Like a mercenary

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Newlife1025, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Newlife1025

After looking back at the mercenary, I gotta say it was a good gun. When I was a noob I hate the thing, but not as much as i hated the saw. After using it again with the auto attachments, that thing is a beast. Sadly, I auraxiumed it faster than I could actually enjoy it. So I'm wondering, what guns work and feel like the mercenary. Also, I have the ac-x11 on gold on its way to audacity.
  2. Liewec123

the Gauss Compact S is pretty similar and also lets you use the underbarrel weapons :D
    its my go-to carbine for when i'm not feeling overly aggressive (GD-7F) or overly campy (AC-X11)
  3. T.A.94

similar weapon to the mercinary would be :
    AF 4A Bandit
    i can really recommend this one to you
    it also has an greater firerate ,movement multiplier and significant
    greater recoil but not to bad

the weapon you re actually looking for is the Carbine directive reward the FORTUNA
    completly same like the mercinary only it has access to an underbarrelshotgun and
    depending on the stats seems to be slightly better while hipfiring
  4. entity009

I am currently working though carbines. I started using the acx11, merc, compact-s, razor and gd-7f. I freeking hate the merc. Its in a weird no good at cqc and still inaccuarate at range place. I bought the bandit just to avoid the merc and quickly found out that it is very similar. I like the guns that fit a role like cqc with the gd7f or long range with the razor or acx11. That half in between poo leaves me with a gun i dont like at either close or long range.

I push though the directives in 300 kill rounds before swapping guns. Every time i get back to the bandit and compact-s i hate life and my kdr takes a steep dive.
  5. The Shady Engineer

The entire 167 carbine arsenal are sidegrades of the Merc.

Bandit is a close quarters oriented Mercenary.
    Razor is a mid-long range version of the Mercenary.
    GCS is a slightly worse Mercenary with access to more attachment options and as a result, more versatility.
    GCB is a Mercenary with better ADS accuracy but worse hipfire.

If I had to recommend one, I'd say go with Bandit if you spend your time in CQC and Razor if you do more ranged stuff.
  6. Newlife1025

I have a blackhand so its a bandit
  7. The Shady Engineer

Good choice. Bandit is my favorite NC carbine. Hell, it's my favorite carbine in the game, period.

Soft point ammo is mandatory, optic selection and whether or not you use a flash suppressor is up to you but I wouldn't go higher than a 1x red dot. As for underbarrel attachment, I'd say go with the grip. The Bandit benefits a lot from the advanced laser but like all 0.75x ADS weapons in the game, it benefits more from a grip in my opinion.

Speaking of 0.75x ADS, abuse the bejesus out of it. ADAD dance every gunfight you get into, clear corners while ADSing etc. Most people in the game are used to their opponents strafing at 0.5x ADS or 0.25 if it's a heavy with overshields so the faster movement speed will throw their aim off and effectively increases your health. That's not to say hipfire is bad. Bandit actually comes with very good hip accuracy stock, so shooting the baddies from the hip is very viable when fights get too chaotic to ADS.

Recoil wise the Bandit is basically a Merc with 10% extra vertical kick. In field conditions you won't notice it. Same thing for bursting your shots, burst your Bandit as if it was a Merc and you'll be fine. Ranged combat is a bit more tricky since the Bandit drops 3 damage tiers but from what I noticed, at ranges the Bandit becomes inaccurate and/or the lower ranged damage model comes into play, the Merc doesn't have the accuracy to land those shots either.

Biggest draw back of the Bandit is the longer reload speed. So make sure you reload after every kill or two or get used to pulling out your trusted side arm when your Bandit magazine runs dry.
    • Up x 1