[Suggestion] List of possible ASP perks and tweaks for Infiltrators in future patches.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Zak Preston, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Zak Preston

• Infiltrators got no new weapons unlocks in APS patch and the only more or less valuable one is the Sticky grenade unlock. @Roxxlyy stated that somewhen in the future we'll get more ASP perks:
    In this thread I will try to compile the ideas for ASP perks and fixes that the class may need. Please note that some of them may feel underpowered or overpowered: this is OK, because we're already on the short end of the stick and didn't get any serious updates for years (since I quit the game in 2013 infils got only Wraith cloak for Flash and some NS weapons).
    A decent part of suggested ASP perks are inspired by different abilities and the least used implants.

Let's start:
    • Variable scopes: This would allow infils to buy and equip scopes with variable magnification. Implementation may vary: from a single scope that gives you a full range of all accessible scopes (for example, 6x-12x scope for long-range sniper rifles and 1x-6x for scout rifles).
    • Lower magnification 3.4x-4x optics for long-range sniper rifles like Parallax, XM98, Longshot or Railjack.
    • Advanced silencer: removes bullet drop penalty that standard silencers give and\or decreases the penalty for bullet speed
    • Toggleable IRNV or simple NVG: this is a QoL change because you can simply adjust brightness during the nights.
    • Rangefinder: a QoL change that may be helpful players that are new to LR sniping. Not many infils use Sweeper Hud for sniping anyway.
    • Passive sprint speed increase: much like Adrenaline Pump.
    • Decreased cloaking\decloaking sound volume and range
    • Recon spotter and darts have decreased minimap display range for enemies.
    • Bipods: an attachment or perk that allows you to remove scope sway after installing the rifle on a flat elevated surface and staying still for at least 1 second
    This is not an exhaustive list of possible ASP perks and ofc some of them may seem imbalanced or useless. Some of the the suggested perks may be split, some may be merged.

Now I’d like to talk about infiltrators in general: The class is full of unique mechanics and it’s obvious that balancing it is not a trivial task, I welcome the removal of carbines ASP unlock because:
    • They made infiltrators way too versatile in literally any close and midrange encounters.
    • My limited experience tells me that carbines are considerably superior to scout and battle rifles mostly because of CQC capabilities and they are much less demanding to aim.
    As a result, carbines would have replaced most scout rifles and SMGs. Only CQC BASRs would survive, but their skill ceiling is much higher.

Scout and Battle Rifles :
    • Semi auto empire-specific SRs are quite decent weapons, but NS Vandal is almost a direct upgrade because of .75 ADS. better hipfire accuracy 15 bullets per mag. Maybe, empire-specific semi-auto SRs could get some minor buf to be in like with their NS “better version”?
    • Full-auto ES SRs have a crisis of identity: they look like a nerfed version of carbine or assault rifle. Can’t say they are bad (I actually quite like Artemis), but in CQC environment SMGs look WAY better.
    Sniper rifles: The last empire-specific SRs were added years ago, Directive SRs look like generic copies, Daimyo is a unique weapon (which I welcome). Since the launch of PS2, sniper rifles got only 2 serious upgrades: Straight Pull Bolt for BASRs and Ballistics Computer for SASRs. It would be really nice to get more ES versions of sniper rifles, preferably with unique features and flavor.

• Semi-auto long-range (6x-12x scoped) SRs are pretty decent in my opinion, especially with Ballistics Computer attachment, but the short-range ones may be disappointing in CQC because of terrible hipfire accuracy. Since release of PS2 CQC SASRs didn’t get any new attachments, which is kinda dull and depressing. While there is little to no sense in laser sights (it won’t improve hipfire accuracy anyways), compensators, flash suppressors, HVA or extended magazines might make sense for the rifles. SARS have an extremely annoying problem with midrange encounters: facing enemies equipped with any automatic rifles usually ends bad for infiltrator: it’s much easier to burst-fire an area around the enemy’s head than to land 2 consequent headshots, especially when your screen shakes and flinches. The recoil recovery is a bit faster than the CoF bloom, therefore the actual precise RoF is lower as well.
    • Bolt-Action Sniper Rifles: It’s really hard to think of any improvements and attachments, my only wish is more new ES BASRs with unique mechanics and faction flavor. The biggest problem with
    SMGs: Could TR and VS get some ES SMGs with stats closer to Cyclone, please. Actually, even NS one would be fine.

Conclusion: Infiltrators don’t need access to carbines, which would most likely lead to a chain of class changes and perhaps even overhaul. All we need is tweaks, class-specific ASP traits, more empire-specific weapons and quality of life changes: ASP perks, new weapon attachments, a slight semi-auto sniper and scout rifles buff.
  2. Eternaloptimist

All of the other ASP benefits have been about wider ability to carry stuff that is in the current inventory or about lower resource cost for pulling vehicles.

I've no idea what additional perks will come along but I imagine infiltrator perks will be in the same vein as for other classes.
  3. Zak Preston

All except for infiltrator. We got literally nothing of use.
  4. iStalk

Yup, at least give a stalker access to two side arms :)
  5. Blam320

Last I heard, they're in the process of working on having Pistol Primaries work around Stalker's restrictions.

Otherwise, I'm not entirely certain what sort of ASP perks to give Infils.

Quick-det Flash Grenade access?

Keeping the workaround for Pistol Primaries (which would mean Pistols or "secondary" weapons are not disabled by Stalker regardless of what slot they're in, but "primary" weapons still would be) in mind, would SMG Secondaries be too overpowered? Because it seems like Infiltrators lack the ability to really reliably switch between the sniping game and midrange/CQC without having to visit a resupply terminal.
    • Up x 1
  6. LordKrelas

If Stalkers could wield SMG's, you basically have no reason to use the other cloaks when intending to engage with SMG's
    Nano is one thing, but infinite cloaking, with a full primary, generally beats that little bonus resistance while cloaked.
    After all, the one cost of that Stalker cloak is the restriction from Primary-weapon firepower.
    And Pistols already come with near primary firepower, like the Commisioner, the Blackhand (a pistol sniper), and others.
    It's hard to compete with infinite cloak, when not wielding a sniper rifle
    - let alone if ASP Stalkers have SMG's, and the non-ASP Stalkers have only a pistol.

Other than that, it's an entirely good question of what could be given to infils in ASP.
  7. iStalk

Or two side arms? Like black hand and w.e. or two knives? Like the throwing one and a power knife. The tears people will have will be sweet