LA Jumpjet sound

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by NaySayer, Apr 16, 2013.

1. NaySayer

While I do agree that the jumpjet should make more noise, I don't think it should be as noisy while mid air. I think the initial loud sound that happens when you first get off the ground should play just then and when low on fuel, not while in mid air while controlling a glide. Suggestions? I am ready for your flames:mad:
  2. blzbug

This idea makes logical sense. The problem is that the JJ sound will fire every-single-time you hit the spacebar. Want to jump up on a little platform? WHOOSH! Hopping over a little rock? WHOOSH!

I dislike the changes to the jetpack sound. But if they are going to change, they need to not be infuriating for the user to live with. The current test version is horrendous. It seems reasonable to say "louder noise when you first launch", but that would also be a terrible quality-of-life problem for the LA user.

Perhaps a sound that starts out quieter, builds to its max volume over 3 seconds, then fades back down as the jetpack overcomes inertia? Then if you're just running around jumping over normal stuff, you don't get a big sound for every little jump. The real world physics don't make as much sense, but then we do have plasma guns... PS2's "real world" is different from our real world.
  3. Chemicalnurd

I love it, it helps stop the light assault being the best class for infiltrating.
    Not denying it can be a bit annoying though.
  4. Cl1mh4224rd

I just imagined this semi-comical sputtering sound if you're still holding the space bar when you completely run out of "fuel".
    • Up x 2
  5. Chemicalnurd

I just laughed.

This needs to be in.
  6. NaySayer

Lol the sputtering sound followed by a comical halt, awesome.
    Yeah, the explosion that happens anytime you press space is really annoying and will make LA the most underplayed class....
    Also, this is all around what, the year 2400?? The jumpjets sound like hand-crank started cars????o_O
  7. Xale

The process of pushing all the air out of the way is not something you can really make particularly quiet, never mind the ignition.

I also find it humerous you mention this for Jetpacks, and not the guns.
    • Up x 1
  8. Aquilae

i really think whatever they've done here is bugged. the sound varies constantly and i can't pin down why or what makes it change.

sometimes it's a fairly reasonable WHOOSH that while i'm not happy about, i guess is okay.

but then sometimes it's literally louder than a firing a gun, and is just ear-gratingly awful, to the point that it seems like the audio is distorted.

and there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to whether it does 'correct sounding whoosh' or 'gunshot played through a guitar amp''. it will do either or regardless of height off of ground, vertical movement speed, horizontal movement speed, fuel remaining, where you're looking, etc etc.
  9. NaySayer

Good point, just make everything silent, why not....
    And one click kills
  10. Ztiller

Or just the Jetpack noisy.
    • Up x 1
  11. NaySayer

I'm not saying make the jumpjet completely silent, just don't make it sound like an explosion every single time you press space.