List of Light Assault nerfs

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by AuntLou42, Feb 17, 2014.

1. AuntLou42

It doesn't look the light assault will be getting a revamp any time soon. I'm not sure if it's because the LA isn't played enough or if it's already considered balanced or even OP? I'm not sure if people realize it but the light assault has taken quite a few nerfs since launch some direct, some indirect and some that effected all classes but LA the most. So here is the list and please posts any additional nerfs I missed.

• Carbine nerfs. Carbines have taken a couple nerfs if I remember correctly.
    • UBGL nerf. IMO affected engineers more but still a nerf for the LA.
    • 2 C4 no longer killing sunderers.
    • C4 Exploding near pain fields, jump pads, etc.
    • Blinking red beacon added to C4.
    • Rez removes death. Buff that was applied to every class but you can't get rezzed on a roof top(99% of the time)). Also I want to add that it's not confirmed it rezzes actually remove your death. They might just remove the death from your session stats or not at all. Can anyone confirm?
    • Overhangs added to bio lab teleport rooms. The majority of the current bio lab changes were LA C4 nerfs(simply because people are incapable of looking for a blinking red light on the ground).
    Adding additional from thread to this main list:
    • Can't ADS while using jump jets
    • "A minimap displaying the killer’s and assistor’s relative position to yours" Effects every class, infiltrators the most but LA second.
    • Spawn room pain fields.
    • Jumping add costs to your fuel ~ Simeferion
    Tiny windows patch. ~ Hoki (meant for Lib/ESF spam)

Also there is RogueComet's nerf list(Thanks Iridar51) which includes some I already have but I will paste the whole list intact:
    "No tool slot item
    Little team-play aspect
    Change to cert prices for C4 from beta to make C4 more expensive to cert into
    Taking Icarus JJ out of the game
    Pump Actions pretty much make Carbines obsolete (not totally but close!)
    Changes to spawn beacon so it is Squad Lead only (yeah that DID hurt LA)
    3D spotting changes to make hiding more difficult (happened around GU02, undocumented)
    Spotting nerf where we can't spam it to help friendlies anymore (GU02 2/2/13)
    Jump Pads work only for Facility Owners (GU02 2/2/13)
    Death Fields around Spawn rooms (GU03? 2/21/13)
    Spawn Room Redesigns (GU03? 2/21/13)
    Window shutter changes (GU03? 2/21/13)
    C4 Damage radius nerf (GU04 3/13/13)
    C4 despawning when you respawn (GU04 3/13/13)
    Push back of LA Revamp (moved to Unscheduled on 4/15/13)
    JJ volume increased (GU07 4/18/13)
    C4 nerf against Sunderers (GU08 5/02/13)
    Flash Grenade Radius reduced (GU09 5/22/13)
    Walkway at top of tower (above doors) removed (GU09 5/22/13)
    C4 damage nerf against Liberators and possibly ESFs (GU09 5/22/13)
    Tracers are now more visible during the daytime. (GU10 6/5/13)
    Vehicle Health doesn't display more than 10m away (GU10 6/5/13)
    HS/NV Scope Nerf (GU11 6/20/13)
    C4 gains a Red Light (very minor thankfully, GU11 6/20/13)
    Shotgun Nerf (GU11 6/20/13)
    Infantry Movement Fix increased fall damage (GU11 6/20/13)
    Downward Speed boost on JJ nerfed (GU13 7/24/13)"
    See RogueComet's thread here: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/la-nerf-list.116293/

So as you can see there list is decently long and I know I missed a few. Yes some of the nerfs were deserving but it's still imperative to point out the accumulated nerfs since launch. How many nerfs can you pile on until the class just isn't worth playing anymore? The only buff to the Light Assault I can think of is to the drifter jump jets.

I'd really like to get SOE to bump up the LA revamp or at the very least stop the nerfs. So far all I've heard is they want to give LA akimbos but to me that does not help the LA support their squad or make it viable in a competitive play environment. They need something in their tool slot and flash nades need to become more useful.

TLDR: Light Assaults get no love.

Edit: **
    • Up x 1
  2. Iridar51

Don't forget these ones. There are several nerfs that aren't in that list since RogueComet stopped counting.

I agree. Apart from bug fixes and sliding-with-drifters nobody uses there were no positive things done to LA.
    If not for constant, unwarranted nerfs, I would question if devs even acknowledge the existence of this class.

It would be amusing if it wouldn't be so sad. I wouldn't be surprised if the next set of patch notes would like this:
    - added three new abilites for engineer
    - medics now instantly revive a player if they jump on his corpse once
    - heavy assault health pool increased by 30%
    - ESFs now get a third weapon slot.
    - new weapon for ESF's third slot: self guiding self shooting missile pods that one shot all aerial infantry targets. Sliding with drifters along the ground counts as aerial target.
    - removed Jump Jets from Light Assault class
    - Light Assault can no longer shoot or use any items with Drifter Jets.

Next patch:
    - we assessed your negative feedback, and changed our mind. Engineers now have six new abilities, and the three abilities we added in the last patch are three times more imbalanced.
    - also Light Assault can't move while drifting.

Exaggerating aside, that's pretty much how every patch looks like from LA perspective.
    • Up x 3
  3. AuntLou42

Oh I also forgot...

• Can't ADS while using jump jets.
    • Up x 4
  4. Takoita

While I think that being unable to kill a Sunderer with two bricks of C4 is not exactly bad for the game, every other C4-related change was not necessary, IMHO. Painfields killing off the explosives left by the previous owners felt especially over the top.

UBGL's current trajectory is a travesty which sends almost every use of it other than 'I am an engineer sitting up here on the AMP station's rafters with an ammo pack, farming mah kills' to the trash bin. Which did exactly nilch about the problem people were complaining about while still ruining the weapon for actual situations in the field.

These are not really LA-only nerfs and yes, the jetpack makes the user see your everyday Engineer weaponry in a completely new light, but I do hope LA will get something more than 'ooh, a new SMG that performs 99% like the previous one'.
    • Up x 1
  5. Hoki

the biggest one was the tiny windows patch
    • Up x 2
  6. Lethal_Sting

Or the buildings that have a window frame, only for it to have a slate of armor welded over it.
    • Up x 3
  7. Tenebrae Aeterna

Truth be told, I believe that they have absolutely no idea what they want to do with the Infiltrator and Light Assault.
    • Up x 7
  8. Louey

I could easily come up with allot of ideas for the LA but it's hard to think of things that wouldn't be overpowered considering their jump jet/roof top advantages.
    • Up x 1
  9. Sandpants

You know, it's not far from really happening.

They'd be like "Wait LA can use medkits when flying? And throw/detonate C4? How did we miss that?"

It'll come down to the point where LA won't be able to use Jetpacks without having map open, just cos flying is so good it needs to obscure vision.
  10. Iridar51

The saddest thing is - we can't even say "Well, if they would even go as far as to outright delete the Light Assault class we would still have a great game to play!".
    Every time I log in I am reminded in not a pleasant manner how much I hate dealing with tanks and MAXes all the time, how screwed up hit detection is, that requires me to put 14-16 bullets in a player when average BTK is 7-8 and how everyone just wants a cheesy farm instead of playing competitively and having fun.
    • Up x 1
  11. Duban

To be fair most of the things you mentioned were necessary. I mean a single LA running in and 1 shotting sunderers wasn't particularly good for the game. The UBGL was necessary was broken because of engineers combining them with amo packs. It sucks how they "fixed" them though instead of making it so amo packs no longer regen the grenades.Who puts C4 near pain fields anyways? It was mainly to stop people from loading a spawn room with mines before the base switched over and was definitely a good thing.

The overhangs on the bio lab sucks though. It makes it a lot harder for LAs to escape the teleport pads, disrupt the defenders, and cause general havoc.
  12. Catch23

I assume among tons of new features in the LA update sometimes later this year there will be probably one useful thing.
    better than nothing I guess but not more.

Maybe a better grenade. smoke and flashbangs are useless. Flash is unreliable and Smoke requires IR/NV which doesnt fit the class well as it's a very slow sight.
    EMPs would be awesome and actually fit this class better than infiltrators but I don't see it coming, probably op with carbines if they dont reduce the detonation timer on them

Dual Wield will make it into the game and enter the usual buff/ nerf cycle. In case it's really good from the start it will get nerfed until it's useless. or be mediocre right away like Stalker Cloak.

There is a reason why LA don't get love. it's the least played class. Infiltrators, HAs and Max Players are extremely demanding and the Devs are giving their average customers what they want. like in any game.

the only possibilty this class could get buffed is when the effects would be underestimated by the community. so this would have to be non-weapon related changes.

active/ passive radar perks seem to be generally underated (most players never use suppressors, many infiltrators dont use their darts) I'm aiming here. not waiting for it tho.
  13. AuntLou42

Another LA nerf being added to PTS: "A minimap displaying the killer’s and assistor’s relative position to yours"

You might say this effects every class however it will hurt flanking/stealth classes much more.
  14. Moisture

I struggle to put how much I don't like this idea into words
    • Up x 1
  15. Simferion

There's also the momentum they added to the flight. Now just jumping a little costs half of your fuel.
    • Up x 1
  16. Silvermyst

I'd say that they should give LAs access to assault rifles (so they can be set up for slightly further ranged combat, if desired) as well as give them +20% base fuel for their jump jets/drifters and see how it goes from there. I don't think that'd be OP at all.
  17. gregfox89

I thought that was more to reduce lib spam
  18. Decian

A Nice easy one would be to remove the "start" cost of jump jets. Then we could actually manage them with pulses. If they added a bit of speed to the jump jet it would be nice too. I feel like I haven't taken a **** in 3 weeks and it's weighing my jetpack down. =/
  19. AuntLou42

Just because the intentions of the nerf were for the lib doesn't mean it doesn't affect the light assault.
  20. gregfox89

Well yeah, but the general tone of this thread was "OMG LOOK AT HOW MUCH SOE HATES LIGHT ASSAULTS"
    I'm not denying they're nerfs but some of them are indirect nerfs, so I was pointing that out.