Lets talk about Rhinos

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by sustainedfire, Feb 16, 2015.

1. sustainedfire

My main choice class has been engineer, since the release of the game.

I enjoy vehicle play, and Eng is the natural choice for dabbling with vehicles.

Also, I enjoyed engineer for point defense. I liked the combo of an unlimited ammo shotgun, a stack of claymores and a bandolier full of sticky grenades. And now with the spitfire turret, point defense can be even more fun.

Though I have played that role for a long time, and now I am being more flexible and fluid with my gameplay.

I have taken to playing the Heavy. Its alright. A bit less dynamic then the Engineer, its straight forward run and gun with the overshield to let you take a few more bullets.

So far as a TR player, I found the LMG guns to be pea shooters. The MSRw was alright, I auraxiumed that gun. I also AURAXED the CARV. As well as the MCG.

Now I am onto Rhino. Its been very slow going with the Rhino. Its really hit or miss with the way the gun performs. Sometimes I can mow down a small group of people, other times I can have the crosshairs on a player and unload 1/2 of my extended mag on them and they do not die.

Whats are the preferred attachments for the Rhino, and what situations is it best to be rampaging with the Rhino?
  2. TheBurningLegion

The Carv/Carv-S are assault weapons
    The MSW-R is the counter-part to the Orion and should be played as such. Basically point defense
    The Rhino is a support weapon and putting a little distance/cover + aiming for the head will net you alot of satisfying kills
    I've never used the Bull but I think it also plays as a point defense
    The TMG-50 is the TR's answer to long range punishment
    I've never used the MCG so I don't know what to make of it

By far, the 2 best LMGs are the MSW-R and T9 Carv-S. The MSW-R for obvious reasons (price, SPA, good ADS accuracy and ALS), and the Carv-S because it takes already one of the best LMGs in the game (the Carv) but makes it better with attachments that don't totally **** your gun.

That being said, the TR has a really solid and reliable array of LMGs with no clear duds (maybe the Bull but that is mainly because of the 1000 cert price).

For attachments for the Rhino, stick with Advanced Foregrip and Compensator. Do not get HVA.
  3. CapperDeluxe

Without knowing how you actually play the game, I'm going to take a guess that you don't burst fire your rounds and instead just unload until either you are out of ammo or out of targets.

All LMGs still need to be properly fire-controlled, both through appropriate bursts of aimed fire and recoil compensation.
  4. sustainedfire

I burst fire where applicable. Though I would rather hear from TR players who know the pea-like qualities of the arsenal TR ammo.
  5. CapperDeluxe

I have a TR alt at around mid 20 level (same for NC), so I've played their LMG's a decent amount and found them plenty lethal. Any chance you can provide us a video maybe others can help improve how you are using your guns?
  6. KnightCole

T16 is like the NCs EM1, its mostly a joke. Its accurate, it sounds cool, its fun to fire, but unless you get the drop on the guy and he never returns fire, you die.....or, if you miss so much as 1 bullet in his head, you die.

Its a 143@652 weapon.

Its best used with a Adv Grip, x2 or 3.4x and sit at mid range, or somehow flank your enemy. Do your best to ensure you will get the first 20 rounds. Aim for the head, or be the clean up crew who kill steals everyones stuff.

I had like 950 some kills with the EM1 before its suck got the best of me....I had tried it so many times and just never liked it. 143@652 is just to unreliable of a weapon class...
    • Up x 3
  7. Danath

So far the Rhino has been the most difficult to auriax for me. Too much recoil for a 143 dmg weapon with low RoF
    Wait, what? Fast reload weapon is point defense? I'd say is the opposite: allows being aggresive and constantly changing position. With the Carv, you have to make an appointment to reload.
    For long range I find the Bull better than the Rhino. Still, needs more ammo pool, 1 or even 2 more magazines.
  8. Crashsplash

Have they changed it? The Rhino was my 2nd fav. after the NS15M.

Just use it a touch further away than you would with the carv.

ps if you're really using 1/2 a clip it's probably a hit detection problem.
  9. Hatesphere

mag size vs reload is a trade off really, sometimes i would rather have the extra 100% mag size to down 2-3 more targets that have to stop and reload right away.

So far on my TR toon I have auriaxed, the carv, carv-s and, tmg50. working on the bull and the msw-r at the moment. Honestly I prefer the carv-s, and the bull seems pretty good for CQC and landing head shots but can still reach out and touch people at range with good trigger control.

they really are no more pea like then the VS arsenal I started my fist 300ish hours with. even in closer range you still need to burst a bit due to how the COF works in this game (that and it helps you take a bit more control over the vertical horizontal recoil)
  10. Tommyp2006

I'll pretty much never use anything other than a foreward grip for an LMG. I rarely run into a situation where I'd rather sacrifice accuracy for more rounds per mag.
  11. day ofm one

With that first shot recoil, you better go off holding the trigger and pulling down strongly, rather than having a first shot recoil that kicks your gun over the enemies head every time.

On 30 meters range, I have a notably higher surviveability chance when I just hold the trigger down, burst firing leaves me missing 40% of my bullets going over the enemies head.
  12. Gutseen

TR HA has only 2 guns.
    CARV
    NS-15
    anything else is a waste of time & certs
  13. Hatesphere

the recoil multi on the Rhino isn't that huge and is pretty easy to get used to. it still benefits from bursting like any other weapon with practice.

sorry but you are just wrong. msw-r and bull are both pretty good, and then TMG-50 has its place.
    • Up x 1
  14. Kociboss

I almost agree.

I would add MSW-R to that (although it has nothing on Orion @lol SPA).

For some reason I'm doing really well with Butcher. It's a bad gun but I'm still performing above average for some reason. Maybe it's the experience.

T32, T16 - MEH. MEH. MEH.

TMG 50 - Worse flare/worse em6

Carv-s - ...Ok?
  15. nehylen

That perpetuated myth...

1. the Orion is one, if not the most inaccurate LMG in the game: second highest first shot recoil after SAW - 0.9 but no comp- , high tolerance leading to a high horizontal arc (2.025° with grip) standard CoF (0.4)
    2. The MSW-R is the most accurate of the 750x143 LMGs, by a fair margin unless you're troubled by vertical bias: low horizontal tolerance (horizontal arc exactly half the Orion's with grip) and lower ads CoF (0.35), and even a slightly lower effective first shot recoil (0.875)
    On follow-up shots, it's shot for shot the 4th most accurate LMG (after GD-22S,Bull and Anchor, and better than NS-15M), though not friendly to tapfiring due to that high first shot recoil, just like the Orion. Also faster to reload, that counts on 50 rounds mag.

So yeah no .75ads, but SPA and significantly more accurate overall, as backed by stats.
  16. Kociboss

I play every faction, Orion is amazing.

Small inaccuracy changes - Negligible.

Reloads mumbo-jumbo - Negligible.

0.75x on HA with PS2 Horrible animations and clientside warping = Amazing. Simply amazing.

PS.

World record - Infantry weapon with most kills? Orion. GG.
    • Up x 2
  17. CapperDeluxe

It's good yes, but its also the default Heavy LMG for VS which means all the new players get it. Personally I prefer something with a larger clip, 50 on the Orion just doesn't cut it most times. SVA for close and Flare for long are much better options than the Orion usually.
  18. Syphers

Gimmick support med range adv grip weapon with a smoother recoil
  19. DrPapaPenguin

I dont have the rhino yet, still slaving away at the CARV-S, but I would play the two guns similarly - get everything to make you useful at range, meaning foregrip (and HVA if it has it), and ADS 99% of the time. So far worked for my TMG-50 and both CARVs.
  20. Eternaloptimist

The strange thing I found about most TR guns is that I thought each one was bad, so I got another, and then when I went back and tried them again for the directive they were better - in other words, I learned how to shoot eventually. I play all factions and I think the TR lmgs just took me a bit longer to get the measure of. My arsenal:
    • MSW(R): good value, CQC monster (frickin's 750 rof man!)
    • Rhino: lowish recoil: mid range/burst: with patience, a good all-rounder imo
    • Bull: any range really: high bullet velocity counts! kind of a better Rhino but tendency to run out of ammo due to fewer reloads
    • TMG50: long range: burst: good killer but punishes inaccuracy more than usual
    • Carv S: just started using it for directive: burst seems essential: otherwise a solid mid ranger.

My personal favourites? Bull and MSW R. Forced to choose between them? the Bull

I always run a foregrip, SPA and compensator if available. I always ADS unless the baddie is within touching distance