Lock-On Weapons

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WetPatch, Jun 1, 2013.

1. WetPatch

I'm completely sick of them (more so the Striker but its all the same problem), with the implementation of this god awful Lattice system where its zerg vs zerg 24/7 you cant get near a base in any sort of mechanized vehical be it from Flash to MBT or ESF to Galaxy.

I love my tank driving, i also love sitting on a Watch tower and blasting tanks for easy exp with a ammo pack deployed next to.

What i don't like is none rendered missiles, missiles that ignore all forms of cover, unbreakable locks because for some reason the Striker doesn't break once your in cover for a few seconds then instantly re-locks.

I hate having a MBT (Magrider) than cant use cover by design, i hate the fact its center is highest of all tanks so cant break locks the same way other tanks can.

I hate the fact that this game is now getting so dumbed down to appeal to the CoD generation that its making the game dull and boring to play, a game with who ever moans loudest gets what they want.
  2. NinjaTurtle

The problem with lock on weapons is how often they are used, rather than that they exist.

Personally the only way I can think of to make them spammed less but to keep them in the game (I am against removing any weapon) would be to make lock on rockets cost resources. 35 for single rockets and 70 for 1 Striker magazine would be fair imo
  3. haldolium

Even though I spent certs on one, I would be in favor of removing them.

That is mainly because I do not see an end to the mayhem and overpopulated areas PS2 has right now, especially with the lattice. This game is not designed for so many people in such small areas.

I have no problem with a bunch of FLAK MAX units denying the air, but Lockons are just cheap trolling weapons in current fights.

Same goes for G2G Lockons actually. That whole mechanic is entirely broken given the amount of players in areas not even designed for half of them.

Only alternative I see would be an untility that denies Lockons entirely, but making an existent weapon completely useless is not a great solution either (removing them neither, but I really do not see the a right that they exist)
  4. HEAVY[1]

1) I payed real money for a launcher that LOCKS ON AIR targets.
    2) In real war, pilots might get shot down when they fly over enemies.
    3) what am i supposed to do, just let you blow me up from your safe seat in the air?
    4) no.
  5. PhilDun

How about you use weapons that take even some small semblance of skill?
    • Up x 1
  6. HEAVY[1]

like the guass SAW? good gun , but probably wont kill that scythe zooming around the sky
    or the shrike? meh I'd rather not waste rockets.
    underbarrel smoke launcher? cool but ineffective against aircraft.
    looks like I'll stick to the HAWK, and save my skill weapons for those brave enemies i meet on the ground.
  7. Tekuila

This kind of attitude is absolutely baffling. You guys seem to be under the impression that people flying aren't in danger and that's a complete joke. Flying around in today's airspace is far more dangerous than running around on the ground.

When I fly I tend to get stressed out over all the AA and lock ons, when I am on the ground I just farm people with my tmg or a tank.
  8. HEAVY[1]

Im not saying pilots have it easy, I'm not saying pilots aren't brave Im saying I cant be bothered with them.
    So, HAWK it is for flyers that threaten me or my team.
    shabooty.
  9. weebeep

Skill what is that? I don't need skill with a camera guided rocket.
  10. HEAVY[1]

meh I found the phoenix left me wanting. (it also left me exposed)
  11. Lord Robert

I don't understand why aircraft don't use flares more. They sort of make lock-ons useless. Gotta be like 8/10 aircraft I go after just deploy a flare and fly away.
    Also, just yesterday I was trapped in a spawn room being assaulted by multiple tanks on a ridge. So I thought, I'll switch to heavy and try to take a couple with me. Every time I started to lock one, it would move a couple of feet and I would accidentally lock on to another one, which was nearby and it would reset my lock-on timer. Happened 4-5 times, I couldn't get a shot off. I probably could have got 2 or 3 off with a direct fire AV weapon.
    There are lots of counters to lock-ons. They are not the finger of God crushing everything in their path people make them out to be.
  12. haldolium

Makes me think you haven't been in an aircraft for a while...

Flares are no counter to 2+ A2G and maybe additional A2A lockons due to long recharge even at maximum plus being bugged right now especially when it comes to the Striker. You do not get near any battleground with flares most of the time.

As a single lock-on user, the weapons become almost pointless. As a group lock-on users, the weapon becomes entirely dominating. There is no middle ground for lock-ons. Ground and air alike.

Either they suck for the one person using them (since scaring away people doesn't give YOU satisfaction, even though it can overall help the battle development) or they suck for the target.