Launcher crashes silently

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by DeusExBoomstick, May 10, 2013.

1. DeusExBoomstick

I've tried updating my graphics drivers and reinstalling Planetside, but my launcher crashes before the news is loaded. This didn't happen until the most recent update.
  2. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

Please ensure that you have added an exception within your Firewall or Anti-Virus software for planetside2.exe, launchpad.exe, and awesomiumprocess.exe.

The location of these files can vary, but by default they should look like this:

Win7/Vista/Win8

C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.exe
    C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\PlanetSide2.exe
    C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.libs\AwesomiumProcess.exe

Windows XP

C:\Program Files\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.exe
    C:\Program Files\\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\PlanetSide2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.libs\AwesomiumProcess.exe

PS2 & Anti-Virus Software

You may need to clear the cache settings for the launch pad by going to the launchpad.libs folder in your PlanetSide 2 directory and delete the launchpad.cache folder then try accessing the game once again.

If your problems persist, please reply back.
  3. DeusExBoomstick

I have all the exceptions added, and deleting the Launchpad.cache folder just means I get to see the login boxes and the EULA before it crashes.
  4. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

The launcher may have been corrupted and will need to be repaired before it will work correctly. You can repair the launcher with the launcher set up file from the following link: https://launch.soe.com/installer/PS2_setup.exe

Let me know if that helps.
  5. DeusExBoomstick

I just tried that. Still getting the same problem.
  6. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

That is incredibly strange, I would like you to submit a ticket thru our support system (instructions found in my signature) including your DXDiag and MSinfo32 information (instructions also included in my signature). Once you've done that (if you haven't already), shoot me a PM including the incident # of your ticket, and I will be more than happy to take a look when I can.
  7. DeusExBoomstick

I should also add that the launcher for the Test server works just fine.
  8. Coors916

Mine does exactly the same as the OP. Only since recent update, no problem before. Very frustrating.

I should also mention that I did all the steps above with no joy. I'm not really keen to have to spend $$ on bandwidth to reinstall the game... if that would help.:(
  9. Coors916

Bump:

Just submitted a ticket also.

#130513-000115
  10. TheLastRyano

Try running it as Administrator, this fixed a similar issue a friend was having since the last big update, no idea why or if its the same issue, but no harm giving it a go.

Hope this helps.
  11. TGxGriff

I Have the exact same problem, tried all of the above steps and have also submitted a ticket
  12. LonelySloth

I'm having the same problems as you guys. None of the above are helping! Guess all we can do is hold out and pray for salvation in the form of a fix...
  13. SifuBob

Click the shortcut icon
    Launcher crashes silently
    Sad times are had now
  14. Gen. Fussypants

I am also having this exact issue. I have tried anti-virus setup, deleting the cache, and running the ps2setup.exe. I still crash silently after the EULA.
  15. Gen. Fussypants

Follow-up:

If I edit "LaunchPad.ini" in my PS2 live installation and add in "environment=test" then the launcher will properly login and start downloading the test client updates. If I remove this line or change the text from "test" to "live" it will immediately crash again after the EULA.

If I go over to my PS2 test server installation and remove the "environment=test" tag then the launcher will immediately crash after the EULA.
  16. Gen. Fussypants

After combing through more posts by other people I finally learned how to fix this issue (thanks to all the EU guys launcher problems).

Delete (or rename) the folder at "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Sony Online Entertainment". This will cause the launcher to rebuild itself.
  17. MarcusValerius

I am having this same issue, and unfortunately deleting the appdata cache isn't working for me.

Ticket #130601-000804
  18. Santiak

Just going to add; I reported this problem back in late december, and the problem still persists.

Updating is such a hazzle - each and every update since release has pretty much required me to try various things, often without luck, and sometime with a sudden burst of luck, having the update applied.

Tried clean install, formatting, no active anti-virus or firewall, admin rights to all game-related executables, renaming paths, no "foreign" lettering. Nothing helps.

Someone's going to get repeatedly blasted by my Scattercannons once I finally get in-game :\
  19. vulcan78

I am having this problem now, I already had planetside2.exe added to the list of exceptions with AVG Anti-Virus so I also added launcher and awesomium, and also tried repairing the launcher and opening the game "as administrator". None of this works. The launcher crashes now matter what. To be honest I barely play this game anymore, first it was the problem with PhysX and crashes, that SOE pretends that they don't know about or that there is an actual solution being worked out, the poor optimization and now its little things like oh uhmmm not being able to open the game for no apparent reason that make me feel like leaving for good.

Edit: This solution from Fussypants worked.

"After combing through more posts by other people I finally learned how to fix this issue (thanks to all the EU guys launcher problems).

Delete (or rename) the folder at "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Sony Online Entertainment". This will cause the launcher to rebuild itself."
  20. mgr0700

"Sony Online Entertainment" deleting this folder doesent work for me ;( still silient crush after few second