Koltyr - I cant belive

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LtBomber1, Oct 20, 2015.

1. LtBomber1

Today I decided to recreate my TR Char to get the best out of the free 1-15 lvl 100 certs. And what would be better then trying Koltyr, too? Ok, to make long things short, this was my 30 min experince:

-I was the only TR there: Not a problem, i know the game, but Newbs would be ****
    -Ghostcapping to Lvl 5...
    -Ok, at this point i stumpled into some really new VS players, switched to yellchat. Asked if the have some questions and how to use yellchat, but the keept scraching my mossie with beamers...
    -very obvious Hacker showed up...
    -quit

And if i was really new, i would have quit for good... and at this point i understand why newbs have a hard time and the game is struggling.

So pls, fix it! (Easy to say, hard to perform)
    • Up x 1
  2. Eternaloptimist

Not a good first experience for sure. I'm a relatively competent subscriber/player of most classes who has created a free account to use Koltyr as a personal learning ground on how to use those classes I've never tried or which I was so bad at I never persevered (mainly LA and stalker infil so far).

I've not seen Koltyr deserted although 1-12 fights seem to be the norm - rarely larger and then only on one faction over popping the other. So I guess genuinely new players are in for a big shock when they graduate and then land in their first really big fight. Can't say I've seen any obvious hackers and only one farmer (playing as infantry) personally but I've no doubt they are there. What is unfortunate (I put it no more strongly than that) is low BR alts on accounts that have account-bound weapons. Getting gibbed by Blackhand, NS7PDW or lock on launcher for example must be a bit downer for the genuinely new player. OK maybe you can earn enough points for the launcher from scratch while still in Koltyr or pay DBC up front but on BR5 or BR6 I'm guessing they're more likely account bound.

Other than that, it is the players trying to learn to fly I feel most sorry for. I've seen them getting mown down by AA turrets and the occasional player who is obviously a more skilled flyer than most. I still think Koltyr is a good concept and it must give more preparation than previously for new players but it ain't perfect. Not sure what could be done though as anyone can create a BR1 alt and get in, like me though I have honorable intention in doing so....obviously I can't do anything about the fact that my situational awareness is noticeably better than many players in Koltyr except try not to take advantage of the fact.
  3. FieldMarshall

Here are my first impressions of Koltyr. I have played since release and decided to try Koltyr a few weeks ago.
    There was a large fight in the middle of the map, and everyone seemed to run in random directions doing their own thing.
    You could definitely tell people were new. Basic awareness was non existent and everyone was really farmable.

I noticed one guy who kept making new alts when he reached BR15.
    Every time he did, he announced that he was back in /y. He was clearly not a newbie learning the game.
    He was there to farm people, while gloating over how much better than everyone else he was.

I think the problem with Koltyr is that experienced players are allowed there.
    There is no way to stop people from making new characters and going to Koltyr.
    Even if access to Koltyr was account based, so you cant make alts. You could still make free accounts.

Situational awareness is way more valuable than being able to aim well.
    As a new player, bad situational awareness can make you feel like "hackers" are everywhere.

All this combined probably gives new players a bad first experience with PS2.
    Its still better than the old system though, that insta-action dropped you somewhere randomly on the map before you can even configure your controls.
    But to be fair, there is less chance of encountering experienced players on Koltyr than the normal continent.
  4. NinjaKirby

I have seen this said a lot, for many different Online Games over time.

And, I do not doubt it happens, but to be compelled/bothered enough to create one New Account after another, just to farm newbies and inflate ones Ep3n1s, I will never understand.

What happened in your life for this course of action to be, A) Worthwhile, B) Satisfactory, C) Entertaining etc.

I just literally cannot comprehend. I would stand a better chance of fathoming the true scale of the Observable Universe and devising a perfected finalised Standard Model to explain it.

Also, DBG FIX YOUR FORUM, Christ!

I just noticed it's probably since you transferred Domain Names a few weeks ago (or a problem inherent to the steps taken to accomplish it), but Firefox (v41.02, two different profiles tested) flags up an potentially insecure connection for every Login Authentication attempt, and in IE11 the Textbox for inputting my Forum posts grows taller with EVERY single character entry. Oh yeah, and the Quote button doesn't work when I do log in with IE11.

I'm writing this post in bloody Notepad...

And I shouldn't need to test/install a third Internet Browser.
  5. Taemien

Koltyr.. even if it worked Perfectly, no vets, no cheats, plenty of new players, equal sides... would have ONE nagging flaw:

False pretenses. Players would be shell shocked when getting BR 15 and kicked to the main continents. And I don't agree that this was better than the 'welcome to planetside' first drop. At least then you were humbled right from the get go.

Every MMORPG starts you in a newbie area, then by level 10 you're moved on to a slightly more challenging area, then by 20-30 the gloves come off and it gradually gets harder and harder. Eventually you make it to endgame and earn your gear with a preformed team.

In PS2... you are thrown into a newbie area and then into 'endgame' right after. There's no leveling content in PS2. You just fight and fight and get your levels and your gear as you fight along. And that's how it has to be. Its entirely PVP. We don't have the player base to separate players based on levels, we barely have enough newbies to justify Koltyr.

Two things need to happen.

1. Squads, Platoons, and Outfits (Outfits especially) need to integrate newbies on a regular basis. Make them part of a team. Get them the experience, the knowledge, and the practice they need to survive and thrive. 90% of newbies leave by BR10 (stat from the Executive Creative Director of Daybreak). This is because they start off soloing in a team oriented game. This isn't like other MMOs, you can't solo to max level then group. You gotta group from the get go.

2. Culture of North America, Europe, and the Pacific needs to change back to being more rugged and competitive over this 'participation' BS we have now. Where everyone is a 'winner' for participating. These players are quitting because they are challenged and don't realize that the challenge is the point. Look at these threads popping up from even experienced players. The ones about snipers, the ones about mines at vehicle pads, the ones about griefers at warpgates, ect. Instead of dealing with the problems ingame, they whine to a dev for help like its some teacher in a playground that will tell the bully to stop.

In addition we have this mentality that people lose because someone else did something vile to win. No, you lose because you lost. Players win because they won. Its personal actions or inactions. Personal responsibility needs to be taken by newbies and veterans alike. Not quoting stats in a vain attempt to gain 'schoolyard teacher' favor (aka devs) to change your status for you. This community as a whole could do tons better if they sucked up and tried to win instead of dinking around trying to get little buffs for themselves. And stop using stats to justify their ineptitudes.

New players see this drivel and think the game is honestly a total mess. Well they don't realize that if it were that bad, no one would play it. No one is stupid enough to play a mess of a game. Not even the special needs kids with helmets. And that just furthers their justification for leaving. Sorry but when I can login at any time, play for a few hours, get some stuff done, get some kills, maybe win an alert or two... the game isn't nearly as bad as the forums make it out to be. Especially when I don't see a crash except once in maybe a month or two.

Its all agenda based drivel. Nothing more. Players need to spend that energy into playing the game and winning. That would do wonders to helping new players stay.

I just tested this in Microsoft Edge and Chrome, you might want to consider updating your browsers. Internet Explorer is probably a deprecated browser at this point.
    • Up x 1
  6. lothbrook

Whenever you make it even a little bit difficult for people to do things, you typically see huge drops in the number of people doing them, people can make another account sure, but i'd wager the number of people that do it is going to be far lower than the number of people who just make an alt and go there.
  7. Goldmonk

I agree. Seriously, those first few drops really tested you and you would find out real quick whether or not this game is for you. Were there ways to improve it? Hell yes. But it tested your grit and if you preserved, you could really come out on top.