Long Live 64 bit PS2 yes its better....!

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by user101, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruno Puntz Jones

If we already have the latest Nvidia drivers, do we also need to download and install some PhysX drivers or something in order to enable this to work when it comes out?
  2. Bindlestiff

Done.
  3. user101

No PhysX is enabled on SOE end, they have it turned off right now. I learned that high end PhysX can not be run on AMD cards only the low end PhysX can run on AMD cards. You need cuda cores to run high end PhysX stuff. I assume x64 is high end physX, I could be wrong about this but there is a lot of x64 physX stuff they just put in.
  4. Spiritualised

Perhaps Ive missed something, but please explain to me how physx alone is going to run the game
  5. Runegrace

User101's troll threads are the best.
    • Up x 2
  6. Bruno Puntz Jones

I get what you're saying. But Nvidia seems to have a whole separate page for "PhysX" downloads separate from their regular drivers. I don't actually know anything much about it, but it sounds like it's a vendor-specific version of something like DirectX, where you have to install the framework + special drivers or something so that the API is there to support games that can use it.

So, are you saying it's just something that the developer compiles into the game .exe itself, which then interfaces with the existing drivers and allows the game to do fancier things with the existing hardware?
  7. Spiritualised

Yes , you are wrong X64 is the 64bit version of the x86 instruction set. Its got nothing to do with nvidia or physx.
    • Up x 1
  8. Sandpants

Woo, 12 FPS.
  9. Rohxer

What do you mean by this? Bonkers in a good or bad way?
  10. Goretzu

What was going to be Win 8.2 is supposed to be being rebranded into Win 9. Hopefully this will sort out a lot of the issues with Win 8. To be honest I'd have gone from XP to Win 7 myself, as Win 7 is the best MS OS since Win 2000 IMO, functional, fast, stable and largely without whatever nonsense MS is trying to force on their customers this year.

I dunno, I suspect the 64 bit version will be buggier than the 32 bit version for at least 1/2 of that time.
  11. Goretzu

Largely yes (you need a PhysX enabled card though), it is very impressive when it works, unfortunately it also tends to be a big issue for crashing/bugs and such.

It did really nice things in PS2 with particle effects when they had it enabled.
  12. user101

I do not troll - I read ....! Try it some time it is en-lighting to those that do...!
  13. user101

Well a lot of ps2 is direct X right now. But Microsoft is no longer going to add to directX and is dumping it in the future. Partly because PhysX can do more than direct X can. -- Better graphics....! But High end PhysX requires cuda cores... and only EVGA stuff has that. Low end PhysX stuff will run on AMD cards but the good PhysX requires EVGA cards. And from the files I see being added to PS2 I would say that SOE is headed to high end PhysX and getting ready to dump Direct X.

Whats funny about all this is Microsoft released a 200MB driver to run physX graphs stuff also in there updates more or less supporting physX stuff also.

If some people would bother to read what file MS adds and PS2 adds they would know what the future holds.

And I get the physX stuff from the physX new letters that are on the WEB.... from Nivida physX site...! AGAIN I DON'T TROLL...!
  14. Bruno Puntz Jones

After reading up on this, it appears that PhysX is strictly for enabling fluff like more elaborate debris and particle effects. It's not a baseline API for rendering, just something that can be used to add a bit more eye candy without increasing CPU load (by much). If there is going to be any wholesale replacement for DirectX, it won't be PhysX alone.
    • Up x 1
  15. user101

To add to the above - On a personal note - I think intel is over priced and AMD CPU process work just as good as intel if not better.
    My idea of a good system is AMD processors with a Nivida EVGA card for the graphics. I think this is the best of both worlds.

I am waiting to see how many cuda cores works best in the new x64 ps2 so do you buy a GTX-780 or 780TI or something less.

I have nothing against AMD video cards... just waiting to see where the graph drivers are headed in the future.
  16. user101

Yes this is the problem ..... what is MS going to do about DirectX if they are not going to have it in the next generation.....???? What replaces it...???
  17. user101

Yes it may be the same base source code but it is compiled different...take my word on that.... its memory base is way different - it is in no way the same set of instructions as x86 is to the CPU. That is just wishful thinking on your part. X86 code and X64 code binary files are different.
  18. RonRoy

Not sure what SOE is doing with other games, but PS2 is working on adding DX11 now.

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/428955184631279616
  19. user101

I think this has more to do with the 64 bit version of PS2 than anything else. MS is supporting it for now in 64 bits. But MS says they are done with DirectX in the next generation when it is released. Not sure what the DEV game'rs are going to do. Next generation MS will not even have DirectX in it. That however could be a couple years down the road.
  20. Spiritualised

Oh really http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/microsoft_will_announce_directx_12_march_20.html
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.