Lock On Launchers on Testserver

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Aesir, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Jablon

Yay, more buffs to skill-ons!

Underpoweredness of the skill-ons and too quiet jumpjets were there most pressing issues with Planetside 2 - I bet that after they fix those problems the population will finally start to grow.
  2. Kon

doing that changes nothing apart from making every other launcher useless especially dumbfire rockets where you basically put yourself at being 1 shot by a tank point blank to get that rear shot
  3. Halon

I agree with hits dealing damage where they land, and the missile mechanics seem interesting.

But the angle you can look away and still hit targets is too large, front armor will become useless and you aren't going to be able to rely on small amounts of cover to save you from that last rocket, or in most cases that last volley of rockets. Forget about using slight hills as cover. MBTs should be reclassified as artillery pieces, while they watch infantry walk from base to base.

Looking forward to see what they have in mind for tank buffs.
    • Up x 2
  4. Mekaniz

Can you do damage to base turrets using this technique by aiming way above them?
  5. siiix

not the striker , remotely similar , but not even close to this extreme
  6. Grayson

Yes, all we need is more TR love in this game and more advertising for them!
    Best CQC / versitalle weapons, ESF, MAX, and ESRL now with MOAR buffs decause devs aren't playing their own dam game!
    And don't forget the Hailstorm that mini LMG, which is NOT a sidegrade to the other SMG with that 60 "lolspammdontcare"mag...

It's redicilous how OP is againts air, and makes no sense since other ESRL have a low chance hitting (NC) / or dmging (VS) air.
    TR can just simply MBT lolzerg everywhere with a striker squad + a few MAX, without even fearing anything ( air/ground )
  7. Chiss

What people have failed to notice, is this means lock-ons cannot be used at close range unless you aim directly at it like a dumb-fire (after locking on).
  8. Copasetic

I think it's about time to get rid of the rear armor vulnerability. It made sense back when the biggest threat to armor was other armor, now it's just an exercise in frustration because you can't maneuver around infantry at all without exposing your rear to some HA hiding in the rocks, or firing MANA rockets from 600m away, or invisible Phoenix rockets, or lock ons from 400m away.
    • Up x 1
  9. diversionkay

So if we have a collision system like that.

Let's assume the following.
    TR: Striker can deal rear damage
    NC: Phoenix can deal rear damage
    Lancer: We are screwed

The Striker will just be tremendously better than the other two ESRL
  10. Halon

I'm not sure that will matter, tanks have a dangerous enough time at close range already, and any smart driver will stay at medium to long range. If players need lock-on's at ranges closer than when those missiles start tracking, they are not the players SOE should be taking any notes from.

From the video it looks like if you over shoot before the rocket starts tracking it will still find it's target, and now that I think about it, in a worst case scenario players will purposefully overshoot to have the missile track to the rear of the tank. I foresee a lot of lock on users just tilting up and to the left/right for most engagement ranges.

It would be interesting if lock on' s didn't work on targets closer than say 100 meters. MBTs having tactical decisions to make other than "maintain max distance with front towards enemy and stay with the zerg/air cover"? Madness.
  11. SgtCheese

Wow! I know everyone else is gonna hate me but this is going to make the Striker soooo badass. Those ESF pilots that used up there flares are now dead because their fly into the ground tactic wont help them.
  12. HyperMatrix

I like that it adds an extra level of skill. I'd also be ok with it being a Striker Only feature.
  13. y3ivan

i believe SOE decide to make all missiles as aircraft property to force the client to render them like phoniex. This in the other hand will screw up the directional armor.
  14. Shinrah

Yep, and the TR havn´t got enough cheese yet. Not to mention that the Striker is soooo bad :(

Just fyi, saying the Striker is not unique, albeit true, is not a valid argument for making it outclass any other ESRL.
  15. Oblomoff

Uh-h testserver stuff stays on testserver forum branch - I don't want to read about all the unbalanced goodies which clearly need balance passes. Please.
  16. Aesir

Yes.
  17. HyperMatrix

You are complaining about a weapon that didn't need any skill to use, in your opinion, now being skill-based? As a skilled player this makes using the striker more interesting. The striker has always been great at DPS. The problem is that being able to maintain a lock on a target is very hard to do. All it takes is a couple tree branches to make it worthless. This small change won't make it game breaking, but will make it a bit more exciting.
  18. Aesir

I do not trust SOE in all it's wisdom to understand without some help what the directional damage mechanic and this seemingly small change to lock ons can mean for Tanks and their rear weak spot. So I would like that this get's some attention so we get some feedback from SOE where they aim to go with this.
  19. Mekaniz

I went on the test server to try it but it seems they have completely disabled locking on base turrets :rolleyes:
  20. Aesir

You can also dumbfire most of those lock ons except the Annihilator and the Striker. Actually.. you can now dumbfire them if you maintain lock but like I said, after ~70m they start tracking.

But the insane turns those missiles can take does make this also kinda irrelevant, since they will most likely still hit aslong as you fire it into open space and there are no object in the path towards the Tank.