Lock On Launchers on Testserver

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Aesir, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Aesir

Really?! Oo One of the Vanguards also was not lockable in VR. No matter what Launcher you use.

This screams for more testing ;)
  2. Oheck

Wel

Well, for starters, your 'demonstration' would hold some validity if the tank was either empty, or had an afk driver in it....in which case it would be an easy target no matter what you use. Use the striker against a MOVING target and see how your tests come out.
  3. Aesir

What is invalid about it? Sure if a Tank is moving achieving this is harder, but that does not change the fact that it works.

This does not change the fact that if you flank an enemy tank from the side you can reliably hit the rear.

The only thing that is not tested is if this screws with the hitindicator for the Driver, screening your location.
  4. Oheck

Well what invalidates it is the way striker rockets track. On a moving target the missiles will not hit the rear as in your vid. They use predictive tracking, so once in the air they try to meet the target at a point ahead of its direction of movement.
  5. Rayden78

Ah i forgot tanks can drive with 200 mph towards the floor and fool the predictive tracking.

As the speed difference between rocket and tank is much larger than between rocket and plane its harder to make the rocket not hit the intended spot. I agree though that this lock on mechanism has only a limited use cause its shortranged.
  6. Oheck

I can tell you have ZERO experience with the launcher. So why even bother saying anything? Just an FYI, predictive tracking is not restricted to one axis. Plus no one is talking about fooling the predictive tracking. Fact is the video is not a realistic situation, unless as I stated earlier, the tank is unoccupied or has an afk driver. Otherwise the second you hit a tank, that tank is going to move. So good luck landing repeated shots to the rear of the tank using the striker.
  7. Aesir

To really trigger predictive tracking.. they would need to really move at some high speed 120kmph+.

And than still, it's useful if you just shoot strait into the air to decrease the chance of it hitting terrain.

I like the way this works and allows lock on launcher users to have some more influence on the missile.

But the directional damage can not stay in that current form. There are several solutions to this ...

1. The facing of the missile should not be determined by the missile, instead it needs to go to the position of the shooter, like on the Phoenix.

2. An alternative, for ground targets the missile shoots strait into the air to do a top down attack.

3. The maneuverability against ground targets get's worse so that the missiles are no longer able to make those insane sharp turns.

Those are just 3 possibilities I can think off, I'm sure there are other good ideas to deal with this, but it can not stay as it is.
  8. Eclipson

I would be fine with them nerfing the damage of the striker if I could do this. Would make it more enjoyable to use, which is all I care.
  9. Aesir

This change is now on the live servers!