LA Purchase Order

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Mortuus, Dec 14, 2012.

1. gunshooter

You can fly. How are you getting into situations where you're getting hit by tank shells or grenades often? Grenades are a problem for direct combat classes who are in areas where grenades might actually be thrown, not LA's, and if you get hit by a tank shell you ****** up bad. Flak armor might come into play one life out of every 10, Nanoweave always works.
  2. Caracal

because we can fly everywhere... we never need to cross open terrain, we never need to go in doors, we dont need to worry about liberators, we dont try to c4 tanks, we never run into a HA that is good with a rocket. o_O

Besides, i dont know how you can argue this as stubbornly as you are. one upgrade prevents you from being one-shotted, the other lets you take a single extra bullet. Lets face it, most times, if you allow someone to get you in their sights, your dead anyway. Most times, being able to take one extra bullet wont make any difference. But, not being able to be one-shot by anything but a head shooting bolt action sniper makes a huge difference in how you play.
  3. Haemoglobin

I personally have found that the ability to carry +1 grenade or even +2 grenades is a much better option than the flak or the nanoweave armour. Coupled with a medkit you can do a lot of damage to infantry and the medkit will keep your health high.

Certainly an option worth considering.

Just not sure what to do about the Medkit/C4 choice.
  4. gunshooter

grenades are flat inferior to C4. C4 doesn't roll. You already do a lot of damage to infantry with 1 grenade+2x C4.

C4 isn't even a choice, it's a requirement. Medkit LA's=lol. Just play a HA if you're going to do that.
  5. Haemoglobin

My argument about the grenades was actually directed towards flak and nanoweave armour specs. Not the C4. Grenades and C4 gives you the best of both worlds obviously.
  6. Erendil

Medkits vs C4 is a personal choice depending on your playstyle. I choose Medkits (I have 3) because I prefer using a carbine to kill infantry and I can be pretty aggressive when I'm LA so Medkits come in handy for me and allow me to stay in the field for a lot longer while still getting to use a jetpack.

From my perspective, I could say C4 LA's=lol. Just use your grenades and carbine for infantry, and play HA if you want to attack vehicles. :p

To the OP, if your choice is between C4 or a suppressor I'd go with C4. The suppressor isn't all that great IMO. People can still hear your shots from quite far away (at least 50m), and most people don't pay attention to the minimap anyway so not showing up on it isn't that big of a deal. C4 OTOH has clear advantages and only 1 real disadvantage that I can see offhand (can't carry medkits).
  7. Wolfwood82

C4 is lowest on my priority list actually. I think Medkits would suit me better in most situations.

Honestly C4 is too expensive for something that expands your destructive power to 1 vehicle if you are extremely lucky. It costs far to many resources and the only thing I'd use it against would be turrets, but I don't want to waste time and resources planting 2 C4 blocks on a single turret.
  8. Ashur

Don't max jumpjets, I think 3 was the number people stated that actually work, everything else up until 6 is broken completely so you're just wasting certs.

Compensator does not work at all so that is also a waste of certs.
  9. Ashur

C4 isn't just for vehicles though, since you can often get a drop on a group of people you can use it + a grenade launcher to pretty much make a small crater where they use to be.
  10. Nuubo

One word: MAXes....

One C4 brick is, more often than not, a MAX insta-kill (sometimes with Engineer/Medic support too).
  11. Wolfwood82

One grenade from a launcher will work just as well and can be done on the fly, unlike C4 which requires careful prep and planning. I've killed several MAX suits with a well aimed grenade from my launcher.

As for infantry, again grenade launchers, shot gun, grenades, all of these things are more efficient then C4 is. The only thing C4 really lets you do above and beyond what you can normally do, is take out a damaged tank or turret.

It expands your target list in a very limited way into vehicles and aircraft. With such strict conditions under which you can utilize it, I found that I rarely if ever switched to C4 blocks in beta. Yet I often regret not having a medkit or medic handy.
  12. Nuubo

Even if the GL wasnt bugged, doing no dmg half of the time, one grenade doesnt kill MAX. Not even close. And C4 can be done on the fly aswell.
  13. Darkian

Tier 1 - 10% increase; 10% of 500 = 50, your HP is now 550. >>
    Tier 2 - 12.5%; 12% of 500 = 62.5,
    Tier 3 - 15%; 15% of 500 = 75,
    Tier 4 - 20%; 20% of 500 = 100,
    Tier 5 - 25%; 25% of 500 = 125,

Considering that the LA is a CQC fighter, and rarely engages in anything past 50 meters, we will use the damage of an NC LMG at 10m to calculate how many bullets it takes to kill at each tier, simply because it does the most damage at close range.

T1 = 6 bullets at 200 dmg per bullet, 5 without.
    T2 = 6 bullets at 200 dmg per bullet, 5 without.
    T3 = 6, 5 without.
    T4 = 6, 5 without.
    T5 = 6, 5 without.

This means at close range you can take 1 more bullet from a player using an NC LMG, at max rank, this is hardly beneficial to a player who is playing close range, and is playing TR or VS.

Now lets see how many bullets it takes with the TR LMG to kill a rank 1, and rank 5 Nanoweave, at 10 meters.

T1 = 8 bullets, 7 without; 143 damage, @ 10 meters.
    T5 = 8 bullets, 7 without.

This is negligible at close range for NC since the TR and VS have such a high rate of fire, that one bullet will be in you before you can gain any advantage.

Putting any points into nanoweave past the first 2 ranks is worthless for a LA since all the ranks only increase bullet TTK by 1, unless you are a person who fights at mid-long range, where bullet damage start to fall off. In CQC, 1 bullet will rarely make a difference due to high fire rates, and high damage.

One can argue that Flak armor is situational, but even flying around, I still have to land, and I still occasionally get caught near a nade, or by a tank shell, and I would rather be able to survive the shot and get away, rather then die without being able to react.
  14. gunshooter

You're entirely wrong, Jumpjets level 6 works fine and Compensator has never not worked.

6 bullets instead of 5 is 20% more survivability, always. 7 to 8 is still 14%. Discounting that while singing the praises of something that hardly ever actually comes into play? Yeah, you're biased. Discounting what is actually a significant advantage with hyperbole proves that.

If it was worded "You are 20% more resistant to bullets" I bet you wouldn't be trying to discount its usefulness.
  15. Ipecac

On a related note, has it ever been established whether flak armor mitigation works with shield+health or just the health portion of HP? I'd always kind of assumed it was the former or choosing between 25% health explosion resist vs 25% bonus health wouldn't have made sense, but then they buffed flak armor...
  16. Chrysalis

No love for shield capacitor I see. Has more applications than nanoweave ever will and it's pretty noticeable even at only rank 3.
    • Up x 1
  17. Wolfwood82

The only bug affecting it is that it requires a direct hit in order to trigger splash damage. If you're grenade hits near the feet it won't do damage. And scoring a direct hit on a MAX suit is fairly easy. Killed 2 today, one with bullets and the other with a couple of GL rounds.

The thing is pretty powerful as it is though, annoying when it fails yes but this particular bug in itself acts as a balance factor. I would have died a lot less had my GL worked 100% of the time.

If Nanoweave made you 20% more resistant to bullets then 20% of every bullet shot at you would be ignored. If something did 80 damage per shot against your 500 health rather then 100 damage per shot, that would be an advantage over you simply getting 20% more health and having 600 health against the targets 100 damage per shot. STK would go from 5 shots to 7 for resistance, and only 6 for health boost.

The math was done during beta, nanoweave is pretty much useless past a certain level. Meanwhile I notice a dramatic increase in my own survival if I wear flak rather then nano. Both are at level 2 for me right now.

I've yet to test out the shield much, though I imagine that will have the most advantages.

IF you get to level 6 jump jets, you get a significant boost over levels 2-5 because 2-5 don't work. However, the boost you get isn't worth blowing that many certs on it. For an LA starting out, I'd say stick with rank 2 JJs and put rank 6 on your to-do-later list along with C4 :p Take medkits or regenkits instead.
  18. Nash

I actually prefer using the Medkit over the C4 aswell. It just fits with my playstyle since i tend to camp weird spots and always hang around roofs (as you should.. you're a goddamn LA).
    Right now i've got 3 Medkits + 3 extra Mags trough the Ammo Belt. That sh*t is tight... running out of ammo during a nice killing spree always made me rage so hard... not anymore :)
    And as it has been proven already, surviving 1 extra bullet with the nanoweave armor is really not worth it. Flak armor is nice i guess but i rarely die of explosives... atleast not that much that it would warrant getting that cert instead.

Now if the could fix the medkit bugging out and reducing you to the health you had before using it.. that would be very nice.
  19. gunshooter

Really doesn't matter what you notice. You're barely self aware and pretty much everything you say is wrong. Good thing you hide your ign so I can't look up your below 1 KD.

Medkit LA's using Flak Armor who apparently get hit by enough explosions to notice a "dramatic increase in survival," who think that TR carbines don't have horizontal recoil. Can't make that up.
  20. Nuubo

Doesnt really matter how many you killed, because we dont know the exact situation where you killed them and how long you played.

For example, if you played for 10 hours, killing only 2 MAXes is very low number. Also, they could be completely in the open, without cover, they could have low hp already, someone else could be shooting them at the exact same time, they could have been focused on someone else, letting you shoot them freely, they could have "other than AI weapons" equiped, or they could just be realy really bad.... we dont know.

The point is, if you meet MAX and you are solo in CQC, you have only two options: run, or blow him up with C4. Good MAX will not let you kill him with your gun, he will either hide if you are out of range, charge you to get into his optimal range, or charge out and repositon.

Even if you find a MAX that doesnt know about you, the first free Grenade Launcher shot will not kill him, you will lose element of surprise and now you have an angry MAX that is looking for you. Now, if we repeat this situation with C4, many times you can just throw a brick under his feet without him realizing and blow him up instantly, no retaliation.