Light Assault- Most self-entitled group of players ever?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by FrontTowardEnemy, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Qraven

Few things of note:
    • Every class can get to any outdoor position a LA can reach, via a drop pod deployment; except Maxes.
    • Every class can get to any outdoor position a LA can reach, via Gal drops; including Maxes.
    • Those that are skilled at jumping and climbing can also reach a lot of places LA can.
    • During base sieges, the LA's ability to control the high ground is outclassed over time by all of the players that drop pod onto buildings.
    • LA are restricted to Shotgun, SMG, and Carbine primary weapons, giving them less long distance kill potential over Medic, HA, Engineer, and Infiltrator.
    • LA is the only class without a weapon/tool #3 setup.
    • C4 has been repeatedly reduced in effectiveness that it takes 4-5 C4 to kill a Sunderer with level 4 Blockade Armor. LA can only carry 2.
    • Flash Grenades can be annoying, and are not nearly as effective as Frag Grenades.
    • LA cannot carry AP mines, or AT mines.
    • Smoke Grenades are fundamentally broken; The Acquire Target spam, IRNV Scope, and red target reticle all see through the smoke.
    In the end, the LA is nothing more than a "Run and Gun" class without the survivability or damage potential of the other classes. The driving success of the class is more or less based on the lack of awareness of other players than the ability of the LA class itself. Those of us that play the LA know how to capitalize on the horizontal tunnel vision other players have, and attack from locations players aren't expecting. On the flip side, when not playing LA, and being aware of these locations, it's easy to pick off LA players from distance, or angles they are not watching.

The class needs more flavor, along with a bit higher CQC suvivability. Most LA players ask for more damage potential in the form of gaining access to; Battle Rifles, Assault Rifles, Scout Rifles, or other weapons. I personally would prefer the other route in giving them tools to survive more, and be a bit heartier class.
    • Up x 1
  2. IamDH

3. Liberty

I only have 60 odd hours as a LA and the OP isn't too far off. In a game where TTK's are so insanely short, positional advantage trumps just about everything else, LA is in reality amazingly powerful without any "tools" outside of its Jetpack. When I play LA, I'd say 9 times out of 10, I die to another LA because I get caught shooting fish in a barrel.

Light Assault followed closely by drop pods are the biggest detriment to infantry battle flow / offense / defense in this game. They make sure there are no true "front lines" to any battle and that any area you are trying to defend can have troops pop up from literally any direction. What does this do? It turns PS2 into a run and gun cluster **** where you are better off running around hunting stuff down rather than trying to hold chokepoints / defend / plan out offensive breaches.

There have been articles/threads about good base design and battle flow but when anyone (and everyone) can pull a unit that completely circumvents the pathing for infantry combat you have the mess you have now. The issue is made worse with easily abuseable drop pods that allow you to drop whatever you want (other than MAXes now) wherever you want. (And don't get me wrong, I abuse the hell out of them, because you'd be stupid not to)

My solution for drop pods would be require a galaxy over head with a "drop pod" cert line along with a spawn beacon below. Once the two are linked up in a 100M circle, people can pod into an area en masse. Until then, you actually have to use transports to get to an area.

As for LA, there is no fix. As long as 95% of the structures in this game are scalable with jetpacks, you'll continue to have the run and gun mess you have now.

*note* what is funny to me is you have all these "breaching" type weapons / devices. Recon darts to gauge how many are in a area. HE grenades to flush people out / soften things up. Flashbangs / concussions to stun or disorient masses of holed up troops. Shotguns, Maxes, etc etc etc. All that are well designed to breach rooms/areas. Yet? Why put any kind of organized effort into it when you can simply strap a jetpack, avoid the messy part and shoot people in the back.

Don't get me wrong, I always have a good time when I play LA. Its beyond goofy the stuff you can pull, but I also recognize what their potential does to gameplay and battle flow.
    • Up x 1
  4. GhostAvatar

Ahhh, so you're one of those engies that spam smoke to the detriment to the team. No wonder you think LA has no team play role.
  5. Luighseach

Good point with the tool. Honestly though what kind of tool could they get though maybe tracer darts that show where the enemy is on the screen and radar.
  6. Serafan

When I play LA with my outfit I offer quite a bit of team support. While I am not rezzing people, or giving them ammo, I do provide information and cover. Maybe I play LA wrong, I mean I use the Pulsar-C(longer range, lower dps), and I use the jetpack to get into places where I can easily see most of the battlefield and then tell my outfit about enemy movements, which doors they are entering and so on; should I instead be doing nothing by flying around killing all the afk people?

I would say that LA effectiveness is great for solo, great for highly organized units, and poor for poorly organized units.
  7. deggy

I'd say that C4 is the LA's tool to a greater extent than any other class. When combined with the jump jets, I think LA benefits more from it than any other class.
    • Up x 1
  8. Luighseach

Well true but overall it does not come standard with the class like basic tools for the other classes.
  9. Erilis

True... Maybe I'm wrong, but it would seem to me like LA benefits when they have more than one LA cooperating. Maybe they should think about ways to encourage LAs playing with other LAs. Some kind of proximity buff?
    • Up x 1
  10. Goodkat

Honestly Light Assault players are just better than the rest.

We are have superior intellect, reflexes, and skills. Light Assaults are the gentlemen nobility if you will. We fly while others walk. Down on the ground, the common soldier slugs it out in the mud, while we hold honorable duels on rooftops. We are the knights in shining armor from the dreams of high-born Vanu-female-infiltrators. The most any of you archers or men-at-arms can achieve is becoming our squire so start sucking up. Finally, since MAXes are the noble steeds in this analogy, please buff MAXes to allow Light Assaults to ride on their shoulders.
    • Up x 7
  11. Vyss

We should be able to jumpjet with the maxes. Then they could be our pegasus.

In all seriousness, being able to carry people would be a sick LA ability.
    • Up x 1
  12. deggy

I think if it did it would be pretty massively OP. Maybe if we really want to give LA something special by default we can have flash grenades come pre-unlocked?
  13. Skandis

The radar blip isn't what gets you noticed. Ascending descending is. As an infiltrator you're instantly gone when you want to leave; as a LA you make jetpack sounds and pray no one is coming around in the next two seconds.

C4 does more damage than mines. It's not better. Not with a big red light and a manual detonation requirement. If you want it to blow up, other than the rare times people decide to be stationary near a wall, you'll always be in an awkward position.

I'm not saying the LA is crap - it isn't. I'm saying that the anything you could want with an LA can be done better as an infiltrator, expect for C4ing static newbies.
  14. deggy

Jump jets had their sounds lowered if I'm remembering right. I've never had someone notice me JJing up behind them.

With a silencer and peoples' apparent lack of looking up, Light Assault is probably better at hiding than the Infiltrator.
  15. lilleAllan

It would be pretty crazy. But then I insist that the animation should be ridiculous, something like the LA carriying the troop clenched between his legs like a bird.
    • Up x 1
  16. Kulantan

Personally I'd like to see LAs get a res tool. Not a heal tool, but one to get people up and fighting again at 10% health. The certs would be time taken (4 seconds minimum down from 8) and a cooldown (25 second minimum down from 45). SOE have said that we LAs might get ammo scavenging, but honestly we can go and get ammo, we can't go and get a res. Without the ability to res you'll always lose to the medic ball or attrition.

Ahh so you're on of those forum posters who falls back on insults when they can't formulate an argument. I'd still like to hear how resource costing smoke nades are soooo much better than unlimited free smoke from your squad's MAX's pocket engy.
  17. MrForz

Tactical advantages.

You can say anything about tactical advantages, unless you carry 2 bricks of C4 you're not going to have an impact on most of hairy situations compared to the rest of classes. Oh, and they're nerfing the C4.
  18. deggy

You carry a carbine that can drop two or three people in a single magazine. Or a shotgun. And grenades. And a pistol.

Your class isn't dependent on C4. YOU might be dependent on C4, but that's you, not the class itself. And since when is C4 being nerfed?
  19. GhostAvatar

I never said they are better. But the LA still has access to the same UBGL. The fact that you require more than the default quantity before you have an opportunity to re-arm, means you are spamming them. Which is a detriment to your own team. Those kind of players are not team players that think it is fun to spam smoke. That is not an insult, that is pure fact. Spam smoke = bad team player.
  20. Posse

You mean those LA that think they're invincible in those high walls before I shoot them down with my LMG?
    • Up x 1