Launcher loads and then disappears without error

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by iProtocol, Feb 24, 2013.

1. iProtocol

Played this game fine since release but as of yesterday when I start the PS2 launcher from Steam I get the spinning launcher loading icon and then the launcher just disappears without throwing an error.

Any clues what this might be?
  2. BenYeeHua

Steam community HUD.
  3. iProtocol

No idea what you're implying by that, I don't see how this has anything to do with Steam. I cleared out the cache folder for the launcher, I get prompted for login and accept EULA and then it crashes again.
  4. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

There are a few different issues which may be causing this problem for you, so you may need to try a few things to get into the game:

1. Please ensure that you have added an exception within your Firewall or Anti-Virus software for planetside2.exe, launchpad.exe, awesomiumprocess.exe, and ApplicationUpdaterService.exe.

The location of these files can vary, but by default they should look like this:
    C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.exe
    C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\PlanetSide2.exe
    C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.libs\AwesomiumProcess.exe

PS2 & Anti-virus Software

2. You may need to clear the cache settings for the launch pad by going to the launchpad.libs folder in your PlanetSide 2 directory and delete the launchpad.cache folder then try accessing the game once again.

3. The launcher may have been corrupted and will need to be repaired before it will work correctly. You can repair the launcher with the launcher set up file from the following link:

https://launch.soe.com/installer/PS2_setup.exe

Let me know if that helps.
  5. iProtocol

1. I have exceptions in the windows firewall. As a test I disabled it and it didnt make a difference. I turned off my anti virus also which didn't help, I don't see how this can be related to either. Exceptions are in the firewall.
    2. I have tried clearing the cache, after clearing the cache I'm prompted for login and accept the EULA, after which the launcher crashes again.
    3. I ran your file and pointed it to the Planetside 2 install directory in the steamapps folder, did not help.

Try reinstalling the game?
  6. Santiak

Firstly, I've reported this problem numerous times, and basically just got the answer "don't use steam".
    The gamelogs reports problems with replacing some files in the libs folder and various other places, can't recall the details, but as I said, reported it back in December. Anyway, more on topic:

Try removing the libs folder from your Planetside 2 folder, this should force you to login at the launcher.
    This should give you enough time to try to validate files before the launcher crashes. It may crash again, but try launching it again and see if the update is being applied.
    If it continues crashing after that, try it again (The main issue is "validating files", you don't have to remove the libs folder each time, just run the validation tool (not the steam one)).
    Eventually, it will succesfully replace the files and apply the update.

On a side-note, this happens each and every time a new update is required, with or without admin rights and exceptions to all 3 of the above mentioned executables, with or without removing the libs folder, sometimes even just restarting the launcher multiple times will help - as if it just needs to get the first file down to not panic and crash :p
    Sorry if I sound miffed, I just find it odd they'd release the game on Steam, and not do something about such an annoying and basic bug by now. Oh well. :)
    • Up x 1
  7. iProtocol

Unfortunately it crashes instantly everytime so I can't reach the validate feature, I just see it blink by in a split second...
  8. PlanetRobinson

Try to delete %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\Sony Online Entertainment
    It was a solution for me.
    • Up x 1
  9. Marinealver

yup had that, after a couple of replies got told the minimum specifications are not good enough. So shoping around to buy a custom desktop with a hexacore cpu 16GB ram NVidas state of the art graphics card. When I get it all together I may start playing again assuming my sub hasn't ran out.
  10. Razeal18

thank you , Its now C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\LocalLow\Daybreak Game Company But After I deleted and re validated I was able to launch and the damn screen stayed up finally.
    • Up x 1
  11. Voldetort

You sir are a gent and a scholar thank you very much