LA up for another NERF on Test Server (7/12)

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by RogueComet, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Compass

I have a better alternative solution, especially for Drifter.

1. Increase forward strafe speed to be as fast as strafe + forward currently is.
    2. Add the fix then.

So same achievable top speed as before, and no more super acceleration. I don't think anyone has said "LAs fly too fast yet." Especially those with Drifters.
  2. paradroid

I blame myself for using this in every Ampstation defense.
    With JJ6 holding forwards and going sideways you can get insane airtime off jump pads.
    This looks like its getting nerfed :(

This was filmed several GU's ago, still works.
    • Up x 1
  3. Daibar

i've done that as well.. great for stopping a generator getting blown up.
    my longest jump was 763 meters from the south-west warpgate before they took the east tower out.
    could jump from the center tower to the base south-east of the warpgate.
    was fun as hell when you were defending or attacking it, you could be back in about 25-40 seconds(after respawn) if you timed it right.

with jumpjets, none of that drifterjet stuff

edit: i actually found one of the early jumps, was when i was teaching my members to do the jump.

4. paradroid

I've done SW warpgate to Ceres BioTech using the Jump pad to get to one of the warpgate defensive towers (was last time NC held SW, my net is down right now, haven't played GU12) also done Rashnu biolab to the base of Rust Mesa.
    I've also used the northern warp gate and teleported to one of the defensive towers and then used the jump pad to get to NS Salvage.
    Another Rashnu trick is to launch from Rashnu Cavern and land on the South landing pad of Rashu Biolab you then just waltz right into the base and the shield gen usually isn't guarded from the south.
    btw Daibar, your vid is set to private, I couldn't watch it
  5. Daibar

ah, sorry, i lock most of my stuff down because i wrote tactics and strats for my outfit and put it up for video to make it easier to spread around.

it's open now to link people
  6. S0LAR15

Check out the new C4! Epic fail.
  7. Compass

Sounds like a nerf on fun rather than a nerf on OP.
  8. Alarox

... this is just a bug fix that you're all getting melodramatic and full of self-pity over.

What should you be upset over is the C4 nerf.
    What you should be happy over is how test server Esamir is now Light Assault heaven. No really, check it out. Its almost as if every base was designed with Light Assaults in mine.
  9. S0LAR15

Dude, you've played LA for 6 hours....I've played it for 28 days on my main alone. I'm not having a go at you, but it stand to reason I've got more familiarity with LA. This is possibly an even bigger nerf than the C4 for LA. This has effectively neutered any high level, skill ceiling play for LA.

The change on PTS, is a big nerf to mobility, flanking and combat prowess in CQC. Some base changes only on Esamir, don't change this.

Speaking of which:
    High walls might look good on the face of it on PTS, but how it plays out in live? Maybe some LAs will get some nice farm for the first day before people back right away from the high walls that LA can reign doom from. What I see is, a week after those high walled bases go Live people will be camping at the towers, well back from the walls focusing, attention on the narrow entry ways and with obvious vision of the top of the walls. They'll stop tank spam, and camping on the outside of them will reach epdicemic levels as the many cowardly campers in the game won't go through a killing-breach in a big wall.

Need to see how those bases play out on Live. But I certainly don't see them as an LA buff, simply another thing good engis will mine up the wazoo.
    • Up x 1
  10. Alarox

What does it really change? I've seen plenty of complaints, but I haven't seen anything like a video that actually shows the difference between then and now.

You're right, I barely have any time played on Light Assault, so all I have to go off of is what you guys that play it tell me, and so far you haven't told me much.

I just don't have enough information to say "this is a horrible nerf for Light Assaults" because nobody has really expressed what this changes.

I'll fully admit I'm wrong once someone explains the specifics. Maybe its just my fault for going off the OP who, at the time of the change, just screamed NERF NOO NERF NOO without actually knowing what it changed, which makes me skeptical.

You're a BR 100 with 28 days played with a Light Assault, so I'll probably trust your take on this. So tell me, specifically, what this changes, and I'll concede its a nerf and campaign with you guys. Until someone can quantify this change to be more than a minor bug fix, I don't see any legitimacy in complaining.
  11. S0LAR15

Well the change has so many facets
    1. It is harder to change direction in the air, much slower and fuel intensive, both are bad, one for your flight time, and the other for making you a sitting duck.

2. Falling to gain retainable speed no longer works. You could gain speed for us in maneuvers through falling, essential fro escape and combat. Now any speed from falling is lost as soon as you activate the jump jets.

3. Moving forwards then sideways could grant, IF, you circle'd with it, more speed. In a way, it's like abusing Vthrust to fly backward in an ESF. You could JJ off a high platform, fall, gain some speed, before strafing sideways, lets say right, and aiming lef,t to in effect push your self with more speed. Making you harder to hit, using this to round corners was useful. Yet it was balanced by the fact you couldn't do it all the time, due to fuel consumption, and jumpping CoF is HUGE, so you had to be in CQC, with a CQC lser sighted weapon to use this midair. The speed Maxed was comparable to a sprinting infantryman, nothing crazy. Now this is undoable. You could float around a corner if you want, but you'd be slow and easy meat.

4. Jump pads momentum could be added in the same way as in 3,

as shown here
    5. Since these changes were also applied to drifters, it seems as though the forward speed on jump jets, sprinting forward then jetting, has been nerfed to make it travel forwards slower and with less acceleration. This is one of the worst parts, your flanking is slower and more costly, and your jumps hence more limited in range.

All of it together is simply grounds to not bother anymore with LA anymore. Already, on Live, good flankers like myself, have to contend with 15 "elite" mine placers which necessitate flak, HAs who beat you 1v1 75% of the time making you need nanoweave, shotguns on other classes destroying you in your most effective range, and now our C4 is getting tamer, we have no tool, and the carbine is the weakest weapon class. Need more be said? Radar flashes, infil darts, audible jet pack easy to pick out, easy to spot, spot duration covers the ebtire time you will remain alive in CQC in amongst the enemy.

Hell a HA with adrenaline shield, right through the front door is just as good as a flanking LA currently! I know because I've been doing it as a change of scene quite a lot lately. LMG mowing down 8 - 10 guys a clip, and close range rocketing clusters of guys can give you an insane amount of shielding. Plus you have the option of just holding back and farming round a corner, which even though pussyish, is still fun since it frustrates the dead.
    • Up x 3
  12. RogueComet

I just did some preliminary tests. The ability to add strafe speed to our forward speed gives us an approximately 15% increase in the distance (straight line, level terrain) that we are able to make. Lowering the distance that we are able to use with our jets by 15% is actually extremely significant. On test server, I was unable to make some of my favorite long-distance jumps using the jets anymore. While 15% distance doesn't sound big, it actually is when those of us who use JJs a lot are used to every single little bit of distance we can squeeze out of them. Hell, even adrenalin pump gives only a 10% boost!

Solar15 is right too with his descriptions about how it allowed us to zip around corners quickly. The thing he didn't mention is you are moving at an angle. It doesn't matter that your CoF is HUGE, it doesn't matter that you practically have to run either advanced laser or HSNV scope, it doesn't matter that our jets are limited by fuel. The thing that people always seem to forget is, when moving at an angle, OUR GUNS ARE NOT POINTED AT YOU if you are in front of us! It actually takes a lot of practice to be able to do this in such a manner that you can consistently hit a target. I myself have spent 40+ of hours practicing the skill in the warp-gate with terminals nearby to get proficient at it. I've even tried teaching it to others and I'd say 95% of them say "Damn that's hard, I'm not going to bother." This number isn't exaggerated either, since I've taught over 100 people this circle-strafe technique and I'd guess of those 100, maybe 5 are using it with any kind of decent basis.

The other thing that those of us like about the old method is it gave us extra survivability on the battlefield. We don't have the ammo/distance/clip sizes of HA or Medic. We don't have the shield of HA. We don't have the heal ability (F) of Medic. We don't have anything but those jets to keep us alive. Now they are nerfing the speed at which we move on those jets (15% distance... so is that 15% speed? possibly, not easy to test), the only thing that was keeping us alive on the battle field. So in effect, we will die even more often. If you claim that this isn't entirely true, please PLEASE look at how the movement bonus from ZOE for MAXes has way too many TR and NC in an uproar because they are unable to kill the VS MAXes now. Clearly, making it so this speed decrease happens, will have a direct effect on the survivability of a class that already survives less than any other class in the game.
    • Up x 1
  13. S0LAR15

It is hard to be able to trigger the speed and to use it in the right place, tee it up for a doorway, and also to aim whilst it's all going on. I'd say only a fraction of LAs use it, but it does represent the skill ceiling for sure.

The general speed nerf and the smaller range it imparts is a massive nerf to mobility and flanking and can't even get my head around it.......
  14. MrGhosty

I've just started using the LA consistently and the ability to radically change direction quickly is why I've been using it. I can't see why this would even be an issue to them, for the most elaborate jumps it requires players to put time and skill into pulling that off and it doesn't really confer a huge advantage as far as kills are concerned. The flying circle strafe has been the difference between winning a firefight for me several times so I'm going to be majorly bummed if this breaks that. Ah well, back to being an ammo monkey I suppose...
    • Up x 1
  15. Paqu

LA is my most played class by a big margin, but lately I have been HA quite a lot. Nano 5 + resist shield makes me win 90% of 1v1 situations unless if Iam facing another HA with similiar setup and just the overall difference on staying alive compared to LA is huge.

I really dont understand this "bug fix" which is hard hit to the LA. The new ability to glide on ground level with drifters has been fun to use even tho it has couple big drawbacks. First it only works on perfectly flat ground and you have huge COF. Top speed is about 20-30% faster than what infantry can run. I haven't seen anyone complain it being OP and it sure doesn't feel like it either. Its just fun.

But then I went to test server to see how it performs in there.. omg. You can barely even get to running speed and it keeps stalling all the time. The stalling might just be a bug but since the speed is the same as running or even slower whats the point of using it?

I just did a quick test with JJ's and yeah they are much worse as well as you dont gain any extra speed while going downwards and tapping the jet at the same time.

Also when you consider that people complain pretty much everything on this forum, I still haven't seen a thread complaining about LA being too fast.

Good thing is that they have pulled back the planned C4 nerf. I mean if that would have gone live among with the speed nerf it would have been hard to find a reason to press the LA icon instead of HA in the spawn screen.
  16. TeknoBug

When it affects FORWARD movement speed? Hell I can sprint faster with adrenaline pump than drifter going forward on PTS.
  17. Fang7.62

So this will W+A/D speed for drifters? Oh ffs why they have to nerf all the fun stuff I use.
  18. RogueComet

Not just drifters, normal jets too. Pretty lame yeah. Not like we could abuse it. Not really. If that was the case, there would'a been a whole lot more people using it. Nope!
  19. Fang7.62

SOE and their constant fixes of what doesnt need fixin meanwhile other blatantly broken stuff stays.
    • Up x 1
  20. deggy

It's the same thing they did to the Magrider, apparently being as fast as a Racer 3 Vanguard was OP...

I just hope they didn't screw you guys up as badly as the initial patch screwed the Mag. Hopefully you'll just be reduced to your "true" top speed while combining strafe and forward movement, the Mag got its torque reduced badly, too, and pilots had to wait for the hotfix to correct it.

SOE has a bad habit of misplacing the nerf-bat and getting out the nerf-sledgehammer instead.