Lighting HEAT does more DPS than Lighting AP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pug01, May 7, 2018.

1. Pug01

So some numbers for this:
    The AP Stats:
    Direct Damage: 650
    Indirect Damage: 500
    Reload time: 3 sec
    With Reload Speed 5 reload time: 2.7 sec

HEAT Stats:
    Direct Damage: 525
    Indirect Damage: 500
    Reload time: 2 sec
    With Reload Speed 5 reload time: 1.8 sec

Now the DPS calculations is done by dividing the Direct Damage by the fastest reload speed:
    For the AP: 650 / 2.7 sec = 240.7 damage per second.
    For the HEAT: 525 / 1.8 sec = 291.6 damage per second.

For Indirect Damage:
    For the AP: 500 / 2.7 sec = 185.1 damage per second.
    For the HEAT: 500 / 1.8 sec = 277.7 damage per second.

I always thought the AP rounds had more "armor piercing" effect, but if this is the case, it isn't doing much to offset the DPS difference. Went head to head with a HEAT Lighting and he seemed very confident. We both used Fire Suppression (mine max and his level 2), and every shot of mine landed and everyone of his. Our first shots were fired at exactly the same time. And I lost hands down.
    Did another test soon after without Fire Suppression and the HEAT Lighting just barely survived, while the AP lightning died. It is as if both guns are on par with damage but if you add Fire Suppression then the HEAT lightning gains even more time to do the higher DPS and will win.
    For now the Lightning HEAT is a superior gun to the Lightning AP. I have to say I am truly baffled.

Comparing the Lighting to the Vanguard and the Vanguard AP and HEAT have the same reload speed.

It would be great if other people can do some tests to see if my findings are accurate.
    • Up x 1
  2. Coliax

The only reason to take HEAT over AP is because you have bad aim and Need that higher dps. But yeah it's correct hat HEAT have a higher dps. Nevertheless if you want to kill something you Need AP + stealth so that you can sneak behind MBT's to get the first shot on ther backside

And trust me, i use HEAT (in the rare Moment that i drive a tank) and i always loose against an AP sniper
    • Up x 1
  3. Sazukata

If you simply trade shells face-to-face, then yeah HEAT has more DPS. But AP gains the advantage with distance and low exposure, which is how tank vs tank often goes.
    • Up x 1
  4. typnct

Dps depends on the first shot
    So the correct formula is
    X*dmg/(x-1)*(reload+delay)(if exist)
    X>1
    X=number of shot
    First shot doesnt have any reload therefor x-1

Heat is better for overhilling and for frontal attack
    Ap is better for kiting and shooting at moving targets with less drop

Heat is diverse and might make you miss at longer distances
    Ap is anti tank and focused on vehicle combat
  5. Demigan

You didnt factor in damage resistances (on a Phone the table doesnt show completely):
    http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Vehicle_armor_and_damage_resistance

Also, when using cover an AP gun can circumvent the higher DPS. Dont forget that no one is godly accurate, and the highest velocity makes the AP the most accurate and reduces the shell drop per m distance. This does give AP a reason to be.
  6. LodeTria

• Up x 1
  7. Pug01

Just to clarify a few points on the tests: The lightnings were facing each other hitting the front of each tank. The first shot was synchronized to make sure that there was an even start. At close range the HEAT always won. If both tanks used Fire Suppression then the HEAT lightning won by a clear margin.

AP does have a higher muzzle velocity giving it an advantage at range with hitting a target, but not DPS.

If you are sneaking up behind MBT's then the higher DPS gun might do a lot better, if you can stay on their back side. I can see how there might be an advantage with the first hit being the hardest hit before they turn.

I think the AP advantage is very slight and very situational. The flats of Indar and Esamir might see the AP have some edge with distances. But I quite often find fighting close to bases that things often get close and personal.

Just for the sake of comparison I will list the muzzle velocities of some of the guns:
    Lightning HEAT: 200 m/s
    Lightning AP: 250 m/s
    Halbert: 275 m/s.
    Vanguard the AP: 275 m/s
    Vanguard HESH: 225 m/s

At close range the 200 vs 250 won't do much of a difference. At long range it depends on if you are trying to hit a moving target. The best feature I found of the Lightning AP is that it is easier to hit ESF. But the HEAT has the advantage of splash damage, that can be great for large groups of infantry. I think the HEAT is a better all around gun and the AP is very situation specific. You can always use cover to lure AP lightnings closer.
  8. Pacster3

I think the difference is too small to really matter. Maybe in 1 out of several 100 fights. Usually tank fight are won by:
    -first shot
    -fewer missed shots
    -getting shots at weaker parts of the opponent tank
    -reload time

Given the choice I would go with HEAT due to splash...cause I find myself fighting infantry more commonly than I get a chance to shoot down ESF or fight tanks at really long distances(shelling from the horizon just ain't my cup of tea). ;-)
    But let's not forget that the basic Viper does a pretty good job too if you can aim.
    • Up x 1
  9. Fishpoke

Which one has a better chance of connecting with moving targets? AP ends up hitting more than heat because it has greater projectile speed and less drop, overall DPS will be more because you hit more. Accuracy > everything else.
  10. Who Garou

Yes. that's it.

The HEAT is for close up, and it gets wild at range.
    The AP is for range attacks, but reloads slower.

The Viper is pretty devastating at close ranges, but the shells fly like a shotgun pattern and diverge quite a bit as range increase.

It's always a hand off for how you are going use the equipment and what you encounter once you pull it.

11. JibbaJabba

HEAT is the best Lightning -vs- lightning "knife fight" weapon.

Viper has highest damage but requires landing all shots.
    AP has higher alpha, but the penalty for a single miss can be a lost 1:1 fight.

HEAT is also the best for "go kill that single spawn point" then discard lightning.

I'm a fan.
    • Up x 1
  12. adamts01

I actually love tank gun balance, on the lightning at least. Every gun inches towards their specualty with none being a universally best choice. I do think MBTs need a little buff to catch up to lightning dps though. The Mag HESH is especially hurting, though I do agree with its splash nerf.
  13. LodeTria

what a bizarre paragraph. You think tank gun balance is good but you also think that the magrider should have a worse hesh for no reason and agree to keeping it that way.
  14. adamts01

Holy **** you can't read. Look back at my entire sentence.
    ON THE LIGHTNING AT LEAST.

This thread and the other. Slow down and read everything before you start complaining.
    • Up x 1
  15. LodeTria

You love HESH > All tank balance.
    There is no need to read anything beyond that, which is relevant on both the lightning and MBT anyway. You also think the magrider should be worse for reasons you fail to explain. I bet it has something to do with hills though, a common argument from people who have been killed by magriders, not driven them.
  16. JibbaJabba

Don't jump Adam too much. He's a moderate guy(girl?) and if something he wrote comes off extreme it might be read incorrectly.

The MAG Hesh nerf... mmm, it kinda sucks. I just can't think of any better solution.

It's not that the mag is better at AI than the other tanks, it's just that the mag is a real ***** to hit when playing as infantry. Net result is the mag turns into an infantry slayer. Nerfing it's HESH helps fix the numbers behind this problem but doesn't really fix the gameplay issue behind the problem. Now we have frustrated infantry AND frustrated Mag drivers.
  17. adamts01

I've bought every tank gun but I usually run AP on my Mag and Vanguard, as the lightning does HESH so much better. And yes, I agree with the Mag HESH nerf because of hills. I sometimes run a HESH with a PPA but normally just snipe with AP. I still prefer the Vanguard for pure armor fights, but overall the Mag is my favorite to drive, mostly due to its survivability in this infantryside and cloaked deci/fury flash meta. I really do make an effort to try everything on every faction before ranting on here. As for the Mag HESH, it does need a tiny buff to make up for not OHKing infantry. Maybe less gravity and more velocity? But yeah, that gun was OP as **** on hills.
    • Up x 1
  18. Halkesh

19. Demigan