Lag compensation?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Haquim, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Haquim

It has finally pissed me off enough to actually start a thread about it.

I shot a guy in the back today, ran out of bullets and reloaded while he merrily proceeded to spray bullets over some of my fellow TR. When I was just about finished reloading my SOAS he died and gave me the kill.
    Ok, lag compensation. The info that he was dead didn't arrive for a second or two.

Later I ran around, came accross a HA who just pulled the clip out of his gun.
    I thought "hell yeah, a free kill". I aimed my gun at her head, decloaked - and caught a couple bullets with my face.
    She finished reloading and carried on. And yes, those were her bullets.

Could somebody please explain to me why when I am killing somebody he carries on like nothings happening until the lag catches up to him -
    While I myself can see things happening several seconds in the past but the bullets that have not been fired yet already kill me?

I don't have problems with that lag compensation business if everybody has those issues, but occurences like that make me feel like I'm the one being screwed over no matter what happens.
    And, understandably (I hope) I don't like this feeling.
    Not. One. Bit.
  2. BlueSkies

When that happens hit tab and check your ping as this sounds like extremely high latency.
  3. Haquim

I can confirm that this is usually the case. Interestingly enough also usually with "good" connection.

But that is not really my problem.
    My problem is that guy lives and kills for another 2 seconds.
    If I'm the one getting shot at its the other way around - I die before I even get shot...
  4. BlueSkies

The connection quality is just a rating of packet loss (good 0%, poor 1%, bad 2+%).
    But yeah, but of those (you shooting, and getting shot) are latency related. You're actually seeing and shooting at where he was 2 seconds behind real time... which can be really annoying for the people you're killing as they can run into a shielded room and then die 2 seconds later because you're lagging so much.