Kinetic or flak armor which adds resistance to Banshee fire?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Shamrock, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Shamrock

A good banshee pilot using cover ( i.e hovering behind ridge/canyon/building etc ) can pop out and alpha strike a flak AA MAX while for e.g their attention is on another aircraft. Often this happens so fast there is no time to react, I was wondering if anyone knows if the damage type of the banshee as the tool tip says it uses explosive rounds, this would indicate flak as the choice, but the gun is just a huge rotary implying kinetic would be better. If anyone knows the actual damage type id be grateful if you would let me know.
  2. Inex

If I remember right, the direct hit damage is kinetic, and the splash is explosive. Meaning that both resistance slots will help, but only against half of the Banshee's overall damage.

Beyond that, the Banshee does so much damage that even if you did have a real resistance slot your best defence is still just having a nearby medic.
  3. minhalexus

Flak armor.

Banshee does more splash than direct :p.
  4. AnuErebus

Even with max flak or max kinetic, you're still going to die to a Banshee long before you're able to do much against it. They're beyond ridiculous when it comes to their damage against MAXes. Take whatever slot is going to protect you against alternative threats, if a banshee mossie is pointed at you you're best bet is to hit charge and get under cover before he starts firing.
  5. Leivve

or go ninja, flip through the air and backhand him across the face.
  6. UnDeaD_CyBorG

I dunno, if I play Heavy with Flak, the Banshee (I wish I had something comparable as VS) normally takes ~2 seconds to kill me, 3 with shield.
    Should be enough time to hit the charge button on a MAX.
  7. Inex

That's because they're far enough away that they aren't getting direct hits. Banshee splash with R5 Flak only does a max of 100 damage. If you were being hit directly the Banshee would have a TTK of 0.2s at most (0.15s w/o Flak).

MAXs are much larger targets, so they're going to be taking more face shots.
  8. Goretzu

There isn't really a good choice against the Banshee, unfortunately.
  9. BITES

This pretty much. I've tried both with little success.

Pre-Nerf Shredder was the same ... a nightmare, but now its not so bad, doing AA etc .. if I hear that 100cert farm cannon I just avoid it .. and "MLGYOLO" spawn AA (I hate doing that ... so cowardly ... but whatcha gunna do?)

This one of my MAX life goals ... I've already figured out how to kill lightnings and sunderers using only MAX punch, but planes are so squirrelly!
  10. MajiinBuu

I usually use flak armor. It's enough to survive the first clip, but they will usually reload before you can finish them
  11. Leivve

The secret is chaos emeralds, and/or riding lock-on missiles and jumping off when they pop flares.
  12. BITES

I've been suggesting (and it will never be implemented .. just for lulz)... the "MAX Magno backpack!!!"
    Walk up to any vehicle etc .. click backpack .. boom magnetized to aircraft/tank .... it would be so awesome :B
  13. Goretzu

That's about the only way to go as you can't actually play directly against it given equal skill and numbers (or you can but you will die a lot).
  14. Xasapis

Well, since Shredder lost it's explosive component, it became an inaccurate LMG fired from an unstable moving platform from ranges well beyond what normal infantry would engage. No wonder it's no longer a problem for infantry.
  15. Reccettear

that's it. i can count the number of times when i killed a full hp max in one clip (rank3 ? 34 rounds) on one hand. this is only possible if the max doesnt pay attention to me so i can get real close and have a good headstart with a lot of direct hits.
    in a normal 1vs1 a double burster will easily come out ahead.

that said, if you have trouble with said attention the flak armor will help more. it's definitly going to protect from the splash dmg of the banshee and most other things that could be thrown at you.
    the direct dmg uses the "aircraft machine gun" resistances, i'm not sure wether this is even included in the kinetic armor cuz that one is against anti-infantry/small arms which refers to another resistance value.
  16. Niramartlu

You can't oneclip fullflak max with a banshee unless you are risking coming very close, have a maximum clip size and max is not moving at all. Problem is a second weapon, most farmers usually have rockets and it is very hard not to die to banshee + rocket salvo combo.