LA tool: Strobe Drone.

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Sandpants, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Sandpants

Equip, lock up in a similar fashion to a lock on launcher, then throw.
    It flies up and start blinking erratically and blinds the victim. Like a targetted flash grenade.
    Will stop eventually, or until shot down.

Pros: Awesome

Cons: Epilepsy?
    Kinda OP in 1v1 or small scale.

Compromises:
    It detracts from the momentum. I keep using this word. But basically LA don't have to equip any fancy gadgets to do their tricks currently. So they are totally focused on offensive devices in their hands meaning that the left mouse button is gonna hurt someone, somewhere, at some point in time. This however puts the LA in a vulnerable state for the time it takes to equip the drone, lock on, equip the gun. You can hypothesize this could take a good 5-7s.

I would assume similar lock on mechanics as launcher should be applicable here - the further the victim is the longer it takes to lock, with some low end threshold of something like 3 seconds giving a close assailant plenty of time to down the LA preventing the use of this from extremely short distances.

Would it overlap with flash? I doubt it. Flash grenades are not very reliable and mostly situational. You throw them when you know you can catch multiple people with them. And it's effect is proportional to the detonation radius. The strobe drone would be a lot more reliable with the downside of it being clumsy, but a strong tool when used with care (and shot carelessly).

Also, due to the limitations I would expect it to have poor AI and thus poor application indoors - which is ok. LA lack in open outdoor environment and this could cover the blind spot (or make one).

Venting the brainstorm machine - add it to the pile.