Light Assault: The Question

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Corezer, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Pfundi

Sure its going to be awesome, but I doubt it could ever look cool. More like some kind of dont know... Team Fortress weapon.
  2. TheMercator

Why should'nt it look just like a regular MGL from real life. You know a big fat drum magazine and a short barrel.
    I hope it will be more than a shotgun, that shoots super slow slugs, that have negligible splash damage.
    BTW, in the case they will be faction specific I totally need a shotgun grenade launcher to complete my shotgun loadout.
  3. consciousvillan

i think, as im sure others have mentioned, the ability to actually fire with some degree of accuracy while using the jump jet would solve the problem for me.
    imagine two squads of la fighting it out in the while leaping from different levels of facility's. i play la a bit when we are breaching defenses as i dont have c4 unlocked yet but once im inside and its mass close fire fights i switch to medic as even the stock TR AR is more versatile for me. the ability to add fire, even if... say 30% less accurate while in the air would really bring the most out of the class
  4. Pfundi

Than the name wouldnt be Rocket Rifle?
    But when its a Grenade Launcher. Everything is good.
  5. TheMercator

I really dont like the idea of a rocklet rifle as a multi-shot rocketlauncher, that does low damage to vehicles. Why? Because in this game as soon as you get the attention of a vehicle for example by shooting at it you are as good as dead.
  6. Alan Kalane

1) Nerfed, worse C4. 1 still doesn't kill a tank, can't be manually detonated, has a timer and can be disarmed...You must really hate C4 bro.
    2)IDK it's nothing really unique, just a weaker frag that bounces less.
    3)Sux on LA, LAs hit once but hit hard, and once they're done they switch positions and strike again. How does that fit the LA playstyle? This fits an engi or a medic better.And I'd NEVER trade a frag or a flash nade for this thing...
    4) Could go, but then tank drivers are gonnah whine about C4 faries getting a buff
    5)A buffed version of the UBGL that doesn't require the user to have an S carbine, since it only gives one additional round... No thanks, the UBGL era is long past...

It's really hard to find something LA specific other than jetpack... But since it's a mobility class there's one idea that comes to my mind:
    -Adrenaline shot:
    Can be placed in the utility slot (so no C4, sorry) and upon use allows the LA to sprint much faster (just not fast enough to create a hitbox desync) and allows for a faster reload and weapon switching as well as gives a slow, weak health
    regeneration (5% per second?) and 20% decrased hipfire CoF for the duration
  7. Iridar51

Why? It's okay for HA to fire rocket after rocket with impunity, but a weaker, short range version of this that actually requires skill to aim and has arming distance is a no-no? Seems quite hypocritical to me.
  8. Alan Kalane

Because it's going to be either:
    a) OP as hell and nerfed to the ground like ZoE (or like UBGL actually) cause it's a straight buff to the LA class with no trade-offs.you basically get a free UBGL on every weapon and not only the S variant. I believe there's a reason behind being unable to equip an UBGL on anything other than an S weapon which is in most cases just a worse version of the default gun.Also if you could still have rail attachments like the laser sight then it's totally OP.
    or:
    b) As useless as the spiker. SoE may be afraid of making it OP so they may relase it completely broken just in case. Like set the grenade speed to 10m/s and make it shoot in a random direction...OR (that's the worst option) they could make it a chargeup OMG plz NO.
  9. Iridar51

Useless or OP logic can be applied to ANYTHING in the game.
    You seemed to completely missed what I asked, so I'll repeat: why having a rocket launcher for HA is okay, but having a severely weaker weapon on LA is OP?
  10. Alan Kalane

Why having a jetpack on LA is okay, but having a severely weaker jetpack on a HA is OP?

Okay, but more seriously I'll tell you why.
    LA currently is neither OP nor UP at the moment. It's right where it's meant to be. A straight buff will kick it off balance.

secondly:
    Rocket launchers have their splash nerfed a lot. You have to hit somebody directly with the rocket to kill him assuming he doesn't have flak armor on. HA's rarely use their launchers against enemy infantry because it's not worth it anymore. You can kill way more reliably with any small arms weapon.UBGL has shorter reload time and bigger splash radious than a rocket launcher so if you want to make it free for every LA then it's just giving them a rocket launcher more capable of killing infantry.And a LA can use it far better than a heavy could due to positioning.Imagine you're a MAX and every LA has UBGLs which do 70% damage to a MAX... Imagine the explosives spam....From EVERY_FU*KING_DIRECTION

and thirdly:
    LAs already have their special ability. Jetpacks remember?
  11. Iridar51

Says who?

You don't know what you're talking about. Here are current stats, as indicated by patch notes and datamined stats.

Rocket launchers:
    Direct damage: 1000, 1135 or 1335
    Inner blast damage: 750
    Inner blast radius: 0.35 meters
    Outer blast damage: 1
    Outar blast radius: 5m

UBGL:
    Direct damage: 800
    Inner blast damage: 700
    Inner blast radius: 0.1m
    Outer blast damage: 1
    Outar blast radius: 5m

This all means that UBGL does less direct damage, less splash damage, and it's splash damage gets weaker way sooner, and just as a rocket launcher, it requires a direct hit to oneshot someone.
    I see HAs using them every day just fine.
    UBGL doesn't do 70% damage to a MAX, more like 35%.
    Yes, LA can take a better advantage. That's why it's weaker.

Seriously? This argument?
    Jet Pack is an ability, what we're talking here about is a tool.
    Med tool, repair tool, infiltrator's recon tool, HA's rocket launcher - there are all tools, used in tool slot. LA has none.
    In fact, other classes, apart from HA, have something special in addition to ability and a tool. Medic has triage, though it's notoriously underpowered. Infiltrator has hacking, and engineer has turret and free ammo, count them as two abilities if you wish.
    • Up x 1
  12. Alan Kalane

I say. I use LA quite often, I don't think it needs a buff. A LA dies to a heavy or even a medic in a stand-up fight but always wins if he uses his jetpack and environment well. So, it's just as it should be. It's a situational class.

Lol,
    didn't think it's actually that bad.
    No wonder I haven't used my Compact S since the nerf.

Actually, it can kill a MAX without flak armour in 2 shots, so it has to do at least 50% damage. Wiki confirms this.

Well, all in all, I think you convinced me since the nades are so bad.If it's a buff then it's only good against MAXes. It could actually be a good counter to MAXes(I don't like MAXes) and can't OHK unless it's a direct hit. However, I don't think it should be used for openings, so the time required to switch from the UBGL back to primary should be at least 1.5 seconds.Also there's the problem of the S variants. Personally I'd never choose an S variant just to get one more nade. The nades themself currently suck and the S weaponry sux even more. So I get one more suck-nade and one suck-gun, no thanks.
  13. Iridar51

You say? I've never heard of you, so don't be surprised if I don't put much value in what you say.
    Unless you present some compelling arguments, it's just an opinion.

Actually, it can't. Once again, you don't know what you're talking about.
    Wiki is a very unreliable information source, often containing outdated or outright wrong information.
    If you don't believe me, go and test at VR training yourself. Since one of the recent patches splash damage correctly applies to target dummies, and you can clearly see that UBGL does about 35% damage to a MAX.
    Just make sure to stand 15+ meters from a MAX, or the grenade won't arm and won't produce splash damage.
    • Up x 1
  14. Alan Kalane

Yes it is indeed.
    Every opinion counts.
    If a noob like me has no issues using LA that means that it's probably quite balanced.I'm not a LA pro just a casual player and I don't see any problem with the class. If there is any please point it out.

Not very good in squad play except for beacon placement but good for lonewolf killstreaks and "tower stomping". All in all a situational class it was meant to be.

If you asked me the only buff the LA needs is a tool that allowed it to perform better in a squad.
    Every class has something useful in squad play, even the infiltrator has recon darts (why hunter QCX, why?), HA is the front line soldier and a good AV class and MAX is just the tip of the spear. But the LA got nothing. Aside from the killstreaks you can make with it and beacon placement it has nothing that could be useful in a squad.
    I don't see how the permament UBGL ability fits that role though.No support/frontline/AV capability, just a shiny new solo play weapon.
  15. Iridar51

Wrong. If we're talking about satisfaction from the game, then yes, every opinion counts. If we're talking about class balance, then only the opinion of people who know what they're talking about counts. You don't.

I've been in your shoes two years ago.
    People were telling me I was wrong, and I didn't listen. My experiences told me otherwise. It took me a year before I begun to understand just how underpowered the Light Assault is. If you don't see it now yourself - trying to explain it would be pointless.

But I will try.

1. No viable long range option. This means we're useless in open field. I can understand why SOE is reluctant to give us a ranged weapon. Nobody likes rats sitting on an unreachable perch and shooting at people below. But I still believe we deserve to have at least one good ranged carbine-assault rifle hybrid per faction, and by good I mean the one that will have AR-tier velocity and damage model. Carbines have low velocity, and even those that don't - T5 AMC and Razor - drop a lot of damage over range.

And before you ask, no, slug shotguns are not a viable ranged option. Their effective range is within ~25m, less than most carbines.

Overall, carbines are simply worse ARs. Slightly better hip fire CoF is not strong enough advantage to compensate for damage and velocity. We use carbines because we have to, not because we want to.

2. Problems with reinsertion and reliance on hard spawns. Current squad play meta relies heavily on medics reviving people. LA often dies in unreachable places. Even if there is a Sunderer or a spawn room nearby, after death LA still has to waste time making his way to where his squad is.

Additionally, this makes LAs useless in organized objective play, because it often involves "rush and hold" type of gameplay, where a group of medics, engineers and MAXes protects a room with capture point, and enemies are trying to fight their way in.

In that setting, LA is useless.

3. Class ability is useless for direct confrontation, and there are no other abilities / items to help in that regard. Direct confrontations are often, and the fact the LA is the weakest class there after engineer is the problem.

And before you say "as LA you're not meant to have direct confrontations, use jet pack to attack unexpectedly" - that's a load of crap. True, that's how LA gameplay has evolved, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing, or that it should be that way.

We are FORCED to use stealth, because it's the only viable type of play for us.
    Jet pack is useless in a fight, weapons are inferior, and if we can't expose ourselves to danger because if we die we have to waste time just to get back into fight.

This is by no means a complete list. It's a tip of the iceberg.
    1. Unless you provide a link to where the devs have stated that LA was meant to be a situational class, you have just said NOTHING.
    2. What even is "situational class"? Something that only useful in select situations? How is it any good? All classes should be useful, always. There is nothing good about "rock-paper-scissor" type of gameplay, where you play the best option for current situation or you lose.
  16. Alan Kalane

I don't think giving the LA a long ranged weapon is a good idea... It would encourage gameplay strategies like camping on top of a tower. With the carbines it's hard due to damage dropoff... But if you gave the LA an AR...

True. It could use some love in terms of team play.

Well, I can't imagine the LA rushing the enemy head-on. As an infiltrator you also want to avoid face-to-face combat and I see nothing wrong with this.

A medic or an infi is of limited use in a tank fight for example. An engineer is very bad in any sudden face-to-face combat scenario without the MANA turret deployed and facing the right direction. MAX is generally vulnerable in the open field.The LA is very poor without using the jetpacks correctly. Only the HA is a perfect all-rounder from the definition, but trades this for limited mobility and no support ability. I think it should stay this way.

A class that is only good if played properly in a limited number of situations which don't always appear. Situational classes include Infiltrator (sux in BioLabs and bad in team play for example) and LA (sux on flat terrain,bad in team play)

If you mean competitive level like community clashes and etc. then sure, I don't know what I'm talking about. Never took part in any. But if you mean everyday gameplay then I know as much as 95% of people playing LA.
    I'm currently BR 55 without ever spending a penny on XP boosts so I got some experience with the game, like I said not a pro but a casual gamer. And since the game consists mostly of casual players then I think that I'm somewhat qualified to join the LA discussion.