Koltyr

Discussion in 'Test Server: Announcements' started by PS2_Luke, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Desann

I got really excited reading this post!!!....the first time. Then after reading a few comments...went back and re-read the post.

At first i thought this was a new "player area". Then i re-read the "new-player" area. As a veteran...one who has played this game for YEARS i instantly felt out in the cold .... again. Sure it is important to help the new players, but us veterans who have played Planetside since 2007 need some freaking content. I have not played in about 2 weeks now due to boredom of PS2.

4 maps is a joke 2 years into this game. Especially with cont locking. Good on the DEVS for spending time to help the 1 month warriors (the new gamer noobs who log in, play for a month, then never come back and dont spend any MONEYYYYY) but dont forget about us PAYING veterans who crave more content besides new shiny guns and helmets and decals. THAT IS NOT GAMEPLAY CONTENT.

Maps
    Vehicles
    Alert modes
    Resource revamps
    Metagame 《-- there i said it

That is what the team needs to worry about. The new players need help from the veterans. We were all noobs once and we all figured this game out within a few hours of gameplay and talking to VETERANS of the game. Take care of the loyal vets, and we will help the noobs. I love telling a nooby a trick to make their Planetside lives easier. Listening to them say "wow i didnt know you could do that!" That is called community. And community keeps a game alive, not a kiddie playground within the vame. We already have the virtual sim. There is already a new tutorial, which needs work. Have new players log into sim first.
  2. Gammit

This would be awesome, and would likely get newbies to stick around for the main game.
    • Up x 1
  3. EvilWarLord

Is this a Battle Island or a new Continent i just started downloading the Pts
  4. Pikachu

FFS! Its a small continent exclusive to liw br characters.
    • Up x 1
  5. EvilWarLord

Maps tend too take a while to make, Vehicles Only Recent ones i heard of were the new ES flashes and Buggies Alert modes i do believe that the Devs are adding more at some point, Weapons I'm still waiting on a Bolt action NS sniper Rifle, they Changed the Resource system but i think they should have kept the Cool down timers, And yeah MetaGame Needs some changes If for example some one starts playing and wants to fly Bang destroyed right out of the gate. If only they had an Easier Air craft for newer Pilots.
  6. ComradeHavoc

Looking at it on PTS it's pretty amazing and would be perfect for massive, inch by inch battles. Shame it's a new player only playground.
    • Up x 2
  7. VonStalin

Can't wait for that, dying to friendly <10 brs to often (auraxium armor + dark camo might confuse them)... Sometimes they spawn in the room and just kill everybody around. They must be isolated..
    • Up x 1
  8. orbital

I see your point, I have a BR100 (BR 109 on stats.dasanfall.com ;) ) and a few medium BR alts since spring 2013 and I stuck with it and relish how difficult it was to get started. BUT, I had a couple of friends to get me into it IRL, then I joined their Outfit and so on - not every player gets that and I'm sure the DEVs have the data that shows how many new accounts are created then abandoned after a few days. I'm going to guess retaining 20 new players will pay for 1 veteran getting bored, especially when those veterans make noobs rage quit. not to mention WHEN new content is added a lot of the bored vets come back to the game. I run recursion and feel bad every time I get a "rage quit" on a - BR 5 and I hope they come back.
  9. orbital

the "noob island" will be optional and I'm hoping Devs make it painfully obvious that it's for noobs. I'm pointing this out because for me PS2 was awesome when I first started because it was so huge and overwhelming - completely different from the session based COD / Battlefield games that just feel tiny and limited now. I'm hoping the new players will still get that feeling even on Koltyr or at least be encouraged to go to Indar at some point - get fragged immediately then go back to Koltyr for more practice.

suggestions:
    • make it - BR10 and sub 100 (or something reasonable) directive score to keep out vets that just want to farm. I hate to say this because it would lock me out too but it's the right thing to do.
    • ditto the earlier suggestion to eventually open it to "like" BRs for tiny well matched fights, except match DIR score instead.
    • make it grant nanites at a higher rate for pulling vehicles and whatnot easier.
    • remove the awful awful shotguns from new accounts, grant them on BR11 if you want, but adding free shotguns was the worst. I get TKed by new players so much by these. you really need a permit to operate shotguns. this goes for NC's Bolt Driver too (so odd they get this to start). perhaps extend this to only being allowed tanks and Sunderers on Koltyr too until they're qualified to drive and not run over everybody on the regular continents.
    I do think this is great. VR is nice, I totally learned to fly in VR but I REALLY learned to fly on test where I got to kill live targets and get XP. this is just an example, learning the mechanics of the game in an "easy" environment that earns real points will help a lot of casual players to get hooked.
  10. Desann

Yes yes I do understand the importance of helping the new players. My problem is that lately it seems to be the focus, keep new players playing. I am just speculating here but the game population is probably trending downward and this is the reaction to that.

It is one thing to lose some potential noobies who probably will not spend a dime, and another to frustrate paying members who bring in steady revenue.

I truly see both sides of the coin, but as a veteran on one side of that coin, i cant help but feel strongly on veteran support. Content is what will keep this game going. The game needs to grow forward, not laterally.
  11. orbital

one word, PS4. console players really need this sort of hand holding.

I'm totally with you, new content should be high priority and and battle islands already exist so I don't know what the hold up is. I suspect battle islands are part of a larger change to the hex / cap / continent system and they'll need to get all the pieces in place. this little quality of life add-on for new players probably isn't taking away many resources.

plus, Hossin is only a few months old, that's a lot of new content we just got. the directives are also new and a huge change for veteran players who got BR100 but still grind away to unlock everything. the Devs have gotten a ton of stuff done in the last half a year and most of it has been great.

something must be going right, Emerald has tons of new players, sometimes I'll go hours before running into someone I already know on my own faction.
  12. Kirppu1

good stuff, noticed a few Anti-aliasing, environmental lighting and missing polygons on the mountains issues
  13. Onhil

I
    I do the same thing, but I become sad when I kills the same BR 1 over and over again and suddenly he's BR 2 and I still kill him over and over again.

But I always find it funny when I make 50 < rage quit
  14. NoctD

I'm not sure how these starter directives are going to work - I can't seem to find/get to the practice range?
  15. orbital

you have to deploy in a warpgate and go to Koltyr like VR through the terminal.
  16. orbital

I like the biolab there, they should throw out Ikanam and it's changes and do this instead. when I saw the obstacles protecting the elevators on the airpad it was a major head slapping DUH moment. this is all it takes to fix the biolab stalemates! not removing teleporters and that nonsense.
  17. NoctD

Yes I did get to Koltyr - but they tell you to kill 2 practice dummies in the directives. Is that in the VR and not Koltyr? Once you're in Koltyr, you can't get out.
  18. orbital

ooooooohhhhhh, lol. I didn't pay attention to directives last trip.

I would assume that dummies are only in VR. anyone know if they're on Koltyr?
  19. Pikachu

If youre not going go make a unique skyfile fro Koltyr tyen pick one that suits it more like that of VR would be good.
  20. XXBLACKATTACKXX

Dont know if you know about this but currently.

koltry Vanu warpgate is broken. No ground vehicles can be pulled and there is a invisible wall around the structure that you cannot get in our out of.

Also any VANU who exits the game on Koltry will get the 94% loading bug upon next re-log. this is not the case for the TR and NC accounts. Also making a new Vanu character gives the 94% bug again.

And if you go in an ESF you can escape the out of bounds area to a small sanctuary north of the bio lab behind the mountains, where you are not given the Out of Bounds warning.