Looking for a new Vanu LMG

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Konfuzfanten, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Konfuzfanten

Im an old fancy kinda guy, never moved on from the Orion and swear by it - but after 3500 kills, i think it might be time to try something new.
    Currently running the CQC setup: suppressor, forward grip and IRNV.

Any advice for a new CQC LMG/weapon? Been looking at the Polaris, but from vidoes and VR testing it seems to have an atrocious slow killing speed compared to the Orion.

Looking for a new gun that is effective between zero and 50 meters, mostly between 10-20 meters - one more thing it needs to be able to kill atleast 2 guys without changing mag.

So any suggestions?
  2. Blitzkrieg

Pulsar LSW, it's just a winner.

Flare is always a good choice as well.
    • Up x 1
  3. Ripshaft

Tried the nova? You're probably not going to beat the orion for the 0-20 meter range with lmgs. You can come close with most of the others, but that rate of fire... bit too sexy.
  4. Prince Planet

See this is the vexing part of this subject. Others say the URSA is a better version of the Flair. Some people swear by the Flare.

I wish there was a right answer. lol

Oh and most things won't kill faster than a Orion.
  5. YesNoMaybe

Pulsar LSW and SVA 88 are what you are looking at. I would go for the Pulsar LSW though as the SVA 88 is to similar to the Orion. Both are just as effective at cqc as each other but pulsar has much lower vertical recoil.

I'm just waiting till I get the auraxium for both Pulsar LSW and Flare before I move onto the sva.
  6. asdfPanda

Pulsar LSW. Cheapest weapon and most versatile. Only 100 certs!
  7. Blitzkrieg

There isn't. It comes down to play style.

Ursa has lower recoil. But the flare has a smaller CoF. Both do the same damage, but the Ursa has a faster reload and a higher bullet velocity while the Flare has a higher rate of fire by 22. However the Flare has access to Soft Point Ammunition as well as fire selector switch giving you the ability to choose from Semi Automatic, 3 round Burst and Fully Automatic. Which the Ursa does not.

As I said, it comes down to play style. Personally, I say the Flare due to its flexibility.
    • Up x 1
  8. Joram

For CQC, Orion>LSW>SVA88
    • Up x 1
  9. Bl4ckVoid

This.

Get the LSW Pulsar if you want to keep decent CQC ability and have much improved long-range capability.
    Flash supressor, forward grip, 2x reflex is my setup.

I you are good with Orion, switch to it when situation is leaning more towards CQC, when more in the open use the LSW.
  10. FnkyTwn

I'd ignore the Polaris. It's too expensive for what it does. From the Orion
    i'd go the Pulsar LSW. It's incredibly cheap and yet amazingly accurate
    in CQC and Medium engagements. It's the best all-around Vanu LMG.

LevelCap likes the Pulsar LSW so much he made two videos for it.

and

Keep in mind that LevelCap can probably kill more people with a knife
    while blindfolded than most of us can dream of with the perfect gun.

If you're looking at Medium to Longer range, ignore the Flare and go with
    the Ursa. I'm so sorry I wasted time and certs on the Flare after getting
    my hands on the Ursa. It's as close to the TMG-50 Vanu can get.
  11. Konfuzfanten

First and foremost: thx everyone :)

I have been fooling around with the NC Gauss SAW, it handles a bit differently then the Orion but OMG its a fantastic LMG for my playing style - awesome stopping power, lots and lots of ammo, little recoil. +80% of the time i gets the drop on ppl and with a Gauss SAW (advanced forward grip + IRNV, not got the certs for the suppressor...yet) i can rip people apart before they get more then 1-2 shots off.

So i have been looking at the flare as a poor mans Vanu Gauss SAW. So is the flare our "Gauss SAW" or is it the Ursa?
  12. Negator

Tier 1 LMGs:

Orion
    Pulsar LSW
    SVA 88

Tier 2 LMGs:

Everything else.

Honorable Mentions:

NS15A is pretty meh, but interesting.
    Ursa is far and away our best ranged option, but trades med/close versatility for it so badly that it's almost always a bad idea to equip it.

Youre only gimping yourself by not using the top 3. Furthermore, Soft Points are complete trash. And no, we dont have a Gauss SAW equivalent. If you ADS in CQC alot, get the SVA88. If not, the LSW is fine.
  13. Tyzh

The Gauss SAW stands alone.
  14. FnkyTwn

The SVA-88 is closer to the Orion than it is to the SAW. It's a good
    well rounded gun, but it doesn't have the stopping power you're looking
    for, and it also suffers from fairly bad muzzle flash, and it doesn't come
    with a Flash Suppressor option to fix that, so at night you'll be using
    something else. It's that bad.

The closest we can possibly get to long range heavy hitting is the Ursa.
    The Ursa is closest to the TMG-50, which is arguably the best LMG in
    the game. The Flare isn't as accurate as the Ursa and it suffers from
    not really having a place that it shines. So go with the Ursa.

At medium range with the Ursa, i win engagements vs the SAW much
    more often than I lose. If it's a fair fight, then I win. The SAW hits harder,
    but I can put a lot more bullets on point than the SAW can.
  15. Maarvy

A lot of the other Vanu lmgs are so similar to the orion its not going to feel that new .

I recomend the Flare it realy chugs out the damage , with soft point , High V ammo a good range of scopes and fire modes it can be customised to be brutal at any range give it a whirl in VR .
  16. Maarvy

SOE could have made some money and reskind the beast as a NS Lmg instead of the meh they actualy released .
  17. LowTechKiller

I played VS initially (to level 30) before my buddy decided he wanted us to switch to NC.
    Before the switch though, I opted for the SVA-88 and it worked well.

I've since played NC HA (past level 40) and for what it's worth, I don't really recall dying often to the Flare or the LSW. Other than the Phobos, I die a lot to anything named Solstice or Orion.

I'd suggest you look at a bunch of enemies' Killboards on their PS2 Players pages and see what's killing them most often. My NC main is LedPoisoning.

Good luck.
  18. Plague Rat

My favorite LMG in the whole game is the Flare. Which is problematic because I'm NC, but to me it has absolutely hands down the best feel of any LMG along with respectable damage.

But I think the most important thing is that the weapon feels good to you, rather than choosing based on our suggestions or a stat sheet. What's right for one person might not be right for you, and going by a stats is like buying a car without ever test driving it because it's specs looked good on a spread sheet.

Spend some time in VR with the weapons and all their attachments before you make a decision. Most importantly play with it's attachments. A weapon in it's default state is one thing, the directions it can grow in is another. And a weapon you like as a default might not grow in the direction you want with the attachments available to it.
  19. Ripshaft

I use the Ursa quite a bit, and based on my experience with the saw, and fighting against nc, I'd say the Ursa is very comparable to the saw in the burst-fullauto sweet spot, though the saw is better in close and at longer ranges where semi auto fire is used.

The Ursa has very noticibly the best ranged performance of any vanu LMG, and probably the best ranged effectiveness of any vanu carbine/ar/lmg... but it lacks the facemelting power of the saw at closer ranges. It's still quite effective at close-mid range (especially if you're accurate, head shots are easy with this gun), but not in the same way as the saw. It's the only gun I have where I've bought 5 optics for it and switch them frequently for max effectiveness. It just shows how much versatility the weapon has.... buuut to each their own, it doesn't sound like you're too interested in long range effectiveness, you'd probably be happy with the lsw or flare, but no vanu lmg is going to beat the orion in close engagements, it's built to be the best at it.
  20. Konfuzfanten

So i bought and upgraded the flare with suppressor, forward grip, IRNV and softpoint. gonna give it a weeks time and see how im doing. Ill post my results :)