[Suggestion] Lever-Action Rifle (NS)

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by SlugSniper, Nov 14, 2016.

1. SlugSniper

I just want a lever-action for style, but don't worry, I also have some unique balances in mind.

1. Operates like straight-pull bolt-action but allows other attachments.

2. Better hip-fire than other Infiltrator rifles.

3. Reloads like pump-action shotgun (interruptible bullet-by-bullet reload).

4. Regular iron sights; up to a 6x scope available.

5. 650 max damage (on par with weakest bolt action), 350-ish min damage (on par with semi-auto sniper rifles).

6. Faster fire rate than bolt actions.

7. 500m/s bullet velocity.

8. Fire modes: Standard Lever-Action and Rapid Fire (hip-fire only for this mode; increases fire rate by making the lever act as a trigger). For reference, see these videos:

The first one is actually a short-barrel rifle. What I have in mind is a full-sized rifle, although the Mare's Leg as a sidearm would be awesome. :D

On kill streak, character spin-chambers rounds (only when hip-firing in Standard Lever-Action mode). Also shown in videos.
  2. DIGGSAN0

So a CS GO player who plays ssg-08 wants the weapon in planetside2...
  3. SlugSniper

Never played CS-GO... Didn't even know they had a lever-action.

EDIT: Just saw a video of it. That's a bolt action, so... I don't understand what your point is...
  4. Eternaloptimist

Um..........sounds a bit like a halfway house between a SASR and a lower tier BASR but I'm not sure there is a gap there that needs to be filled.

Can't see any value in a better hipfire for a sniper rifle (650 dmg) that has slower than semi auto RoF though. Hipfiring a sniper rifle has got to be a last ditch, and usually futile, desperation measure when you get ambushed hasn't it? Unless you have a hankering to go close-range turkey shooting for a challenge.

I can see it might be a personal preference weapon or somthing but I can't see DBG putting effort into something (else) that most people wouldn't want.

Perhaps if I understood more about what infil role or combat scenario it supported better than the existing infil armoury..............?

Or is it just the attraction of a lever action reload animation?
  5. MrMinistry30

So basically you suggest a short range sniper (like the Ghost or SAS-R) with an additional fire mode and unique reload, right?

Don't get me wrong, the basic idea behind this is really awesome (i love lever-action guns) but in my opinion that would only be a straight upgrade and probably way too powerful... sorry.

What might bring some balance to this would be something like a really simple iron sight and no other sights possible but i am not sure if that would be enough...
  6. SlugSniper

That's what the rapid-fire mode is for. This would also help if a player was using the Crossbow, giving up their pistol.

The key thing here is that it's unique and has its own advantages and disadvantages. Also, the damage drop-off and the relatively low minimum damage are the primary balancing factors, emphasizing the rifle's intended use at close to medium range. Even the existing medium range bolt-actions are capable of functioning as regular sniper rifles in certain situations.
  7. Halkesh

A SR able to kill in 2 body shot with such high RoF is completely broken.
    Even with the SAS-R / Ghost / TSAR-42 the target chance to react are minimal. (0.5 sec to react + 0.5 sec for your hitbox from the enemy PoV to start moving against a 1.1 rechamber)
    Basically, you want a pump-action shotgun with slug with more accuracy at range ?

Even if this could be fun, it would be broken and shouldn't exist IG.
  8. DIGGSAN0

According to the Video...it shoots like a BR? (Vandal)

So why does he still want one for just the animation?
  9. SlugSniper

What would the max damage need to be for this to be balanced? If it was a three-shot kill, it would be a nerfed semi-auto.

A two-shot kill would make it like a worse semi-auto shotgun with slugs and no ability to ADS. It seems pretty balanced to me.
  10. SlugSniper

Close range - nerfed shotgun w/ slugs
    Medium range - nerfed aggressive bolt-action with straight-pull bolt
    Long range - nerfed semi-auto sniper rifle

Again, seems pretty balanced. Not "the best" at any particular thing, but in the right hands, it could act as both the aggressive medium-range sharpshooting weapon and the close-quarters panic weapon, allowing the player to equip the Crossbow without sacrificing too much.
  11. Corezer

*hopes this isn't the infiltrator forum*
    *looks*
    God damnit, why the **** is this place the spawn of stupid?

do you really think lever action will carry forward into the future? at least bolt/pump action have some redeeming qualities (which modern systems will probably overtake with advancement of technology, the reliability of pump action is already being matched closer and closer by semi auto shotguns, but since it hasn't happened yet we can pretend.)
  12. SlugSniper

I have the mindset that "nothing is ever truly outdated." Take a look at some of the things we already have in the game:

We have 40mm AA guns that were slowly phased out in the few decades after WWII.
    We have what is basically a 14.5mm anti-tank rifle for Engineer.
    We have an anti-tank grenade for Heavy Assault, which, with modern armor, probably wouldn't work IRL.
    We have a crossbow. A modernized crossbow, but a crossbow nonetheless.
    We have revolvers. How old are those things?
    We have rocket launchers. You'd think that inertial dampening tech would pave the way for big honkin' railguns or something.
    We have bullets while there are plasma rifles with infinite ammo.
  13. Corezer

Just because stupid modern warfare/battlefield clone crap exists in the game already doesn't mean I like it.

Do you know how much cooler this game would be if it fully embraced a sci-fi future element, with all manner of different weapons? Stop promoting this more of the same for quick cash mentality that DBG has taken up or this game will go the way of other shooters. as it stands that will probably happen anyway because the damage has been done...
  14. SlugSniper

DBG is more than capable of catering to both sides of this. While me and a few other oddballs like the "outdated" stuff, you and your buddies are also getting some very nice new NSX weapons and the like. That new NSX Tomoe in the PTS looks pretty sick, and have you seen that new knife? It's like the throwing knife of the future.

This is what I love about Planetside 2 so much. It's a scenario where technology has advanced so far that new tactics and weapons open up new possibilities for previously outdated technology.

Lever-actions actually do have their own real-life advantages over semi-autos since manual actions tend to be more reliable than more complex automatic weapons. As for pump-actions and bolt-actions, lever-actions have a unique advantage over them as well: they can be operated with one hand.
  15. Ghoest

Im a great fan of lever actions IRL. In fact I just shot a buck on Monday with an old Savage Model 99.

This is a dumb idea for the game.

Bolt actions can shot essentially just as fast fast as lever actions but are easier to hold on target while cycling.

Hip shooting a lever action is trick shooting silliness. Your much better off with a semi auto((and even better with actual aiming.)

Let the lever actionsbe for cowboy and steampunk games.
    PS2 is already full of nonsense gun design - we dont need to make it even more silly.
  16. SlugSniper

While gimmicky, the main idea is just a stylish weapon with certain niche advantages. With better hip-fire than any other sniper rifle (bolt-action or semi-auto), that rapid-fire mode would be practical as a close-range emergency tactic.

I'm basing a lot of suggestions around a playstyle that lets players use the Crossbow with explosive bolts on the Infiltrator class without completely sacrificing certain effective ranges; for example:
    - Using a mid-to-long-range weapon with the Crossbow and using the Amaterasu as a kind of finisher or sidearm replacement, but sacrificing melee effectiveness.
    - Using an SMG with the Crossbow, but sacrificing effectiveness at longer ranges.
    - Using the lever-action as a "jack-of-all-trades" while not being "the best" at any particular range; just well-rounded for multiple scenarios.