[Suggestion] Light Assault Tools And Abilities + General Stuff

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Ghostloadout, May 23, 2013.

1. Ghostloadout

With the unscheduled LA update, obviously SOE needs our opinion. No dual wielding. *Pop*

Number 1 - I was thinking, what if we had some sort of climbing tool that allowed us to anchor to a certain area and stay there while our JJs recharged, something that would reduce the amount of QQ coming from drifters not being able to climb straight up. This "anchor" would also allow us to slowly climb up areas and spooderman around, including vehicles (Galaxy surfing anyone). I guess this would be a compulsory "F-key" ability. The device would also remove falling damage, as for a name I'd call it the "Ascent Gear" like the gloves from Ghost Protocol. This is purely a luxury item, so we don't have to exploit the wallwalking glitches. Also, I want it to sneak around like a skulk in natural selection and hiss at enemy MAXes.

Number 2 - I've completely scrapped my first idea of the "pile driver" and replaced it with remote explosives tool slots. Basically the default one is just like C4, but with 5 levels level 1/1 charge level 2/2 level 3/3 level 4/4 and level five allows it to be resupplied at ammo packs. These would basically be re-skined to look more like the empires using them. Now, the other type is more intended for AV purposes, it's a single charge that can have it's damage upgraded by levels instead of gaining charges. Level 1=1 C4 explosion, Level 2=2 C4, Level 3=3 C4, Level 4=4 C4, Level 5 allows it to be resupplied at ammo packs. These charges have no res cost at level 5.

Number 3 - Smoke grenades, without them you're accused of not being credit to team, with them, you run out of them and you're not credit to team yet again. This is purely for demonstrative purposes, stating that so I don't offend anyone. Here's the proposed change, make smoke grenades have 5 levels and progress with more smoke grenades. 4 smokes max, then at level 5 they lose res cost and become resuppliable at ammo packs. Make smoke grenades impact detonation SOE, please you owe it to the LAs.

Number 4 - We always find ourselves short of ammo, how about the ability to see enemy ammo packs on your minimap. This passive slot ability would allow us to find ammo packs whenever we needed them. Also ammo packs would be changed to empire colors on the minimap. At max level this would be able to see ammo pack from 500m away and as an added bonus would allow LAs to instantly restore 100% of reserve ammo. Currently you can only see your allies ammo packs on the minimap. This would give away the position of enemies, so I could see possible issues coming out of this, not like it really matters though with the zerg mentality of the game.

Number 5 - Due to common OP, I've changed this idea to something more reasonable. Give LAs their spawn beacons back, even if they are not squad leader and allow additional certifications to lower to cooldown all the way to 1 minute instead of 2. Spawn beacon spam, maybe, but it would also create an entire new type of spec ops warfare, also this would give back LAs the squad support tool everyone is wanting. LAs would be able to use nearly all of their command abilities without being a squad leader, such as rally smokes. The beacon would be a res free 5 minute cooldown utility.

What do you guys think, are any of these ideas simply silly, or are some of them good?
    • Up x 4
  2. Kogmaw

1) Interesting idea, and im certainly not against it. I think it could be really awesome and fun
    2) I can hear the lamentations of the tank drivers now, im going to say no on this one
    3) i do love my smoke nades. I had an idea where LA could carry both regular and explosive grenades and switch between the two
    4) it would be a nice ability, but of the suggested, i think it is the least necessary. nothing a bit of running around couldnt fix
    5) im going to have to say no here as well. It feels like it could be OP, even with the small 5% increments.

an alternative suggestion i think would really tie in the LA as a squad member would be a pair of binoculars: You would select them like you would a gun. Once it is in your hands, you zoom in (as you would a scope) and once you are in the view mode, you can press the "fire" button, and it would mass-spot any enemies within your view.

Perhaps even further certed levels would allow a list of the enemies you had spotted, allowing more information for your team

LVL1 (default): you can only spot en mass
    LVL2 (500): after spotting, you get a number of enemies on your side HUD
    LVL3 (1000): after spotting, you get a list of enemy's classes & the number in each
  3. Flukeman62

number 5 could be incorporated as the 2nd rank of the adrenaline rush cert
  4. hello1

1 good
    2 you allready have c4
    3 ok
    4 maybe
    5 ok
  5. Wolfwood82

1. Already been suggested and isn't needed, there are bugs already in game that allow you to cling to any surface that has a slight slope. Bugs that aren't likely going to be fixed soon (watch SOE prove me wrong, they always do).
    2. Absolutely not.
    3. The hell? I've never been told I wasn't a credit to my team. And no, too easily exploitable. I've smoked out entire towers with Engineer and UB Smoke.
    4. I believe this is already in game. Ammo packs are ammo packs and are not empire specific I don't believe.
    5. No, not even if it uses a suit slot to use. That's what med packs are for, and why they use the same slot as C4.
  6. Joe_da_cro

1. not needed
    2. c4 already does this. unless new ability costs resources to spawn then ok.
    3. engineers can do this already. no point in over lapping.
    4. pretty good idea. issue with this idea is that it shows you where the enemy is without actually doing any scouting so there might be balance issues
    5. as cool as the idea is i think its abit too op. i think the whole purpose is to rely on others. this makes LA rely on no one and exacerbates the problem of some LAs only lone wolfing. a compromise could be a suit ability which works like fire suppresion on vehicles which when your life is red it takes you up to green but not full health.

additional ideas

1. increase speed of drifters forward momentum. also giving them a slight vertical advantage over normal jumping so that they can be used in cqc.

2. ability which allows JJ to consume their fuel supply and jump up to height fast (like in trailer clip) so that LA can be used to bomb hovering air targets. although recharge will need to be adjusted so that the LA will gain enough fuel to slow decent near landing again.

3. combining current DJ and JJ into one ability and giving a potential 30 sec JJ time. f key gives you forward thrust and space gives you upward.

4. nanite jamming device - works like a recon dart but what it does it jams heals, revives, ammo dispensing, repairs in its area. the is obviously a tool slot for the LA. first ranks will stop ammo. second rank stops ammo and heals. third rank etc.

5 . spawn jamming device - used on sunderers. this allows LA to turn off ams devices on sundies. the counter would be an engineer repairing the sunderer. This is would be a tool slot device (this might be more suited to an infiltrator though)

6. portable grav pad deployment - works like a mine. it is a utility meaning it would replace c4. you put it down and allows friendlies to be able to grav lift. height should be limited to the equivalent of amp station walls.

7. new cof bloom while using jump jets. (if there is no change to jump jets or drifters) as it stands we are a easy target in the air so having a tighter cof bloom would help us retaliate. or by minimum allow use to use a scope of choice without scope wobble when jumping. this would apply to all classes who use grav jumps and pads as well.

these are some ideas i can think of. its obvious that not all of these would be wise to be implemented together. these are just ideas as individual ideas. so each should be weight as a individual change.
  7. TheArchetype

I don't think it should be fixed. It's kind of become an integral gameplay mechanic for LAs. If the remove it they better add an ability to cling as a cert.
  8. Wolfwood82

Whether or not it's an integral part of game play isn't going to be factored in. C4 was a bug/oversight that they decided to fix months after beta.

The question is whether or not it impacts the game negatively. In order for it to become "integral" it would have to exist in the game for years and be so vital to players that everyone uses it. It's got a pretty weak foothold on the game but it's minor enough to be ignored.
  9. simon11russell

1. I don't play with drifters much so no comment.

2. This sounds like it needs to be an entirely separate type of jet pack not an addition to the current ones as that is what LA really needs a larger selection of gear for a variety of situations.

3. No these things are separate for a reason. You need to decide what is best for your current situation and equip accordingly. there should not be a single good all-round JJ.

4. This would be a great thing there's nothing more annoying than a single medic undoing all your hard work and it would also give LA's a good role in a team keeping the enemy dead. but it would need to also affect friendlies to stop it just being spammed.

5. This would be super OP for La's to have and really doesn't fit the classes role. maybe for the infil yea but it would have to be a get close and hold E for a while type ability as it would be super powerful.

6. I've seen this idea before and its still just as terrible. For this to be useful it would have to allow people to get over fortification walls and would therefore have to go high enough to allow this and as many of the other buildings in this game have lower roofs it would allow access to all of them too. basically relegating LA's to the guys who place the device to allow the other classes to get onto the roofs to fight as there all better equipped for fighting than we are.

7. I don't know about this one the whole reason that the bloom is so bad is to stop LA's from dominating all infantry though strafing runs. But also if you get caught in flight currently you are a sitting duck so maybe it does need a change but definitely not as severely as you suggested.
  10. Ghostloadout

My intended direction for the number 1 was to allow LAs to stick to ceilings, vertical walls and unfavorable slopes, while also being able to stick to vehicles and essentially, "surf" on top of them, allowing LAs to better stick with their team and also, with a very high skill ceiling, allow them to engage air vehicles. This slot would still allow you to shoot while clinging on the surface and not moving, but at reduced accuracy, this goes for other weapons like C4. So I can sneak around like a skulk from NS2.
    • Up x 1
  11. Joe_da_cro

further thoughts

1. I used to use DJ exclusively until i became more of a CQC type of guy and drifters in any ground combat is not useful.

2. yeah i think a new type of JJ would be needed for this idea as well.

3. nothing to really add it was just a quick idea and when i thought about it more realised it would be too unbalanced. the only way to really balance it if SOE was able to implement fuel consumption based on height. and as you get higher more fuel is used.

4. totally agree it should affect friendlies. only downfall with this would be griefers using this to mess up defenses. maybe have the aoe affect pretty small so that its radius is about 5 meters max i.e enough to block a tank repair or that pesky max from being revived.

5. yeah i think too op for LA cos we can fly better suited to infiltrators.

6. well this would be a utility option that helps out your team. it wont negate the usefulness of LA because those infantry rely on you to place them. if you carry one that means you have to go back and forth refilling and using infantry points. the idea with this is allowing regular infantry to get to a spot e.g. amp station wall without having to run around. the main reason why the LA is powerful is their mobility not because they can jump on one roof and stay there. if a LA can infer part of their movability to other squad mates this adds enormous team play potential.

7. there was no suggestion made on severity. just an undisclosed tightening of the cof bloom and also applying that to all classes when they use a jump pad and grav pad. No scope wobble doesn't mean it still has no cof ;)
  12. TomDRV