Locking Launcher

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mhorlok, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Kristan

I don't give a finger about Annihilator being released first. Now you have two of them anyway.
    I wanted Striker to be as Striker. As much as NC wanted their Phoenix to work as Phoenix and VS Lancer to work as Lancer. They've got it. We didn't. Instead of fixing Striker back to PS1 Striker now we have portable Coyote launcher. And now we have a bastard of Annihilator and Striker and I guess that's A-OK with you?

If instead of Annihilator devs would happen to create Phoenix ripoff would you vote for reworking original Phoenix then, so it will become something inferior but not the same as it's NS equivalent?
  2. Reclaimer77

You TR are being really silly about this. And I play TR a LOT.

The Stryker is still unique because of the Coyote mechanic. With this thing, you can only fire AFTER you get a lockon. This is just the big brother of the Annihilator if anything. Nothing to do with the Stryker.

Freaking idiots. Complaining that they are adding new content to an MMO we pay to play? What kind of stupid community is this anyway!?
  3. ridicOne

Don't worry mate at this rate everything is going to be NS so it won't really matter in a year from now with the direction we're heading. Everything will be balanced cuz there will b no Flave LA Flave.... derp
  4. Kristan

Are you aware that original Striker had dumbfire mode just like current nerfed Striker? Well yeah it had. But with ability to switch back to lock on mode. So it's not "unique". Eff it.
  5. Hatesphere

so being the only infantry AV with the coyote mechanic is not unique, but having a rocket launcher that does what every lock on does (fires both lock-ons and dumb fire) is?

I mean you have the right to be angry about the current strikers performance, but it is in fact unique among infantry AV.
  6. Kristan

I don't want "unique" weapon in the first place. When Striker was created back in PS1 there were no other lock on launchers except for AA MAXes. It's not Striker's fault that devs decided to create a bunch of other lock ons in the first place. And coyote mechanics is not unique but very lame and bad. I don't want a weapon like that. No matter how "unique" that would be.

I want a Striker that has short range lock on and dumb fire mode. That's it.

But no. Instead of it devs create NS weapon that works almost like that, ruining TR main weapon that worked by that FOR AGES!
  7. Reclaimer77

Who cares what the TR had years ago?

No offense but game balance and enjoyment for EVERYONE is a little more important than how you feel about the Striker and it's place in the world.

Lock on's are the only effective tool against Air. Why do you think pilots hate them so much? EVERY faction needs access to this new weapon.

Grow up please. Striker balance and NS weapons don't have to be mutually exclusive.
  8. FateJH

You seem to be projecting some kind of strange personality onto someone who has the PlanetSide Classic downloader linked in his signature and who frequently makes para-nostalgic references that link to that game's wiki. If you can coax the ESRLs back to the original-original ESRLs, power to you; but, I'm not getting bitter over it. We're so many degrees from where we came from that it'd be anything but a token gesture in my book.
    • Up x 1
  9. Ronin Oni

When the Striker was created, there was already the Annihilator.

The "OG" striker was NEVER unique. It was OP... brokenly so thanks to some absurd bugs that made 4/5ths of every payload 100% unavoidable... but even after those bugs were fixed it was just an OP variant of the Anni.

Then it was nerfed to an inferior Anni with forced active tracking... it was a lil more unique because of this, but ONLY in completely BAD ways.

NOW the Striker is actually UNIQUE. It functions long range like the Fracture, and they CONTINUE to tweak it's capacity at performing this way, and for AA it offers TR something no other Faction has anything close to.

Oh, and the NS Thumper IS already a concept item to be added at some point, and it will provide the same purpose of Lasher (point/corner suppresion).

'Nix I doubt will get any NS copy, but neither will the new, actually UNIQUE, Striker.

TL;DR: You're a nostalgic idiot. There is NO reason to want Old striker other than misguided longing for PS1

I also own and use the Striker on my TR BTW, which happens to be the same rank as my VS (roughtly, give or take a couple BR's as they go back and forth)
    • Up x 1
  10. ColonelChingles

I think we should really consider whether the Striker should be effective against aircraft at all.

The Phoenix and the Lancer aren't great against aircraft. They are meant for taking out ground vehicles.

The Striker as it existed yesterday (pre-patch) did slightly worse against ground vehicles than the Phoenix and Lancer, but did about three times better against aircraft. In fact the Striker was about as effective against aircraft as the TR's AA lock-on launcher (3.05 versus 3.57 AKPH, respectively).

So why should the NC and VS be given an AV weapon while the TR are handed an AV/AA weapon? Especially if the TR option performs just as well as the NC and VS one at an AV role but far better in an AA role?

Really they should take the Coyote mechanic from the Striker and apply it to ground vehicles... but not apply it against air vehicles. The Striker, like the Phoenix and the Lancer, should primarily be an AV option with little effectiveness against air.
    • Up x 1
  11. Ronin Oni

That... would actually be brokenly OP.

Also, the Lancer is quite good as anti Heavy-Air, and there are a few NC who've made good use knocking out A2G ESF's and hitting Lib/Gals @200m alt

Also, the ESRL's being functionally different is part of assymettry, something we need MORE of.

The Striker still offers the TR HA the highest velocity AV munition avail, and they've buffed CoF bloom to allow firing in sets of 2 with brief delays (fire 2, pause a sec, fire 2, pause, fire 2, reload)
  12. ColonelChingles

Statistically speaking, a drop in the bucket.

Asymmetry is good, but odd as it is to say it, asymmetry should be equal. :p

So sure, the NC, VS, and TR should all have different mechanism for their AV launchers. That's great.

But if suddenly one AV launcher proves remarkably effective against other targets (like the release Phoenix was against infantry), that's not so great. Because one faction will get access to flexibility and effectiveness that the other factions do not get. This was also the case of the Striker at release... good against air and ground vehicles equally.

AV rocket launchers should be AV rocket launchers. AA rocket launchers should be AA rocket launchers. And if you're going to go some middle route like the Annihilator, then
    1) It must have some disadvantage when compared to pure AA or AV launchers.
    2) It must be available to all factions.

If your position is that the Striker should be both AV and AA, then my reply would be that the Striker shouldn't be as good as AV launchers at AV work or AA launchers at AA work. In that case the Striker is actually pretty decent pre-patch as it is...

Combined VKPH and AKPH
    Lancer- 10.63
    Striker- 8.49
    Phoenix- 7.58

So buff the Phoenix a bit and nerf the Lancer a bit... and then they will be equalized around the Striker.
  13. Ronin Oni

Actually, I'd say Striker needed the buff it got... and it's *possible* it might need faster CoF recovery (not sure though, the CoF buff sounds like it will be significant enough)

The 'Nix does need buffing... unfortunately they can't increase it's range apparently for engine reasons... however they COULD give it an "afterburner" of sorts, which would be a HUUUUGE boon to using it (I own and love the Nix, but an enemy just reversing will outrun the damn thing) That and fix it's collision with occupied vehicle from rumble seat and the 'Nix would likely see numbers climb quite well.

Lancer I'd only tweak extreme range damage values (lower min damage) It should retain it's effectiveness around 300m. It might even warrant a slight buff to short range (likely in form of reduced CoF bloom which is crazily high where you can miss a parked sunderer aiming mid body with a round or 2 from 50m away full spam)
  14. Kristan

When the Sriker was created there were NO ANNIHILATOR. There were Phoenix, there were Lancer, there were Decimator. Nothing more.
    Maybe. But the way it worked in PS1 would be working in PS2 just perfectly, without being OP or anything. But nooo, let's create something OP, then nerf it to the ground just because they didn't create ESRLs in the first place like devs actually should. :mad:
  15. Haquim

I admit I haven't used the Striker today, but according to the patch notes they halved the COF. That should do a lot.
    Although if it is supposed to be a G2A launcher as the Coyote-mechanic suggests it still needs more velocity. The only thing that you can hit reliably are A2G ESFs that are far too close (and Airhammers and Banshees who HAVE to get so close - not like the latter would be a problem either way...)

I fully support the Colonels proposal to apply the Coyote-mechanic to ground vehicles. Thats what I wanted when it was announced anyway. Also there is really enough AA in the game
    Ok to be honest I hoped it would lock on to both (and MAXes for good measure) but I guess everyone wants the best toy. :D
    But I try to be honest about it ;)
  16. Ronin Oni

Uhm, I have little problem hitting ESF's within lock range with Striker... just takes a lil lead and the old box for lock area works great for that.

Tank coyote would be brokenly OP. You wouldn't be able to get anywhere NEAR TR with armor, as most cover wouldn't protect you. It'd be like the Phoenix, but higher DPS, easier to use, and effective past 300m.

Making the Striker accurate enough to fire with a reasonable RoF for long range (it does still have the second highest velocity of ALL RL's, only beat by Lancer), as they've been slowly narrowing in on, is the correct way to go
  17. Haquim

Well its not like the "can't get anywhere near" part aint the same with Ravens.
    Did those get nerfed by the way?
    It seems that a lot less people pull them since a couple weeks...
  18. Naphemil

or, nerf all of them till they throw out bunnies for ammunition!
  19. toast2250

20. Peebuddy

I'm going to assume that each faction G2A launcher are the same even though you have to buy each of them even if you use station cash. Which is dumb, but whatever

So the striker performs at par with our G2A (The grounder) yet it's completely useless against vehicles, unlike the grounder which has the benefit of being single shot dumbfire damage. Very good to have because vehicles tend to move when fired upon, which the phoenix and lancer have little trouble compensating for.

It's a great tool to expand your arseal (phoenix/ lancer) and when you want something that does equally as well against air then switch to your nemesis and hawks. meanwhile Tr completely lacks any long range infantry AV weaponry, it's a complete blind spot to us. We rely heavily on our prowlers because of this

The god damn annihilator performs better for god sake, the striker needs to be a form of the annihilator but with coyotes instead of locking on. To fill our much needed "precision" weaponry category