L2P! My K/D is higher than yours!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Meeka, Sep 23, 2015.

1. OldMaster80

It took me a lot to detox myself from the kdr obsession and the game is much more enjoyable now. I support, i capture territories and I focus more how I kill my enemies instead of how enemies I kill.
  2. f0d

STATS MEAN NOTHING
    honestly they mean absolutely jack sheet

UNLESS you find them fun (something i dont understand but hey whatever floats your boat)
    ALL THAT MATTERS IS HOW MUCH FUN YOU HAVE
    if you play a certain way just to improve your stats and it isnt fun THEN WHY ARE YOU DOING IT?!?!?

if you enjoy running in and maybe getting a kill before you die THEN KEEP DOING IT, if you like to just spot from miles away as a sniper and not kill anything KEEP DOING IT, if you like just being in the game with the big battles even if you dont kill a single thing then KEEP DOING IT

NEVER let your stats get you down, if you dont enjoy the game because of your stats THEN YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG

FUN means everything
    STATS mean nothing
  3. f0d

100% YES
  4. Takara

This.....PS has never been about K/D there are some kids out there that like to think it is. They are ego mongers...anyone can get a high K/D in this game with little skill. I could always get a lighting and just camp behind enemy lines and spam away. Or just take a PPA scythe and never leave the zerg.

PS is more about how much you do with the life. Like you said SPH shows how much you contribute to the team. Most of the stuff that happens in this game get done by people willing to die. Not to mention you get people who drive. I tend to pilot a lib/harasser/MBT

So my gunners get most of the kills in two of those vehicles, I just get the EXP for support. A good pilot/driver is worth ten times his number in K/D ratio ******.

Hell my K/D hovers around a 2 depending on how much I drove that day. And this character has been around since the time of the OP lib and Pre nerfed explosives. Do you know how hard it was back then? *laughs* I remember passing over a sudny and getting 50 kills with six rounds out of my Zephyr...yea it was that crazy. I could go on a 50/1 KD three days in a row and my over all K/D would shift maybe .2 points :p It's all irrelevant. I even know people who have made new characters once they learned how to play just so they could have a higher K/D
  5. pnkdth

/thread.
  6. Amouris

See instead of throwing myself in the same fashion at the enemy I flank and kill the sundy in one go, that's the difference. Bashing your head against a wall until it falls down isn't something to be proud of.
  7. MarkAntony

i was with you right up until that point. don't tell other people what to like and what to prioritize.
    • Up x 2
  8. Meeka

Again, you missed the entire purpose of the post; I think the art of reading between the lines have been lost.
  9. Iridar51

More like the art of clearly expressing your thoughts.
  10. Meeka

There are some amazing players; but a singular stat focus doesn't reflect that. The over all picture does. :)

I'm one of the first players to admit I suck... I say it all the time when I Stream, and sometimes I invent amusing ways to die and suicide myself. Hell, I kill myself as much as other people kill me usually. :p
  11. Meeka

It was clearly ironic.
  12. Iridar51

No, it wasn't. Irony is not something one can properly express without voice.
  13. Meeka

Irony is situational, it's one of the easiest things to express without voice. :p

But,entirely off topic.
  14. MeltedRhino

They should delete KDR at least from the TAB window, so the players would stop getting obssessed with it and maybe they would start being usefull by capping a point or something, where are the skills in a guy that just runs around with his mossie, farming infantry and leaving and so on for 2 hours? Okay, maybe hes helping a bit the infantry, but hes killing the infantry vs infantry battle and he does not do that to help, he just wants to farm, get the kd higher.

Last night I was watching a YouTube video, a guy with a +5 KD in his ESF almost got killed, he bailed and ran to cap the point, he was confused because of how long did it take to cap the point, got even mad cause of it, cause "the s*** was sooo slow". Apparently that was like his 4th time capping a point. During all that he did not stop pressing TAB to check the score.

When you see that type of players you just loose hope, in your faction, in everyone in fact. I wonder why they play a game where the victory is based on teamplay. I mean, look at Battlefield, there is no sign of kd ratios in the ingame stats, you have to open your profile in the battlelog in order to check that useless stat.

There are little exceptions, but most of +3 kd players are just guys that run around with the heavy and its shield, mossies or prowlers.

I just wish that medics were more relevant in this game, like in battlefiled, it may not be a perfect franchise, not perfect games, but some things are just perfect, medics are the real heroes of most of the games there, but here? Why play as medic if you can just think about you, use your shield, your medkit and the rpg.

Another example while ingame, a battle ends, and a guy is mad cause X got 10 kills but had the 1 place in the score table because he revived 24343535 guys, so Z is mad, cause his 36 kills did get him the second place.

But at the end of the day you realize that most of these kdr obssessed a holes are Premium, or they regularly spend money in the game, so why would DBG even consider to delete such a thing like the KDR in the tab menú? To make their clients angry?

It breaks completely the game, but hey, since 90% of players are KD obssessed monkeys, what can we do? Just shuush and live with it. Im quite sure a dev would say "just dont look at it if you dont like it".

As I said before, BF franchise may not be perfect, but this game could leanr a couple of things from it to encourage players to play together instead of being the best of the best. ITs okay and awesome to have a page with stats, rankings and stuff, but the ingame stats are there to break the game, to put people into cod mode where the only thing that matters is killing more tan the rest.

Sorry for the long post, the summary would be to suggest DBG to remove the KD stats in the TAB window. I think it would change it a bit. The more clicks you need to check your kd the less you care to check it every 5 minutes.
  15. 000AmidimA000

Usually when I see a high KD, and high accuracy percentages... I think DBG hasn't gotten around to banning that guy yet. There are still definitely subtle ways to cheat and not get caught.
  16. Demigan

How can you compare the guy who sits in a spawnbunker all day or only rides Tanks and MAX's alongside a Zerg with the guy who leads squads into rooms, taking points, doing backdoor attacks? Or how can you put a value to the sniper? One can get his kills by picking off and softening up enemies coming towards the point, others pick off people going to a terminal doing the most minimal amount for their team possible.

Compare a vehicle user with an infantryman, and the vehicle user will nearly always have a better KD simply because tanks ARE powerful tools.

KD in this game is just about the worst statistic you can think off. You can kill 12 tanks and get 4 kills total (which I had just a week ago with no backup but a gunner), but people think it's a low score because... you know... I only got 4 kills. I killed 4 Harassers, 5 MBT's and 3 freaking Sunderers! And not one's that couldn't fight back either! But can you show those stats off? No!
    • Up x 1
  17. Scorpion97

And the poisonus part is when some wankers make fun of a player's stats,****** hell...i will NEVER forget the arseholes who insulted my stats becouse i was just explaining why the accuracy of the gatekeeper was making it kinda out of balance line!
  18. The Funk

The only important play styles and statistics are the ones that I am good at. The ones I am bad at don't matter because reasons.

Signed,
    Every person that ever played this game
    • Up x 1
  19. Liberty

In game stats are a lot like having a love for a sport. Growing up I loved playing basketball, when I was really young I played HORSE and what not, when I was a little older I got into the local community center league, and then later got into the school teams up through and including high school. By college, thanks to a blown out knee I was back to pick up games but still loved to play. There are points in time where you play to keep score, there are times when it is for fun and there times where it is a mix of fun and competitive and players in all of those categories can express a love for the game. The same way the 0.3 K/D Medic who tries to revive everyone, the 0.5 K/D "we must take that base" player, the 10 K/D lib gunner and the 3 K/D heavy who quickly hops from infantry fight to infantry fight can all find their own level of fun in planetside.

The point is : it is hard to compare the stats of one player vs. another because ultimately there will be different playstyles between the two. However, stats are also solid metrics to track personal performance and should never be dismissed. People who dump on players who play to improve themselves (calling them cowards, campers, etc) are every bit as bad as the person saying "My KDR is higher, I'm better than you".

Where stats come into play most (as in where players are judged on them) is when you see someone complaining about something on the forums. "This gun sucks, it is under performing" or "0.75 ADS is OP, pls nerf" says the 0.62 K/D player. Objectively, there is no way to tell if it is user error or the weapon actually has any problems. Sadly this usually gets worded into something like "Shut up noob scrub" which in reality is just a not so nice way of saying : "Sorry, we can't tell if the problems you are having are a result of personal limitations or actual issues with the weapon and you might have the same trouble discerning said problem."
    • Up x 1
  20. stalkish

No no, just the art of reasonable discussion.
    I just logged in to post this, the usual 'i just want to argue, anything will do' crowd are ignored when i log in.
    My advice, ignore anyone like that, suprisingly its very few names, and once done the forums become a much more enjoyable place to browse.