[Suggestion] LA Tool: Grenade Launcher

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Nehlis, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Nehlis

My suggestion for the LA Tool was already posted in the roadmap, but I made this separate post to go in-depth.
    Why a grenade launcher? Currently each class' tools refine and define their respective roles. The light assault, being the dedicated flanker, scout and ambusher, with the greatest vertical factor in gameplay needs a tool that complements this. The purpose of this tool is NOT to rack up kills with AoE, though that may be possible with a highly skilled player. It is to give the LA the ability to tactically disperse and damage groups of enemies, as well as to effectively harass armor.

The basic weapon idea is as follows:
    [Tool Name Here]
    Velocity: 60 m/s (or whatever current underslung grenade launcher is)
    RPM: 90
    Indirect damage: 400 at 0m to 1 at 5m
    Direct damage: 300
    Magazine: 4
    Reserve: 8

Currently the idea is that it takes 3 rounds to kill IF the target is within max splash damage range, and 2 if direct hits. With a re-fire time of 0.75 seconds, if travel time is not considered, that is a TTK of approximately 1.5.
    The grenade will also need time to arm in the air. So a minimum of 15-20 meters before splash damage occurs.
    It should also be able to do light damage to armor, with a full clip being the equivalent to a single dumbfire rocket in the same location, however direct hits are REQUIRED. Considering bullet velocity, drop, and lower damage, it is ineffective at dealing with armor at the same range as a full dumbfire rocket.

What it gives to LAs:
    The ability to harass armor from a range.
    The ability to deal strong damage to MAX units at a range.
    The ability to disperse squad formations.
    Enhanced ambush capability against groups of enemies and sow confusion.

In comparison to current underslung grenade launchers:
    Fires faster
    Deals slightly less damage to infantry from splash
    Deals slightly more damage to armor from direct hits
    Cannot OHKO on a direct hit
    Can fire 10 more shots before requiring more ammunition
    Would be considered a tool, taking up the tool slot exclusive to light assaults
    Slightly longer arm time (15-20m as opposed to 10-15)

Any thoughts from the community on this? I have ideas for empire specific variants if anyone likes the idea.
  2. Iridar51

Call it rocklet rifle and it's a deal.

Just joking. A light grenade / rocket launcher is often suggested for Light Assaults. I'm lazy to copy paste what I already said in other threads about this particular idea.
  3. Shootybob

I wouldn't use it. I find armor is sufficiently harassed by simply making my presence known. Against infantry it seems like it would simply tell them where I am and encourage them to murder me more quickly than they normally do.
  4. DatVanuMan

Just get a S variant of your basic weapon. You can get a grenade launcher using it:)
    • Up x 1
  5. Nehlis

I already got it. This is basically the expanded version of the underslung.
  6. DatVanuMan

Hmm...
    I always thought that an actual grenade launcher should be handed over to the Engineer. For the LA... I could see it work, but it may be difficult...
  7. Leivve

Don't care what, I need something that packs a large punch as much as I LOVE my C4, it does get repetitive since it's SO good I never consider anything else for my loadouts. No I don't even look at the health kits, because when I have them I always find a situation where I wish I had my C4. So something like this would be very nice, only change i would make is that it should do more damage to vehicles. 3 grenades = 2 rockets.
  8. LibertyRevolution

I want a deployable short distance jump pad as the light assaults tool.
    So I can help my team get over walls and onto towers, and to slingshot myself around with drifter jets.
  9. Nehlis

I was thinking something along the lines of that kind of power, but at the same time I'm trying to keep the tool from being too OP since it should be available to ALL light assaults as the class tool.
  10. Leivve

I would then drop the velocity to 50mps making it require you to be closer, and decrease the fire rate slightly more. So it punishes tankers who are caught with their pants down, but is not as effective as a "peekaboo" weapon.

I would also consider buffing top and side armor for tanks from 5% so that way they become more viable (mostly top)
  11. Nehlis

For faction unique launchers, here are a couple of concepts:
    Vanu- RFP Capricorn
    6 rounds in the mag. Fires highly volatile plasma shells with a short lived repulsion field, giving it a very strong bounce effect. It only detonates on the SECOND impact, or about one second after the first impact. It should be slightly weaker than the baseline grenade launcher, requiring around 4 hits to kill a healthy infantry. However it has a slightly larger minimum and maximum blast range to accommodate this. Somewhat difficult to use, it is capable of hitting targets completely out of sight of the light assault.

Terran- LL-12 Thunderstruck
    Has 2 times the fire rate of a normal grenade launcher, with 12 rounds per mag instead of 4. Each grenade deals half the damage of normal due to their compact nature, as well as having a smaller blast radius (1m max, 3m min). However, these grenades have a built in proximity detonator which activate when the projectile is within 0.5m to 1m of a viable target, and arm after a shorter length of time than normal, but have a much higher bullet velocity, meaning the actual arming distance is actually larger (25-30ish meters) making it ideal for longer range dispersal.

Conglomerate- Outcry MIRV-6
    Has only 1 round in the chamber. Each grenade travels significantly more slowly with a glowing outline and smoke trail (similar to a falcon). After 1 second in the air, right click to activate the multi-warhead function. The grenade bursts into 6 smaller warheads which scatter and detonate 2 seconds after release. Due to the slow velocity, the main body has extreme drop. If the main warhead collides with an object before splitting, it will not detonate. Each microwarhead can deal 2/3rds the damage of a normal grenade, with a blast radius similar to the LL-12. This means that the Outcry has possibly the largest potential burst damage, but the shortest effective range, and requires careful control, otherwise it will force the user through a long reload after each shot.

Any thoughts or criticisms on these?
    (Yes the Outcry is effectively a shotgun grenade launcher. It's NC after all)
    • Up x 3
  12. Leivve

Demoman from TF2 then

What makes me a good demoman? I spam the F*** **** ******* *** ******* ** ******* out of the screen!!

I don't know if theirs a person on that side of the base, but I'm going to find out!

Honestly though I do like the division between the 3 factions.
    • Up x 1
  13. Corezer

UBGL was nerfed because it got spammed, this is an even more spammy version, won't fly, regardless of balance.
  14. Skiptrace

Who cares? I want a friggin viable option for destroying vehicles besides C4, the damn stuff costs 100 Certs and I get maybe 1 cert per life as Vanu, it's even worse as NC or TR... That and UBGL sucks if you were going with anything under-barrel, UBS is better (Under-barrel Shotgun)
  15. Corezer

I'm not saying I disagree with you, I'm just pointing out the reality.