[Suggestion] Lets make Engineers even less worth playing

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Targanwolf, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Targanwolf

Why would you make one of the lesser played classes even less worth playing ?
    Their mines already glow in the dark.....
    Some only work in one direction

and now lets let anyone spot mines with EOD HUD implants that allow you to see mines 20 M away !!!

Are the devs really wanting everyone running around taking 2 seconds(maximum) to kill people over and over and over.

if you are going to punish engineers this way......why not put the shoe on the other foot and let engineers implant into stealth mines.My would we hear the crying then
  2. Crayv

You play Engineer for the repair tool.... my MAX isn't gonna repair itself. If your really nice I'll even deliberately expose myself to enemy fire for a bit to give you more repair points.
    • Up x 4
  3. Targanwolf

You seriously think people play an engineer PRIMARILY to facilitate the play/fun of others...
    and you expect them to pay money for the privilege ?

................and you wonder why this game is in the shape it's in ?
    • Up x 1
  4. Predator01cz

53 days
    15 hours
    61% of which I spent as an engineer

I honestly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
    Right after medic, you're the most lucrative class to play due to your repair tool and ammo boxes

Tank mines are fine.. all you have to do is to place them in less obvious spot. EOD HUD is useless unless you have tier 3 and then it's only semi useful as you have to drive really slow to be able to stop within those 15m in which you spot the mine

AI mines.. I always seen them more as an infiltrator thingy

It's not medic, not HA, not LA and most definitely not Infil who will make enemy sundy a goner in least amount of time
    • Up x 3
  5. Targanwolf

EOD HUD 3- "Displays enemy explosives within 20m on your HUD." This is the descriptor SOE put out to describe this implant. As a NON twitch player I rely on casualties from my anti-personnel mines...primarily those used to defend enemy assault locations.
    Letting people see my mines from 20 meters....says to players like me......don't waste you time because SOE is doing everything in its power with glow in the dark mines....that you can now detect from as far away as 20 meters. Mana turrets are the play box engineers are being forced (or vehicles)into,until they get other meaningful turrets.
  6. Predator01cz

Oh you're one of those AI mines peasant.

Well then your problem has nothing to do with Engineers as I stated, AI mines are more of an infiltrator thingy and you have problem with EOD HUD because it's choking your main income method. (Which is really sad if you mainly rely on AI mines)

As what I understood from your previous comment you're more of a solo player. Which makes your complaints about a support role in a massively team based game even less valid.

Well I think I should stop wasting my time right here and you should go back in the game...
    You will figure out yourself where lies the strength of the engineer class.
    • Up x 1
  7. Targanwolf

When you have a class that is played far less than many other classes...and you have a game that has significantly underperformed....does it make sense to discourage engineer game play ? Does that implant build your subscriber base ?
  8. Gemenai

Well i draw my engineer only if there are maxes or i´m in a defending position or i have to place a lot of mines at once.
    Just finished a 2h session in which i repaired most of the time maxes and turrets, giving ammo and occasionally revived some guys.
    Gave us the edge to counter the vehicle zerg followed by air.
    Good certs and even some kills with my non-offensive support loadout :p.
    And yes i kinda considered this time "fun".
    And alternation to the fulltime mlg sniper buisness ;)
  9. OldMaster80

Personally I was pissed by the EOD Hud implant, as it allows all friendlies to see explosives. Imho it should only work for those who have the implant: you see the landmine, you warn your allies.
    But considered the terrible status of the resources system (aka spam of vehicles and explosives at will) this is the only way to prevent people from dying hundred of times because of landmines.
  10. Borsty

• Up x 1
  11. Bixli

12. Nogrim313

your engie time is still only measured in hours? im at 19 days ffs don't brag about your char when your still a noob this isn't LoL
  13. Nogrim313

i dont mind the EOD hud in fact i wish implants were more useful and created even bigger choices. i use EOD on my engie 99% of the time, having a max rank repair tool its great to help shut down those tank traps for allies.

i wish we were able to disamble the AI mines with the tool, but those stupid ******* lights need to go.

imho they need to do a full rework on the mines and grenades across the board, id much rather see the current pad mines and claymores opened up to all factions and have new ES variants with more faction flavor ( fletchet mines for TR, Pyro for NC and plasma for the VS)
  14. Borsty

At what point did I brag about my char? All I did was providing an example that it is possible to play engineer only and have fun while doing so. Also, you really could have combined your two posts into one. And then this grammar, 3 chars with K/D < 0 and also very low XP/min. You are in no place to brag.

Anyway, grenades really need a rework. Not so much the grenades itself, but their availability. They are just too spammable. SOE didn't do themselves a favour by reducing the resource system to only 1 resource, that really makes proper balancing difficult.
    AI seem to be in a good place, they are easy to spot if you are careful and will kill you if you just rush through.
  15. ArcKnight

isn't the sole use of landmines to kill something ?
    • Up x 1
  16. Jac70

I have certainly noticed that I get far less kills with the AV mines than I used to and I guess this is down to EOD implant. I use it myself on my Inf and it has saved me many times. Still though if you are travelling fast you won't be able to stop in time, best you can do is instantly bail out and hope you clear the blast.

I think they are fine currently in regards to visibility, they made them huge which was daft but returned them to a more realistic size. I am fine with EOD hud because I think instant death weapons like mines are frustrating and players need an option to mitigate them - remember they have to forgoe something else for that privilege. Someone said aboe that EOD makes them visible to all players but I don't think this is true, what might have happened is someone saw them because of EOD and then spotted them for their team.

A way to make them more useful and make the engineer more useful is to make them indestructible to weapons fire. Meaning only an engineer with a repair tool can disarm them.
  17. Smoovious

IMHO, yeah... something your implant shows you, should only show _you_... not everyone around you... or why would it be an 'implant' in the first place?

That said, I don't see the bettys as "more of an infiltrator thing". If it was, then they would be carrying more, for cheaper, than the engineers do. Since it is the other way around, they are more of an engineer thing than an infiltrator thing.

My main gripe tho is with the pouch. The description says that it lets you carry more "deployables"... it was a long time until I saw something somewhere (and I don't even remember where I saw it), that it was for anti-tank mines only. I don't use those mines, and I already wasted the certs to get a pouch up to 3rd upgrade, with no change in how many bettys I can carry.

If those pouches are for deployables, then it should be for deployables. If it is just for anti-tank mines, then the description should say so.

Even if I could still only carry two at a time, but I could have 4 set out, before dropping the fifth one erases the first one, that would be something of value.

-- Smoov
    • Up x 1
  18. Nogrim313

the pouches cert progression is pretty ******. the rewards are pretty negligible if you looking for AP mines.

imho they need to make the pouch a flat # increase per rank and a reduction in the number or ranks

ie 3 ranks, each rank lets you carry +1 of all types.

so after iirc ~2000 ish certs you could carry
    5x C4 (2 base iirc?)
    6x At mines (3 base iirc?)
    5 x Ap mines (2 base)

each of those also cost more resources than a MBT to actually refill
    its been a bit since i looked at the cert lines of the individual items

usually if your playing engie your pretty near a terminal. the higher caps on some things would allow you to range a bit further a field.
    6 AT mines would allow you to setup a reasonable road block solo, your not about to kill a tank column but you can slow them down or take out the lead.
    5 Ap mines seem like a lot, however considering how easy they are to spot, and EOD implants and flak armour are all easily available and they can be destroyed very easily when spotted 6 would slow people down and allow a decent defence against the careless and would still slow down a group who has a mine sweeper or max.
    C4 i feel needs some love, not toward its current anti- tank role or whatever, but in how it can be used on objectives. having C4 be require to blow up a generator or control panels creates much better strategic use of it (LA would focus on getting inside to take out shield generators rather than playing the evil fairy godmothers to the tankers) and would give engies a bit more to do in offensive ops
  19. HUNTERANGEL121

I think I have a fair say in this....
    95% of my play time is spent playing engineer.
    Be creative with your mine placement. Also, I only play engi to drop ammo and repair allies...

There's nothing wrong with the class lol. Wish I was able to transfer an assault rifle to engi though....
  20. Smoovious

I would think being able to carry more AP than AV would be more realistic... just from the amount of explosive in them.

AP depends more on the shrapnel to kill, while AV would need more of the blast itself to melt through metal alloy and break it apart.

-- Smoov