Latest Nvidia Driver (361.43) Freezes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ChUnKiFieR, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Alkasirn

I actually did go and update my driver as it was kind of broken - as you can see, Experience thought 337.88 was up to date in 2016 (and Shadowplay never worked). Now after updating drivers... Shadowplay is still broken and I'm going to have to wait for another driver to see if the update works now.

But at least my GTX 760 was able and is still able to see an explosion in PS2 without killing performance. Then again, 80% of explosions have never rendered since the performance updates for me anyway so...
  2. Taemien

I'm running 359.06 with no issues in PS2. And Shadowplay works fine. With GTX 970.

I do see the Black Screen occasionally. But I'm not sure that's a driver issue. It only happens when tabbing in and out (more than I normally do), and with EVGA PrecisionX running (that I can tell). I'm not even sure PrecisionX is a cause as I haven't had it happen enough times to test. The only constant is tabbing in and out alot.

If I don't tab out at all it never happens.

Haven't updated drivers since they've been Game Ready Drivers for games I don't own.
  3. ChUnKiFieR

I'm guessing because everyone's system is a little different? Consider yourself lucky.
  4. Shiaari

LOL you act as if this is some random thing. These are computers, not random hereditary issues we have no control l over. If a piece of software is running well on other computers except for yours, it doesn't mean you're unlucky, it means you built a machine that's not optimized to run it, or built a machine with old hardware that's being deprecated, or some other reason for which you are entirely responsible.
  5. ChUnKiFieR

I made the most innocuous statement possible and you're going to troll me for it? Amazing!
    Oh and by the way, you made my point for me. Thank you.
  6. chayne

Mine was freezing also so I bumped up the voltage on my gpu .3 V and it hasn't. Frozen since.
  7. Goretzu

Honestly everyone needs to learn that new drivers aren't always better drivers. Once upon a time that use to be the case (Nvidia drivers used to genuinely be excellent and amazingly backwards compatible), but for the last 5+ years you're basically as likely to have serious problems with new drivers as improvements.

The method I use now (after having been burnt far too often by terrible driver updates that bork my GPU and annoying rollbacks) is to stick with the solid stable driver releases until I have problems with them on the games I play, and then upgrade only after I've read forums about the issues of new ones.

Fair enough if you've got their latest very bleeding edge GPU you might need to update more than that, but otherwise it is genuinely more trouble that it is worth.
  8. ChUnKiFieR

Here here. I've learned this lesson the hard way as well. Yes I agree new card new driver, for a while then just hold steady until a problem arises.
  9. Shiaari

Your statement wasn't innocuous at all. It was insubstantial, off the cuff, poorly thought out bullsh***.

This has nothing to do with luck, and everything to do with knowledge.

If anyone is trolling anyone, it's you trolling me with that kind of tripe. The question, "How come I'm not having this problem," is rhetorical. It serves as a spring board to another less rhetorical question: "What the hell are you doing wrong?"

His game is performing poorly because he's running it on dated hardware, not because of luck. You coming to his defense with this "You're just lucky," crap is passive aggressive nonsense. Say what you mean, and give it some thought. What was your point? Say it.
  10. ChUnKiFieR

All I can say to you friend is,, seek help,,, for your anger issues! And congratulations for earning a spot on my ignore list.
  11. ChUnKiFieR

That's good to know. I'll have to keep that one in my back pocket in case I need a heavier kind of fix in the future. Thanks.