Looks like a crash but is not a crash

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by shadouac, Feb 18, 2014.

1. shadouac

Recently a new problem has emerged for me. At random intervals (could be once a session, could happen 3 times in half an hour) with no apparent cause (other than often being at a very bad time) PS2 freezes for a fraction of a second, then flickers and goes blackscreen like it just crashed. But then after about 2 seconds, it comes back like nothing happened and I can carry on, usually having been killed while the game fritzed out. It's like a mini-reboot. This happens at least once a session. It doesn't seem related to load or temperatures, there's no warning performance spikes. There's no obvious cause ingame.

Has anyone else been experiencing this for about the last 2-3 weeks? It's starting to cost me important kills and happen at worse and worse times (walking into camped doorways, flying galaxies etc) and it's quite annoying.
  2. HotPepperDelivery

But do you get "DVI no signal" message right after the screen goes black? cuz i do and i have no idea how to fix it, my gpu is GTX 780 which is design to run at 80C and this is second time happened to me, game freeze for like a second then screen goes black for a few seconds and then the screen turn right back one with no error message and the temperature is fine CPU temp under 70C
  3. Korban

It could be your insides have too much dust accumulated (ok that sounded a bit wrong), try taking out your Graphics Card and use a cotton stick to brush the mini fan, undust your memory cards and vacuum the inside of your PC as well.

I've had this problems a few months back but since i've been doing some regular maintenance on it, it rarely does that now.
  4. Doodlebug

Dust does not cause these types of issues, coincidence does not equate to a solution and for christ sake keep your hoover away from the inside of your computer, static build up can decrease the lifespan of components.

I have the same issue straight after updating my nvidia drivers, if you have an nvidia card this maybe the problem.
  5. starlinvf

It does sound like a driver crash. What version NV drivers are you all running?
  6. leo4444

I was having the same issue with my 770 gtx it seems to be a driver issue according to the nvidia forums. I reverted back to the driver from January 332.21 and it stopped happening, just make sure you do custom install and then clean install when you install the driver. I'm gonna try the new drivers from today hopefully the problem stops. Its weird because it only happens on planetside 2
  7. Yloh

GTX 660Ti here and still have this problem with the new 334.89 drivers. :/
  8. IDC_

it's the game that crashes your drivers.

on newer windows versions the driver is reloaded automatically.
    on xp the screen freezes and the game still runs in the background. i can end the game with taskmanager and start it again. but it will crash right after the login at the warpgate or within the next 5 minutes. i have to reboot to reload them fully.

after the freeze my system works normal except 1 program that shows some graphical issues. (thats how i determine if i have to reboot)

i have testet different driver versions (314.22, 327.23, 331.82, 331.93, 332.21, 334.67) the game crashed all of them.
  9. shadouac

Yes, people here are right; I rolled back my Nvidia drivers from Feb. versions to the Jan. 7th 332.21 version and it hasn't done this since. I've also noticed generally better performance. I recommend anyone with this problem reverts to this driver version.