[Suggestion] Light Assault UnderPowered

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Blackhart02012, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Blackhart02012

ENGINEER vs LIGHT ASSAULT
    I feel that the two unbalanced classes in Planetside 2, are the Light Assault and the Engineer, I feel like the Engineer is pretty overpowered, and the Light Assault is woefully underpowered. They both share the same gun, so the comparison won't be hard. ENGINEER: Carbine, Pistol, Grenade, Turret, Repair Tool, Ammo Packs. LIGHT ASSAULT: Carbine, Pistol, Grenade, Jet Pack. Kinda obvious who has much much more. My fix for this, give Light Assault ammo packs. I really think that's all that makes Engineer overpowered.

The role of the Engineer should be repair and team play. They are meant to be the defensive backbone of the team. They can repair all the vehicles, destroyed generators, terminals, maxes, etc... that is their role. They fight with the team and keep them fighting. They have the turret, again as a defense. They are meant to sit back, lock down the fort, and push up with the armor to keep the fight alive. Then you give them ammo too? That makes them the hero of absolutely everyone on the field. The infantry, the armor, everyone needs him. He can get so many points by dropping ammo in a crowd and doing repairing runs. Too much.

The role of the Light Assault, in my eyes anyway, is as a point-man, and a saboteur. He is the nimble one with the jet packs. He is on the front lines taking the fight to the enemy, and leaping base walls to take down the enemies shields and let your team storm the base. This means he is going to spend a lot of time going "lone wolf" without ammo. And considering how little ammo you get, he needs it the most. It's silly to expect the front line man, inside enemy territory trying to help get your team inside, to have to run ALL the way back to the base to get ammo or jump the walls again to find the nearest Engi. Give Light Assault the ammo. They are the front line men, and ammo will also promote them to play with the team more with the incentive to rack up points dropping ammo in crowds.
  2. Believer

...which is pretty boring.

I say give the double C4 to the infiltrator, and the rest to the medic, and remove the engineer class entirely, if anything.
  3. Sworaven

You clearly do not play Infiltrator.

The Infiltrator is supposed to be the saboteur, not the LA. Both Engineer and Light Assault classes are perfectly fine at what they're supposed to do. If you give the LA an ammo-pack, you might as well give every class an ammo-pack. It just doesn't make any sense.

It's clear you just want to be able to lonewolf without having to rely on the Engineers for ammo.

Bad suggestion.
    • Up x 9
  4. Cinc

Ammo is the only thing that stops us from being complete and utter gods at this game.

Give us ammo packs, and i will finally start to pity the poor, ground-based fools.
  5. gunfox

I still think the LA should have been the main attack unit of this game, from the designers idea. Things like the name (assault!) and general base layout point heavily towards it, with the HA giving the LA swarm suppressive fire and protection against Vehicles. Turns out they made the HA too strong and gave the LA too little tools, and now everyone sees the HA as the main Infantry unit (and the LA as what the Infiltrator should have been, with a battle rifle of course).
  6. Blackhart02012

It's got nothing to do with simply wanting to lone wolf with a class, and I have played Infiltrator. Because of the slower firing weapons, there is more precision and less ability to truly assault with that class unless you are HIGHLY skilled. The Light Assault has the Jet Packs. He is made to get in unexpected places, and outflank the enemy. You run up to a tech facility or an amp station, they're the ones jumping walls and going around the where the enemy isn't looking to arm and effectively hold a position until the cavalry can come in. The ammo is meant to work two fold. 1) to promote the class with the least going for it 2) to promote teamwork by becoming a class more people rely upon instead of the odd man hiding in the rooftops.

The engineer gets so much going for it already with the Carbine, the turret, and the repair tool. He is already a team player with those alone. He is really the last class that needs something extra to be MORE relied upon. And all the other classes have something really powerful about them. The medics can heal and revive, carrying a team from death to victory. The Engineers have the turrets and repair tools making them the king of defense and vehicle charges. The heavy assault has the shields and the rocket, making him the hard hitting "Tank" soldier. And if you gave the Infiltrator the ammo, that would only serve to promote snipers going off into the hills trying to make mile-far snipes without working with their team.

All I'm saying is, the Engineer has A LOT of good things about it, and the ammo puts it kinda over the top. all the other classes would also be OP if you gave them the engi's ammo. The only class that feels weak compared to the others and won't become too powerful with ammo, is the Light Assault.
  7. DuckSauce

As I'm told, long ago -- in the days of early beta or maybe even tech test -- light assault used to have ammo packs. Then it was removed and given to engineer for obvious reasons that OP seems to have missed.

Light assault needs more team utility, sure. But it's pretty damn utile to simultaneously clear a building from the ground-floor stairs and the top-floor stairs.
  8. Bitter_one13

Here's a couple of my suggestions to make people want to be LA

1. Give LAs scout rifles. It's a weapon you sacrifice CQB to utilize, but get range on par with the other classes; LAs are desperately lacking on range anyways.

2. Idea for a new tool: Air-strike indicator laser. Make LAs the class air raids need to be successful, the boots on the ground to give pilots a real tactical picture of what actually needs to die. It wouldn't be terribly difficult to program; it'd be pretty similar to squad waypoint, just showing up as a crosshair for anyone who has a pilot/gunner. It's usually either the infiltrator or the LA who is actually getting intel on the other side at range, why not give the LA some teeth while they're out there? It still forces the LA to rely on teamwork too.

3. Bump the C4 cost down to about 75 infantry, or enable a third stack option. You can badly hurt sunderers with 2, even kill them if they have armor. You can either make it less painful to do a C4 run, or make it even more painful but have more guaranteed results.
  9. TheArchetype

Why does this post look familiar..?
  10. Wobberjockey

are you KIDDING ME?

if you gave LA's scout or battle rifles i would NEVER play inf again.

there would be no point.

they would have accurate shooting capabilities at range, superior mobility, and a way to deal with enemy armor.

i would trade my hunter cloak for that in a heartbeat
  11. Barosar

Take lessons from this guy

12. Blackhand

So you want to give a class that can get up in trees or atop locations unreachable by any other class to also have almost unlimited ammo?

Light Assault is an Assault class. They can kill Infantry,combat vehicles and turrets. They do their job very well and they can infiltrate better than infiltrators.

If you want to be a support class, be an Engineer or a Medic.
  13. Bitter_one13

But infiltrator's point is, at least in theory, move around undetected and hit with overwhelming force in little danger.

When LA switches over to a scout rifle, they'll lose any reasonable hope of engaging at ranges shorter than 50 feet; they'll just be quick-drawn. When LAs are being out-ranged by medics and engies, there might be a slight issue at hand.

Plus, sniper rifles always will out-class scouts in terms of range and even with two stacks of C4 there's an overwhelming chance you'll not kill your target. You can be, at most, 2 meters away from armor horizontally when placing C4; that's a way of dealing with armor the same way knives are a way of dealing with MAXes.
  14. Wobberjockey

here's the thing. i can stay more undetected with the vertical mobilitity afforded me by the jetpack than i ever could with the cloak.

people rarely look up, and the mobility allows you to attack from otherwise unexpected angles.

the cloak? well it looks like a glass statue, you show up like a neon sign under IRNV/IR optics, and i have to take the same doors spammed to oblivion and back as every other class, including max suits.

the cloak as is is only good for sniping at long ranges. for infiltration, or any movement in CQB, it's utter trash, and is often more of a hindrance than an asset (due to the uncloak sound)

plus, C4 affects sundies. infiltrators? nada
  15. Bitter_one13

That vertical mobility comes at the price of not being able to hit very much accurately. You can maybe get two or three hits unexpectedly, but the guy you're shooting at will be able to respond immediately with many more accurate bullets.

As for your cloaking issues, that sounds more like a balance issue for infs than anything and can't really be addressed with my proposed LA improvements. The type who plays inf generally likes sneaking around and hacking terminals so switching over to the class that's Tribes Lite would probably be jarring; the player skills utilized in inf is pretty different from LA so I don't think there would be any kind of mass inf to LA exodus with improvement suggestions.
  16. Wobberjockey

my point is that people don't look up. i don't need to beable to shoot while flying.
    shooting from rooftops or unexpected ledges is enough.

my point is, the only thing that keeps me from playing LA more often is their lack of a hard hitting ranged option. i think many others feel that way as well
  17. MadRon101

I think a less effective repair/ hacking tool to cert into for LA would be a good compromise.

First thing I thought of when I read ammo box and LA was under slung 'nade launcher and roof/ dome/ tower/ tree top.

Too powerful.
  18. Grimtou

Are you guys kidding me? Light assault has crazy amounts of team utility in that you can flank a choke point and clear a areas that would otherwise be a giant meat grinder.

The ammo situation is easily solved by better management(don't shoot unless you can get a kill) and scavenging off ammo packs from enemy engineers.

The only reason light assault seems "weak" is that there aren't any organized squads that specialize in light assaults and move in coordinated groups whereas medics, engineers and HA naturally organize because they are forced to move in the same direction.
    • Up x 1
  19. Pat22

This guy gets the idea. I'm constantly looking for a few Light Assaults I could run with because just two or three of us could be crazy effective. Three light assaults with a Grenadier loadout ( that's grenade bandolier and underslung launcher ) could flank and anihilate an entire enemy front line in seconds, then blow up the sunderer keeping that front line alive.

Light Assaults are the bad@sses in this game, and while I agree the Engineer has a ton of toys, taking them from engies and giving them to LAs is not the way to go.
  20. Iridar51

If LA has ammo packs, then where will the rest of the infantry get ammo? All LA's are in enemy base, remember?
    Also, if you lack on ammo so much, perhaps you should invest into that ammo belt.
    Or stop spraying. it 10-15 bullets per kill. You got six clips with 30 ammo each. As an LA, you got killing power of 12 people with carbine alone. If that doesn't seem much to you, well, go **** yourself.
    This is a troll thread anyway. OP's idea is ********.