[Suggestion] Light Assault idea: Kestrel Jets

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Liewec123, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Liewec123

ahoy gang, i saw the "nerf LA" thread, and while i agree that some stuff (like c4) is a bit whacky on LA,
    i also thought of a fun addition which could be added for an alternate LA playstyle!

i call them "Kestrel Jets"!

The Idea
    the basic idea is to give us "a hover and wait" jetpack,
    which would offer a unique playstyle compared to the usual frantic fast paced LA playstyles.
    the idea is based on Kestrels (and other birds of prey) and how they hover motionless above,
    waiting for their moment to strike!

i've played around in the past with drifter jets and flight suit,
    hovering above staircases waiting for the enemy to gormlessly rush in
    (one of which even made it into one of my old signatures!)
    but it was always quite noisy toggling the jets on and off to get as much airtime as possible
    and my position was obvious to anyone paying attention to their minimap,

so it'd be cool if we had a new jetpack to fill the niche of the sneaky skybound predator!

How Kestrel Jets would Function
    Pressing and holding the jump key would boost you up into the air (maybe 3x jump height)
    you will then hover at that elevation indefinitely until you release the jump key,

while in this "hover" mode you can move around horizontally slowly (at crouch speed),
    and are considered crouched for the purpose of detection, the jets will also produce less noise than other jets.

perhaps while hovering stationary you regain the ability to ADS. (this one might be a bit more controversial!)

releasing the jump key will cancel hover mode and you'll fall down as normal,
    however if instead of simply releasing the key you release and then quickly hold it again you will get another upwards thrust.

these upward thrusts drain 33% of the Kestrel Jet's charge (so you can only do 3 upthrusts in quick succession)
    however they would recharge slowly over time while hovering stationary (or fast when you're not using your jetpack.)

what would everyone else think?
    what scenarios would you use Kestrel Jets in instead of Ambusher or Drifter?
    • Up x 1
  2. Johannes Kaiser

Interesting certainly. BUt how much use would it really see? Then again, Drifter and Icarus are also rather niche.
  3. JustGotSuspended

Icarus is really good. I always use it instead of the defaults because of how much faster the thing is. Once you get used to it, you won't be able to switch back to the defaults. They are the best jets for infantry combat especially.

As for the jets he suggested, of course they'd see some use. Remember the concept of them is to lay in wait out of sight and then fall down onto your cheap kill. Reminds you of something? Probably infiltrators right? Ofc it would be more difficult and less rewarding than just running infil, but it's fair to assume a fair chunk of people will go towards this cheesy playstyle.

Honestly the only addition the LA needs of now is to make safe fall integrated into the class as default, and remove the rocklet rifle.
  4. Liewec123

Like you say it'd be niche, but I don't think it'd be as niche as icarus or drifter since it would be incredible for point holding/guarding chokepoints from odd and unexpected angles

Yup that's the idea, it's the 'Sky Stalker' trading cloak for hovering :)
    Ironically I think this would offer more to an 'ambush' playstyle than Ambusher Yolo jump jets!
    • Up x 1
  5. Demigan

Drifter niche? Drifters already work a lot like these Kestral jumpjets, and Drifter lets you climb something high and then float across a base, striking wherever you want.

I think the idea behind Kestrals is simple and effective. But I do want some drawback or method of detection. It is no fun getting killed by something you couldn't reasonably predict or detect. Maybe instead of your jetpacks keeping you aloft forever for *reasons*, you deploy a miniature gravlift with a low-visibility beam? Maybe it infuses you with antigrav so if you leave the beam you can remain airborne for a moment and you can deploy a new one below you before you fall?
    • Up x 4
  6. JustGotSuspended

This sounds like an engineer tool. Deploying mini elevators or jumpads would be so cool. Perhaps make the things tactical slot items. But I do think the engineer could use some more unique teamwork oriented tools.
    • Up x 1
  7. JustGotSuspended

Yeah but they wouldn't let you extrapolate into the floors tho....:(
    • Up x 1
  8. Liewec123

i think the drawback would be the loss of mobility that the other jets provide,
    and the sloooow horizontal movement while in hover mode :)
  9. Luicanus

How is drifter niche? With Catlike the damn thing has plenty of verticality and easily the best horizontal jets. I literally don't use anything else.
    • Up x 1
  10. Bonemiser

Sitting in place airborne for 45 seconds is something Drifter Jets can already do. They also have the best horizontal movement and serviceable vertical movement if you're running Catlike 5 (which you better be if you're using Drifters, they can't jump for crap otherwise).

If you want a niche, maybe some kind of combination of Ambusher and Drifter -- three chunks, for three boosts of quick movement into sudden held hovering. Keep it nice and punishing between boosts so you aren't hell to track. Suggesting this only because OP suggestion is just not different enough from Drifter.
  11. Demigan

That is a drawback to the LA's ability to move around. But if you place yourself right there is a huge advantage to surprise attacking players entering rooms and the like, perhaps too big. Adding a drawback so you can be detected somehow by attentive players is a requirement I think.
  12. RabidIBM

Drifter are niche? Says you. I run them more than any other jet.
    • Up x 4