LA and new Advanced Shield Capacitor

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Myrgatroid, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Navus

I think the point subito was trying to make is this:

I a straight up 1v1 fight NW is better since it gives more hp, however in a straight up 1v1, a LA should lose to an equal skill HA/medic etc. ASC helps support the hit and run playstyle since in theory the enemy should see you until you have already started unloading on them. Plus lets not forget that after 1 fight with NW unless your carrying medkits*which only dumb LA's would* you already start losing the usefulness of NW.

Corezer:
    subito didnt say anything initially that was pointed at you. *the simple fact that your stats would actually support him having an issue with you is meer coincidence. Word of advice, dont try to follow up with an insult about him not being able to get certs etc, without doing research and seeing he prob gets more certs in a night than you do in a week
  2. Frotang

^this man talks some sense! Definitely has a great role for a hit and run player, which I would assume the LA is the best choice for that play style. And with C4 taking my utility slot I find ASC extremely more useful than NWA, plenty of scenarios where somebody has gotten the better of me in a 1v1 or I was caught unaware but was able to escape with a few bars of health and ASC has allowed me to turn around quicker and meet the pursuing attacker with a full shield while hopefully I've already damaged them slightly from the previous engagement.
  3. Iridar51

My two cents
    I think ASC is good for long-range engagement classes, which can control how much damage they're subjected to by dipping in and out of cover. ASC would allow them to have less downtime between popping out and taking a couple of shots. ASC could be on engineers' (battle rifle), medics' or heavy assaults' long-range setups.

But as LA we just don't have effective weaponry for long range. LA is best with carbine, jumping around enemy, flanking and generally being in close proximity to the enemy, thus having a series of close engagements. Jet pack is very slow and simply doesn't have speed and reaction capacity to get us behind cover in time. So we can't control how damage we take and if that damage would go over our shields.

So I think proper Light Assault shouldn't roll with ASC over Nanoweave, because nanoweave decides if we live or die, ASC does so only in that 2.5 second window Corezor described. At all other times ASC is merely quality of live/convenience/less downtime thing.
  4. Corezer

what's funny is how you have absolutely no idea who you're talking to, while you tell me to watch who I am talking to. I don't mind if you judge me based on my KD on a release character when I have been using the same budget rig I built in 08, from PS2 release until may and didn't use [Corezer] after [I built this computer] until now.

If you took your own advice, you'd know that I know Delta Triad almost as intimately as Kansai's sheep.

*edit*
    Additionally, it is not up for debate on if the comment was pointed at me. It may not have been his intention, which makes him ignorant of that fact, but by quoting my post he directs the comment at the creator.
  5. Sock

Are you implying that you have sex with sheep? I think you meant to say "as intimately as Kanya knows his sheep."
  6. jak

I disagree with this completely. I'm rarely out in the open where I don't have a route to put something between me and enemies, which provides sufficient time for ASC to recharge. Usually, people are dumb enough to follow me as they assume I'm severely wounded and close in on the easy kill until they turn the corner and I have my shields back.

IMO, you're not playing LA properly if you don't have obstacles in close proximity that allow you to escape immediate danger, thus giving ASC a clear edge over NWA.
  7. MykeMichail

I've been using ASC on my LA and Medic for quite a while. The light assaults ability to escape, and the medics ability to self-heal has allowed me to take a few hits, get away for a few seconds, have my shield recharge (and in the case of the medic, my health recharge too), and come straight back at my opponent with full health and full shields before they're shields have even come back on.

This has proven quite a valuable tactic and the shorter recharge just makes it even more powerful.
  8. jak

The former is definitely how I read that... o_O
  9. Corezer

no, I say what I mean and I mean what I say, we are both men of taste.

something about the fur, it just does it.
  10. jak

Or you could just be overly sensitive for some unknown reason, but that's not up for debate so please don't be ignorant of that fact.
    • Up x 1
  11. Sock

Hey man, you do ewe, I'll do me.
  12. Corezer

but the thing is, NWA is already providing you with half of the damage absorption advantage ASC could possibly give, instantly. There's a lot of work and a lot of just plain luck of the draw involved for what is at best 2 more bullets before you die. The biggest advantage I can give ASC is it lasts until you die, where NWA lasts until you lose 250 hp without some way to regenerate, but these situations are rare on offenses and non-existant on d.

Or in a situation like Iridar described where we just stand out in a field with muskets and you regenerate while we both pack powder while I just get whittled away.
  13. Sock

I think it's an issue of personal preference/playstyle really. If you need the extra health and struggle in 1v1s, nano weave is the clear winner. Faster recharge doesn't help much when you're dead. However, if you feel confident in 1v1 engagements and your issue comes down to having shields up by the time you run into your second/third/fourth encounters, ASC is the way to go. I've always had ASC on my LA, so this was just a outright improvement for me.
  14. jak

Like I said, NWA looks fantastic on paper. Straight up damage reduction - cool.

However, in a game where you aren't lining up with muskets and with a class that offers arguably the best mobility, why would you not take advantage of an ability that a) plays to your strengths (the ability to reach cover), b) has the ability to provide 100% return quicker (assuming you don't lose health), and c) allows you to run, hide, and reengage an enemy before he can recover?

Not to mention the game isn't between you and one other guy - there are other sources of incoming damage that can leave you shieldless (and thus easily killed) for much longer than the mere 4 second differential on paper. That 4s can be a huge deal. Killing one guy is no big deal...having to hide for 10 seconds from his buddy and his buddy's buddy can be a huge deal.
  15. Iridar51

Like I said, ASC looks fantastic on paper. Straight up shield recharge time reduction - cool.

However, in a game where you aren't lining up with muskets and go to close combat instead, where TTK is measured in parts of a second, with a class that offers arguably the best mobility while having the worst long-range options, why would you not take advantage of an ability that a) plays to your strengths (the ability to NOT DIE in a straight shoot-out), b) has the ability to provide any return quicker (assuming you DID NOT DIE), and c) allows you to run, hide, and reengage an enemy before he can recover AFTER YOU DID NOT DIE?

Not to mention the game isn't between you and one other guy - there are other sources of incoming damage that can KILL YOU. Killing one guy is no big deal... Surviving a fight with the enemy and then go hide for 10 seconds to even have a chance to deal with his buddy and his buddy's buddy can be a huge deal.

And no need to insult anyone =\ forumside at it's best..
  16. jak

I'm not sure where I insulted anyone...

And my point was how something can look great on paper, but not necessarily translate as well in reality. I could write the above regarding flak armor as well if you would like.
  17. Iridar51

I agree, but since all we have is paper we might as well use it without pretending.

I simply stated my opinion. No need to call me incompetent for it.
  18. Sock

We don't just have paper. We have hundreds of hours of in game experience. NWA may look better on paper, but the way I play ASC suits me better. I don't need the extra health, I'd rather have my shield back, faster. No one called you incompetent until you mentioned it. Stop reading into posts so much.
  19. jak

I have 16d+ played in the class with both NWA and ASC maxed, so I do have more than paper to go off of...

Yeah, it's my opinion...I didn't call you incompetent. I have an opinion on the optimal way LA should be played; if that doesn't match up with how you play LA, there's nothing wrong with that. Simply means we disagree. I use the NS11C as my primary weapon, which I'm sure others have the opinion is not the proper weapon for a LA to mainly use.
  20. Sock

VX6-7 is better. Don't take it personally though.