxis might be like outside of the microcosm of combat.

That's just the plot holes. You want to start talking about fridge logic, well...Auraxis is called a planet when it is clearly a moon. There is a different moon, similarly terrestrial nearby. We arrived in space ships but suddenly don't have them. Nukes were a thing and now they aren't. 40,000 people landed on auraxis 200 odd years ago and even if they bread like bunnies there would still only be 1 - 2 million people by the time the game opens. The TR and the NC hate the VS for their transhumanist stance only to willingly go through with augmentation (implants) and immortality (rebirth), both of which serve to fundamentally alter what it means to be human. The world is post-scarcity and nearly empty and any obvious cause for war non-existent.

All of that can be fixed, sure, but that would mean actually filling in the plot holes that create the problems.

There isn't much money in lore. Only a fraction of the player base has any interest and there isn't much of a playerbase there. Any approach they'd take would have to be free or nearly free to be worth considering on their part.

All they could really do is have some sort of process for officially submitting new lore that the players create. That would still require someone at DBG act as loremaster, though, and so it may still not work. Right now, though, they do not have any avenue for that. Player Studio is only for in game items and it is specifically limited to a few types of cosmetics. Player Direct, meanwhile, is more suited to sharing videos or reviews and has not ever been used as an avenue to expand the official lore.

The only plausible way to get more lore is to make the process as close to free for DBG as possible and the only way that happens is if you let the fans do it.
  8. Jacques Cayton II

No
  9. MikeyGeeMan

Hmm. Put statues of the fallen devs all over the continents like they did with the archs from Genesis.