Let's Make Adrenaline Pump Viable

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by FriendlierFire, Dec 23, 2013.

1. FriendlierFire

Despite the recommendation in the PS2 wiki, it's widely considered that adrenaline pump simple does too little to pick over great options like nanoweave, grenade bandolier, or really any of the other suit slots. As a class unique suit slot, I think adrenaline pump should be at least a viable choice. Leveling the playing field is easy, lets go over a few ways to do so.

The most basic answer, give additional speed. Add another level of adrenaline pump for 100-300 credits, that adds another 5-10% speed. A total of 20% sprint bonus might be too much, I'd start with a 5% bonus personally. Simple testing would discover the right value. Obviously, sprinting speed is a useful trait, just currently the difference is too small.

Want to limit the top speed of infantry? Well there are other things it could effect. The strongest might be shortening the time it takes to sight your gun. Other similar actions that could take a small speed increase: weapon switching, reloading, melee.

Another route would be to improve all movement speeds: walking, sighted, crouched, etc. This goes right along with the benefits of 'moves faster' but would keep the top speed of any infantry from being too high, if that is a concern. Personally, I think just adding another level for more sprint speed bonus would be the simplest and best solution.

So I hope you consider this SOE.
    • Up x 10
  2. Dis

Surgile quadshot nubhammer?

I've already lived that nightmare. Although a speed increase would be fun if they could figure out a way to keep it from derping the netcode all to hell.
    • Up x 1
  3. BlazingTiger

hhahaha... Hey buddy, are you referring to PS1 where the NC uses surge to zigzag in and pump you with the Jackhammer!?? Lol that's my thing!

To the post, currently, I'm using the adrenaline pump on my LA. I benefit alittle from it and it could be situation sometime. I do agree that they should do something about.
  4. FateJH

The Icarus Jumpjets are an example in this game where things moving too quickly causing netcode issues. The LA's now-absent vertical-oriented boosters were removed for virtue of causing a nightmare desync between model and hitbox.
  5. Snowzak

adrenaline pump should give you a 20% speed boost and let you double jump. they can sell a baseball bat for 1000 smedbucks

BONK!!!
    • Up x 1
  6. K2k4

I have always thought it should add a 'f' ability which gives you a burst of speed in the direction you were traveling.
    • Up x 3
  7. Sandpants

All this netcode mumbo jumbo - MAX's charge doesn't make the hitbox fly to the moon. Doesn't matter how long it lasts...

A great buff for AP would be decrease in melee recovery time. So we can knife more often.
    • Up x 1
  8. FriendlierFire

I really like this idea, it could even take from your jetpack fuel if they feel it necessary, but it adds a strategic ability, which is more fun then just passives.

Great point on maxes. Heck, we have ESF's flying 300km and no one complains about their hitboxes. While they are larger, adrenaline pump will still be an order of magnitude slower.

As for knifing, I personally like where knifes are. Good as a finisher in close range, not as a viable weapon to run around double knifing people constantly. Of course, it could help using knifes on multiple people, getting your gun back up faster after finishing the first enemy. It would be interesting to try.
    • Up x 1
  9. Baconite

Make adrenaline pump the LA's passive ability?

Light Assault have been the topic of plenty of discussions about filling in their secondary ability slot. Considering that LA's need time to flank for maximum effectiveness, giving them the flat 10% run speed buff without having to sacrifice Flak/Nano etc. would be pretty sweet for me.
    • Up x 2
  10. asdfPanda

I'd rather have a buffed adrenaline pump than a "support" tool. Or what K2k4.
    • Up x 1
  11. LucasPiazon

Adrenaline pump should improve every aspect of speed. ADS movement and transition speed, draw speed, reload speed, sprint speed, crouch walk speed, etc.
    • Up x 2
  12. FriendlierFire

While it would be sweet, and I certainly wouldn't mind a LA buff, but I think that is in the wrong direction. That leaves an almost unnoticable speed increase, and instead lets LA use the suit options everyone else does. Forget Flak/Nano, let the speed of a LA be their method of survivability! Let adrenaline pump be effective enough, when used correctly, to compensate.
    • Up x 1
  13. Iridar51

Yes, by all means, let's make Adrenaline Pump viable. I encourage you to proceed, you have my blessings.
    • Up x 2
  14. Sandpants

Instantaneous sprint speed when AP is equipped.

At least on the test server to try out.
  15. CaptainAmeda

Agreed, it's not very viable, I like it, but the benifit is to small I thinks.

Should be 2 levels, first is 100, second is 200 certs.

Level 1, 15% increase sprinting speed.
    Level 2 20% increase sprinting speed, 10% speed bonus to all other movement.
  16. Iridar51

EDIT:
    *Bitter comment that serves no other purpose than to humiliate participants of this discussion for believing anything they say here could possibly have any effect on adrenaline pump in near future.
    Bonus bitterness points for me being frustrated out of my mind by MAXes*
  17. CaptainAmeda

Yes indeed, we should put this in the suggestions forums, and all go there to back it up, what say you?
  18. Sandpants

Should spam PM to all devs instead. Suggestions forum will simply bury it under suggestions for toast hood ornament for flash.

..."Quick Toast".
    • Up x 1
  19. CaptainAmeda

20. Iridar51

Oh, I know! Let's make an Adrenaline Pump Shotgun!