Latency and Ping

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by NC supporter, Feb 15, 2015.

1. NC supporter

I run an i5-4670K at 3.4Ghz with a GTX 760 and with 14 GB available in the hard drive. I also have no viruses on my PC and I run all settings on high. Yesterday, my fps was at around 60 and above with no hitching or lag. The ping was good and everything was running smoothly. I never had any major issues with ping and lag before but starting from today, I found that my ping increased by a lot. I now had a ping of up to 40,000 even though my router was not overheating and I was running via ethernet. My skype was also running and there was no lag on skype as well. The only lag was in the client even though my fps didn't drop one bit. I tried restarting my computer and restarting my router as well as playing without skype on. Nothing worked and I also tried validating my game files which were up to date. Could anyone give some advice or some input on why this is happening? The last time this happened was a while back and even then, after one restarting of the computer, it was fixed.
  2. RealmDweller

Getting a lot of horrible lag lately myself... have an FX6300, R9 280X and 8GB DDR3 with a 92Mb internet connection speed... nothing but stuttering any time i get into what would be a good fight. Wondering if SOE changing hands has anything to do with it, like a downgraded infrastructure.... wasn't great last month, but was still way better then, than it is now.
  3. Goretzu

If you're playing on the EU servers it is almost certainly not your issue, but rather a server one, it has been a serious issue for about a month now (over and above the issue that the EU servers have had for years now anyway).

Basically the EU servers seem to be largely unplayable now, especially in prime time in anything like a big fight.

They are supposedly fixing it, but when, if ever, that will happen who knows.

I've pretty much given up trying to play because going from 60ms-150,000ms randomly is just aggravating.
  4. DK22

just log out your 'char' and log back in and all will be fixed, never fails.
  5. Abstalav

I don't see that it fixes anything. I can log out and log in 10 times in a row and still get a 'bad' connexion and 40,000+ ms latency.

I'm playing on EU servers from Switzerland and what I have been experiencing for several weeks now is similar to what a lot of people seem to be experiencing too: most of the time (I mean, most of the time when I actually try to play), the game is totally unplayable, with latency values climbing up to 20'000 ms or more, and people and vehicles flying and teleporting all over the place. While it's funny at first to see flying sunderers or lightnings doing somersaults and people running through the air or half buried in the ground, it gets old pretty fast, because trying to play is basically useless.

Two things need to be emphasized IMHO:

1) It's a 'new" problem. I mean, several weeks old. Beginning of 2015, or between Christmas and New Year, I can't remember exactly when it started. I don't know what was changed, but something must have been changed for the worse, because it never happened as systematically before. There were times when the game was unplayable, for example just after updates, but it didn't last so long and I never had day after day after day of terrible conenxion and latency before.

2) It's not a permanent condition. On week days, it's usually just fine in the mornings (until 12:00 CET or later, like 2:00 or 3:00 PM), with good connexion and latency around 60 ms max. Then things get worse, and most days I can forget about playing after 5:00 PM and for the whole evening. On weekends, it seems to get bad much sooner, and playing after 11:00 AM is about impossible.

Well now, maybe I should thank SOE for helping solve my PS2 addiction by preventing me to play the game when I would have time to.

The funny thing is, at the exact same time when I can't seem to be able to get a decent connexion and latency (and from what I read on the forums I'm not the only one), there are a lot of people online who *seem* to be doing OK and actually playing. I have no idea how that's possible (I mean, they have a decent enough latency and I get like 40'000 ms??? Like there is a monstrous Internet traffic jam from my place to where the servers are located, but for some reason there is none from their place?).

From what I heard, SOE (or whatever they are called now) are trying to solve this problem one ISP at a time (mine is Sunrise, in Switzerland, if that can help). But doesn't it cost a lot of time and work? And wouldn't it be wiser to try to understand what created that disaster in the first place and solve it at the root? Because as I (and moste people) said, this is relatively recent, just a few weeks old actually.

And another question: did anyone note an improvement of late? Because as much as they say they are working on it, I didn't see any change yet.
  6. Pfundi

Same Problem here, southern germany. No improvement so far.
    I tried to tracer the server to find out if its me, but I couldnt find up to date server IPs
    I hope that one is correct: 69.174.194.165

When I pathping that one it shows me 50ms ping, than there is some random Telekom server with 99% packet loss and 4.69.162.238 (level3.Amsterdam1 server) with 99% packet loss as well. After that another Amsterdam1 server and the planetside server with a ping of 94ms at the end.
    So it seems to be an issue with multiple random Telekom servers and with that one level3 (when I try to locate this server it shows me its in the US...) server.
    My ingame ping shows 250ms and quality bad
    This problem with higher ping and reduced speeds affects my whole internet "experience" (YouTube n stuff, ya know)
  7. Nycnatws

Let's put it like this: If I would make a pile out of paper sheets in which the number of sheets equals the server ping these days and I would jump off that pile afterwards, I would have died by old age before hitting the ground...
    • Up x 1
  8. PhysicsGenious

You are Morgan Freeman of forumside.
  9. TheMercator

Pinged that IP from southern Germany right now, 32ms ping, no package loss, ingame the ping is also quite good.
    I will retry in the evening, hope it doesn't change :)
  10. user300115

It always changes in the evening. That is what we are talking about.
  11. Pfundi

*starts PS2 and hopes the game is playable for at least an hour*
    The very high ping time seems to shift more into the night, thats what I experienced. Normally it started at 5, yesterday I could play till 6:30
    90ms right now with 0% packet loss. Not brilliant, but okay *hops in his Prowler and drives off*