Light Assualt and The Pump Action

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by commandoFi, Mar 2, 2013.

1. commandoFi

In a lot of ways the pump action shotgun seems to work well with the light assault. The OHK potential makes it devastating in CQB when you have surprise on your side. The reloading mechanism also favors hit and run, as you can get a shot or two off and then refill. These are just my initial thoughts, feel free to share ideas, experiences, and comparisons to the other shotguns.
  2. ladiesop

I found it a lot of fun when trialling. I might get it a bit later in the releases.

If you're caught offguard, if you don't hit with your first hit you're in a lot more trouble than the semi/auto shotguns.
  3. Ghoest

Yes this thing is CQC LA heaven.

It has a longer effective range the existing shotguns.

It does way more damage up close.

It shoots essentially just as fast as existing semi-autos.

A one shot kill with the original shotguns was rare - in the 10 or so engagements I had while testing the new gun I had 3 or 4 one shot kills.
  4. UnDeaD_CyBorG

I bought it, just for the great feel of it.
    It's insanely powerful.
    However, I certainly found the Autoshotgun more reliable, and would use that if it wasn't for the low ammo; 2 reloads just doesn't do it for LA.
  5. Achmed20

Feels about the same as the mauler
    its slights slower then before semi autos have been before the patch i believe. but i think semi autoshave been buffed cause it feels like the mauler shoots faster now (pump 120 RPM vs semi 250 RPM vs auto 300 RPM)
  6. AccelPrime

PA shotties shoot at 120 rpm, while semi-autos shoot at 250, that's less than half the speed. That's, atleast not in mine and any other sane persons mind, "essentially" just as fast.

I'm not too sure about the range, seems pretty much the same as any other shotgun.
  7. Kulantan

This isn't true at all. The semis are 250 RPM and the pumps are 120 RPM, half the fire rate of the semis. If you are firing them at the same speed then you aren't getting the most out of you semi.

This is reflected in the DPS of each gun:
    Pump: 2860
    Semi: 3575
    Auto: 4290

The pump only has a alpha strike advantage against the others. It also may have a real world dps advantage due to slow click speeds and a small window of opportunity because people run around like headless chooks in close combat.
  8. LibertyRevolution

I trialed the pump. I'm going to stick with my piston.

Pump was cool, drop in on some poor guy, 1 shot to the body, fly away...
    But when it came time to take out that Eng, then pump a few rounds into that maxes head, the pump got me dead :/

So, I think its great for killing that 1 guy on the point, but jumping into a room full of guys.. piston all the way.
  9. Ghoest

I know the stats.
    And in practice it makes almost no difference.

And it does have more range. Maybe the pattern is the same as a mauler(the old tightest pattern) maybe its tighter - but it also has way more pellets of course the end result is you can kill at a long range.

As for the comparing it to the piston.
    The piston with an extended mag has 10 shot the punp has 7 - 7 that do way more damage.

Its reasonable that you are personally better with an auto - but the new gun easily has the same killing power as the piston.
  10. SinerAthin

It's OP as hell in 1vs1 CQC duels.

Sucks at everything else.

I have come to call it a Pump-Troll, because it serves no real tactical or strategical purpose other than to piss one poor sod off :p
  11. Nyldar

I really like the thing, especially with slugs.
    It feels like you can actually use slugs without sacrificing CQC effectiveness as severely as with the other shotguns.
  12. Zmann966

I'm interested in this weapon because of the Slug option, There's no damage reduction when Slugging this one right? still does the 143x10 but in one shot? That seems like my kind of weapon...
  13. Nyldar

If I recall correctly you need three body hits with slugs on the old shotguns.

I havent done any experiments but its two regular hits with the new ones to get a kill.
    Even shielded HAs seemed to take only two hits.

Which is pretty ok, since without slugs, one-hit-kills only work up close and even then.... you might need two shots anyway.
    I'm not sure if heatshots can still one-hit-kill and if that only works on certain classes/loadouts.
    It certainly felt like you could OHK people with headshots but I have no clue what health they were to begin with.

The main downside to slugs is that you have to aim carefully and will probably miss while hipfiring and jetpacking around.

I never got slugs to work on the old shotguns, but with the Uppercut its pretty effective for me.
  14. LibertyRevolution

Its all about play style.. I can't use the pump like I do the auto.
    I play an in your face spray everything till I'm out of ammo type of way...

Jump into a room with 3 enemies, hold mouse 1 and spin in a circle, kill 3 guys with my piston..
    Jump into a room with 3 enemies, aim and fire at them 1 at a time with a pump.. I get dead by that 3rd guy..

It is the time between shots fired, the ROF, that is what gets me dead with the Pump.
    Same as the AC-X11, if you miss, your dead, same reason I prefer the GD-7F... spray and pray.

Anyways, the guys I killed with the pump during my trial are the same guys I would 1 shot with my piston then finish with the knife.
    You know that poor guy at the point looking at the wrong door..
  15. Badname3073

Pump action has more potential in close quarters, simply because its TTK is zero. The half-second refire time is more or less offset by the time needed to point the targeting reticle at the next enemy (for me, at least), so it is not a problem at all. Today I had killstreaks one-shotting 3-4 people within a couple of seconds, no other infantry weapon can do it that fast, AFAIK.
  16. Zmann966

Yeah, on my Nova it's 3body/2head to kill a HA with Slug. Thats at 143x6. If the Pump can deal all 143x10 in it's slug... I may be a very happy man.

(Also, I don't play Light Assault too much, the shotgun/slug is my primary loadout on my Engineer. Most of my engagements are mid-range with a wonderful little ammo box next to me and the Slug is a BEAST in that situation. ADS makes up 95% of my shots fired, hip being only the "come around a corner SHIIIT" situation, lol)
  17. Navoletti

munition slug is broken for pandora?is recomended?
  18. Wolfwood82

I love the Uppercut. It's my new favorite shotgun, haven't even needed extended mag on it.
  19. Iridar51

I trialed all the new shotguns, and I liked TR version the most. NC version looked cool, but had funky animations when shooting and reloading. I love how they played out VS shotty reloading animation.

I like the new weapon, but only for *boom* - *shick-shick*, *boom* - *shick-shick* romanticism. Uppercut does this the best.
    I also tend to like slow, hard-hitting weapons, that's why I'm looking forward to the time whtn they add the revolver.

Seems to me that SOE really steps on this *trade-off* trend of theirs. There are no better weapons, only trade offs.
    There are no better attachments, only trade offs.

You can have one shot weapon, but you're most likely dead if you miss and it's effective only up to 5-10 meters.
    You can have shotgun with TTK 0.00001 seconds longer, but it'll have slightly more ammo and shoot very faste (auto shotgun).
    You can have shotgun with TTK 0.00002 seconds longer, and it'll have even more ammo.

Or you can have an SMG, shoots a little further, but even longer TTK.
    Or take an old-school carbine and kill by 0.000003 secons longer, but you can shoot up to 100 meters. Yippie!
    No better weapons, increase in any stat costs a decrease in another stat.

Everyone can pick a weapon suitable for their needs. Not sure if.... happy end?
  20. Duban

Where's the love for the barrage? I love the tight spread of the shotgun :-(...